Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with ES-325

Hi!

Been looking for a 1972 Gibson ES-325 (inspired by the one played by Kings of Leon's Caleb Followill). Judging by the one played by Caleb (which Gibson repaired, seen here), three things stand out to me about it:

• The pickup covers had the "Gibson" name embossed (quote from Gibson: "it has the “Gibson” name embossed on the pickup covers and Gibson only did that for one year — 1972.")
  • The headstock has no writing or symbols on it
  • The tuning keys are chrome

All-original (supposedly) 1972 Gisbon ES-325s pop up for sale from time to time, but a few differences pop up between them:

• "Gibson" might not be embossed on the pickup covers
  • The headstock has the crown looking symbol on it (see pic below)
  • The tuning keys are pearloid (again, see pic below)

VKLREH0m.jpg

One seller even told me that there are two versions of the 325 and many differences between both. Is this true? Are all these variations normal for the same model year?

Thanks so much!

• 2 years later...

This was a short-lived, entry level model which is less well documented than many other models.

It seems logical that some 325's would have embossed pickup covers and some would not, because Gibson was doing that on some models in the 1970-72 period, and then stopped, along with the fact that the 325 was produced from 1972-79.

As far as tuners and crown inlay vs no crown inlay, more research would be required. Since people are apt to do so much modifying of guitars, it's probably a bad idea to jump to any conclusions based on the features of guitars that turn up on the market after 40+ years. That said, my guess is that certain feature changes could very well have occurred on a model like that, which was not well-established in Gibson's catalog. In other words, they were probably more likely to tinker with things on an "experimental" model like the 325.

Here are a couple of webpages with more info on the 325 model:

http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/ES325TD.php

http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1975_thinline_7.php

Archived