Gibson Brands Forums

A Band Story

kidblast

I don't write these kind of posts much, but I felt like sharing.. :)

Met up with some old band mates a few days ago. After being together for about 25 years, our bass player Bill relocated back to his home in New Brunswick. (Fall of 2013). He's been in the US since he was a kid. Reluctantly decided it was time to try his luck back in NB where a job opportunity had surfaced for him.

So we more or less officially ended it when Bill initially moved. (I've since moved on to another project with the Drummer.)

The house finally sold recently. They are now back to do the final packing. So we got together for a few hours, had a few cocktails, a lot of laughs and yes, even a few tears.

We ran under the name Elixr back in the club playing days. I wasn't one of the original members, neither was the drummer but all of us being locals, we knew all each other, and even played together on occasions in other endeavors. But it was the four of us who were together the longest and where our brotherhood was formed.

We became quite popular in the club circuit in the area in the early to late 90s, had a lot of write ups and reviews in the local papers, it was pretty cool that we got a bit of attention like that. We'd always have a big crowd, the gigs were usually a real good time. We had a good run, made for some great memories. Great guys, with great families.

In 2000, we decided we change direction, focused on our own music. From that point on, we wrote / recorded about 25 tunes and pretty much left the club circuit, (everyone had enough of the clubs by then).

So Wednesday, was they day we all knew was coming, The finale farewell. We all know that nothing lasts forever, but was kind of hard to say that last "see ya" in the parking lot at the bar we met at. I'm very grateful for the and the chance to create the music we did made. Love these guys like brothers, do it all again in a heart beat. Hard to believe 25 years goes by that fast.

Here's a snap during a promo shoot for a benefit back in 2007. That's me lower left, Dave (Drummer) to my right, Bill (bass player) behind me and Billy (Singer) upper right (and yes 2 guys named Bill in the band. I used to tell people the real name of the band was 2 Bills And The Spare Change Gang. [biggrin] )

band1_zpsxv8ca2gx.jpg

Here's a link to a few of our tunes that I put up on my sound cloud page if anyone wants to give a listen. I think we did some great songs.

Like to know what you guys think.

Elixr - Pleasure And Pain, recorded around 2002.

Elixr - Seasons Change, recorded in 2007

Elixr - Lessons of Life, recorded in 2010.

Elixr - Refusal, also around 2010.

/Ray

There's a special kind of intimacy that forms when you bond in a creatively telepathic environment. Even more so if you tour together. I don't think I've had the opportunity to have the one farewell toast to a band. The dissolution always becomes obvious though.

The last 'real' band I was in was splintering for some time before our last gig, and even though it was never officially recognized as such, it was quite obvious that it would be. My own reluctance to see it end was made evident during our last ever tune when I simply refused to stop playing. I repeated the coda of the tune several times, and as the other guys woult hit their final chord, I simply restarted playing the coda.

I miss those guys I have been in bands with and conveniently forget all the rough times and remember only the shared creativity.

Thanks for sharing your own story.

Thanks for sharing something so personal. I have been in your shoes. Band mates can be just like brothers. In fact my bass player from the 70s is coming for a visit on Sunday. Before my wife became ill, I would go back to Pennsylvania each year to do a cancer benefit show. We raised a lot of money and never took a cent. I miss everyone of them every day. Being on the road together for almost 9 years can not only get the band tight, it can make for fond memories of brothers from other mothers.

Good songs Ray. I am often amazed by just how professional some people's stuff sounds on here (although I shouldn't be). But I found myself thinking that I could easily have heard those self-same songs on a CD produced by some big name band.

So well done and very happy memories! [thumbup]

Getting old kinda sucks, but the memories are priceless and I swear I wouldn't trade a MINUTE of all of those 35+ years gigging bars all over the United States for all of my hearing.............

<_<

Good songs Ray. I am often amazed by just how professional some people's stuff sounds on here (although I shouldn't be). But I found myself thinking that I could easily have heard those self-same songs on a CD produced by some big name band.

So well done and very happy memories! [thumbup]

Thank you pin, I appreciate that. Thanks for listening!

Getting old kinda sucks, but the memories are priceless and I swear I wouldn't trade a MINUTE of all of those 35+ years gigging bars all over the United States for all of my hearing.............

<_<

I know Murph, the alternative to getting old is dying young! I'll take getting old!

Good story, and I like the songs Ray. [thumbup]

I've played in mostly small time cover bands since the mid 1990s. We've done some originals here and there too, but never recorded an official CD or anything. We sometimes wold slip some of the originals into he live set.

But yes, there is a certain camaraderie you get with a group of people all working together to make music. It can be like a telepathy between the musicians when it's at it's best. Then there's the bond of going through gigs together. Not just the playing, but all the packing and set-up and then sitting with these people at a diner at 3am after the gig. You just don't go through these experiences with normal friends.

In my case, I've had one very good friend who's been a part of just about every band I've played with over the years. It's coming up on 1 year ago, June 7, that he passed away suddenly right in the middle of a jam at his house. We had just finished an extended impromptu jam of "Sympathy For the Devil" when he tumbled off his drum stool right at my feet. All the members still haven't really gotten over the shock of that night. We've gotten together a few times since then with another drummer and have played 1 gig, but it's just not the same without Ed.

I hastily made 2 slide shows for his funeral. I am not really experienced in doing these, so it's not the most professional looking and I had to use the photos I already had or quickly try to get some from other friends. But I think the great times and friendship shows through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXKzKwCrp5c

hey Saturn,

I know what you are saying, I played in a band with my wife's brother Jim from like 1980 thru the later part of 92 Jim was diagnosed with Cancer in 93, and he passed in 96.

I still work with 2 of the guys from that band, the guy who replaced him is someone we've known all our lives, it sort of was the logical choice given the situation.

Thx for sharing your story with us again and the slide show you made.

Archived