Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul fake flaw modded?

I have a supposed 07 Gibson Les Paul Classic.

First, it has all Gibson electronics and pickups. Pickups shown are not original but I have the original 498 and 500T.

Pickguard, jackplate, pickup rings, knobs, and switch plate have all been changed to make it look like Bonamassa style.

It appears to have the correct body cavities. I compared it to another genuine Classic that I have. But there are no markings in cavities. I don't know if it was repainted. It is a goldtop. Not sure if goldtop is original color or repaint.

The serial no is a printed number on back of headstock like a Classic. But also has another different serial number embossed in clear coat on back of headstock also. Has Made In USA embossed in clear coat also. Definitely not a Classic marking. But previous owner said he contacted Gibson and found it to be a mistake from factory.

On front of headstock it says {Les Paul Model} not {Les Paul Classic}.

Fretboard inlays are yellowish/greenish like a Classic.

Gibson logo on headstock looks like it was touched up with some sort of paint. Really sloppy. But looks like inlay is correct.

Fretboard binding looks good and body binding matches color.

Truss rod is nut type not allen.

So.....any comments? Anybody got any insight on this?

Thanks

Here are some pictures: http://s296.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true

Your picture link does not work for me,

however.. this..

it should not be. it should be a hex bolt...

check the back of the neck,, if you see scarf joint, that's not right. no scarf joint -> [thumbup]

other things to look for too but without seeing photos... :-k

regarding the serial numbers..

But previous owner said he contacted Gibson and found it to be a mistake from factory.

possible..

Your picture link does not work for me,

however.. this..

check the back of the neck,, if you see scarf joint, that's not right. no scarf joint -> [thumbup]

regarding the serial numbers..

But previous owner said he contacted Gibson and found it to be a mistake from factory.

possible..

20150522_225359_zpsdv95bvew.jpg?1432387411706&1432387412369

hi again..

I don't see any huge red flags with the physical aspect of this.

(no real red flags.)

the serial number is a conundrum,, no idea about why that would be there's gotta be someone here who would know something about that. it is possible what you were told is the deal but who knows.

hi again..

I don't see any huge red flags with the physical aspect of this.

(no real red flags.)

the serial number is a conundrum,, no idea about why that would be there's gotta be someone here who would know something about that. it is possible what you were told is the deal but who knows.

Thanks for the reply.

Should also mention that both serial numbers indicate 2007.

I would love to see how a truss rod, consisting of a bolt affixed to a threaded hole in the body, rotated in its entirety, would hold up without breaking under torque.

I would love to see how a truss rod, consisting of a bolt affixed to a threaded hole in the body, rotated in its entirety, would hold up without breaking under torque.

ya man, you can hose a truss rod pretty easily.

it's one of those things that, if you have no idea what yer doing, just let er be and see about taking it somewhere.

I was referring to the fact that the adjustable part is a nut. If the bolt were the adjustable part, the truss rod would never hold up. It would twist and break. It would have to screw into a hole in the neck, and this is simply not how truss rods are constructed. The classic Gibson-style one-way truss rod is a bolt, run into a perpendicular section of rod to hold it into the neck, capped with a nut that is the part you rotate with the wrench.

Archived