Gibson Brands Forums

Custom guitar

Hey guys!!

First post here, and I've got a small question! I've been looking into getting a new (to me) Les Paul and have seen some decently priced used ones on the web.

One of the merchants are actually selling a few gutted out Les Pauls with only the neck and body. So I thought it would be cool to possibly do a completely custom guitar!

My only issue is that I'm not totally sure how many components truly go into doing this correctly.

Would anyone happen to know enough to tell me EVERY piece of hardware/electronics that I would need to purchase? Including the quantity of these parts?

I know the obvious things I'd need like pickup rings (I have a pair of 57's I plan to throw in), knobs, input jack and tuning heads etc. But I'm not very familiar with the wiring and the electronics. i.e. pots and such.

A full list would be SO appreciated!

Thank you guys!

-MNMUSIC9312

P.S. Attached is the picture of the aforementioned body

les paul body,pdf.pdf

Hey MN,

Welcome to the forum! I'm not the one/s to answer your question but I think you need to be more specific. For example, is there a model of LP you are trying to duplicate?

You came to the right place for answers so enjoy the forum!

Hey guys!!

First post here, and I've got a small question! I've been looking into getting a new (to me) Les Paul and have seen some decently priced used ones on the web.

One of the merchants are actually selling a few gutted out Les Pauls with only the neck and body. So I thought it would be cool to possibly do a completely custom guitar!

My only issue is that I'm not totally sure how many components truly go into doing this correctly.

Would anyone happen to know enough to tell me EVERY piece of hardware/electronics that I would need to purchase? Including the quantity of these parts?

I know the obvious things I'd need like pickup rings (I have a pair of 57's I plan to throw in), knobs, input jack and tuning heads etc. But I'm not very familiar with the wiring and the electronics. i.e. pots and such.

A full list would be SO appreciated!

Thank you guys!

-MNMUSIC9312

P.S. Attached is the picture of the aforementioned body

Hi MNMUSIC; welcome to the forums.

As Marky said; we'd need some further information to assist fully; are you looking for a vintage sounding LP, or something with a modern bite?

Are you in the US, or elsewhere in the world? If you let me know, we can help find places for the parts you'll need.

With regards to the wiring, there are plenty of sites out there with diagrams and schematics; one that I've used before is Guitar Electronics; very helpful library.

Also on eBay there will be several places that sell a pre-wired harness; all you have to do is solder-in your pickup leads - the capacitors and pots are already done. It's also something I do myself on occasion, I've done custom wiring for some people before, so I could provide one for you if required.

Let us know what you're after.

Hello!

What You will need are:

1.) Machine heads (check how the holes drilled on the back of the headstock. Look for ones that fit into existing holes - so You don't have to drill new ones.)

2.) Tailpiece with it's studs (Look for Gibson USA sized studs).

3.) Bridge with it's thumbwheels (again, don't confuse it with Epiphone or import sized ones).

4.) Jack socket with mounting plate (and it's screws).

5.) Pickup surrounds (with it's screws). Look for arched ones. The neck/bridge pickup surrounds have different heights.)

6.) Pickup selector switch and it's ring (optional - "Rhythm/Treble").

7.) Pickups. (Neck/bridge pickups' pole-piece spacing might be different - depends on model and manufacturer).

8.) A pair of volume, and a pair of tone pots. A pair of capacitors. Wires. The most convenient way is to purchase a pre-wired assembly.

9.) Pickguard with it's mounting bracket and screws (optional).

10.) Truss rod cover. Switch and control cavity covers.

11.) Strap buttons. I'd suggest locking ones: Dunlop, Schaller, etc.

12.) 4 pot knobs.

I hope, I didn't missed anything. But if I did, - I am sure - someone will correct it soon.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome!

I didn't even think to add that information [razz]

To answer Marky's question, I'm not looking to replicate any specific model year; and to answer your's I would like to shoot for something with a more vintage tone, seeing as how I compensate " modern bite" with my distortion pedal since I play/practice rock techniques.

I'm really looking to manipulate various distortion levels without sacrificing the over all clarity of my tone.

Tone examples I'd like to emulate:

• Vintage: "Alright Now" by Free

• Modern: Everything Changes by Staind

I'm based out of Minnesota.

I had come across guitarelectronics.com, and I would agree it seemed very helpful.

On the matter of pre-wired harnesses, how much more work would I ACTUALLY need to do if I purchased these?

This would mean I just drop in my pups and solder them in?

Also, does long-shaft/short-shaft only imply the volume/tone knobs will jut out a certain length from the body depending on which I buy?

Hi MNMUSIC; welcome to the forums.

As Marky said; we'd need some further information to assist fully; are you looking for a vintage sounding LP, or something with a modern bite?

Are you in the US, or elsewhere in the world? If you let me know, we can help find places for the parts you'll need.

With regards to the wiring, there are plenty of sites out there with diagrams and schematics; one that I've used before is Guitar Electronics; very helpful library.

Also on eBay there will be several places that sell a pre-wired harness; all you have to do is solder-in your pickup leads - the capacitors and pots are already done. It's also something I do myself on occasion, I've done custom wiring for some people before, so I could provide one for you if required.

Let us know what you're after.

Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome!

I didn't even think to add that information [razz]

To answer Marky's question, I'm not looking to replicate any specific model year; and to answer your's I would like to shoot for something with a more vintage tone, seeing as how I compensate " modern bite" with my distortion pedal since I play/practice rock techniques.

I'm really looking to manipulate various distortion levels without sacrificing the over all clarity of my tone.

Tone examples I'd like to emulate:

• Vintage: "Alright Now" by Free

• Modern: Everything Changes by Staind

I'm based out of Minnesota.

I had come across guitarelectronics.com, and I would agree it seemed very helpful.

On the matter of pre-wired harnesses, how much more work would I ACTUALLY need to do if I purchased these?

This would mean I just drop in my pups and solder them in?

Also, does long-shaft/short-shaft only imply the volume/tone knobs will jut out a certain length from the body depending on which I buy?

Thanks for the reply; it helps narrow down what we can do.

Your comment on a pre-wired harness is spot-on; it is indeed the case that you drop in your pickups by soldering them to the lugs of a pot, and grounding them; so 4 connections in total. The rest is done for you. This is an example.

On the StewMac product; you've got a USA-made Gibson guitar, so you'd need to go for the long shaft version to clear the thickness of the Maple cap. Make sure that anything you get along these lines has long shaft pots.

"Orange Drops" (a nickname given to a particular capacitor model) and PIO (paper-in-oil) capacitors are where you want to be for vintage tone. If you want to go proper-vintage, and spend a few notes more; you can get a harness with historic "bumblebee" capacitors, so-named for their appearance.

Archived