Gibson Brands Forums

'Side-effect' - Weekend Poll #1

E-minor7

'Just listened on the wired earmuffs, and, gotta tell you, the impression here was that the non 'bone actually sounded better in the ringy stuff played at the beginning of the clips. But then, in the bluegrass, the Herringbone Collings may've sounded better (?). I dunno. I am a big fan of comparison clips, and to these ears, it's less tricky when the clips are short, almost down to 3 to 5 seconds of a simple phrase or a let-it-ring bit.

Also- something funny going on in this (these) recording(s); although new (tight sounding) guitars, it is almost as if the guitars were too powerful for the mic' distance? Maybe get a little more of the room? Both beautiful sounding guitars, and very nice playing.

My ears are on vacation this weekend so I didn't hear anything but I agree with the sentiment that much shorter samples are better.

As to the "science" behind the experiment, the theory is that "decades of building experience provide an assured opinion that the top routing for the inlay increases ease of top movement, by thinning the top at the outer edge of the rim where it is attached to the kerfing."

Sounds like the same principle as Taylor's Relief Route 'cept it's on the outside and filled with some binding material. Taylor: "Our patented relief rout is a tone-enhancing voicing technique in which a groove is carved along the inside edges of the top. This groove ... “loosens up” the edges of the top, generating extra flexibility without sacrificing structural integrity. The result is increased bass and volume with a balanced tone."

I'm sure the efficacy of Taylor's routing has been discussed at length on one of the other forums.

Thanks for the Weekend Poll idea, EM7. Makes me want to check in on the weekend. Whatever happened to the New Song Sunday feature? Some very nice music came up through that.

FMA

I voted Yes because I have 2 Herringbone Martins - one bold herringbone and one fine herringbone - so it has to be different - right? (HD28v and OM28 Marquis).

As for the recordings, I know zip about Collings dreads, but think maybe perhaps the herringbone had a whisker or two more bass and fullness! (Probably closer to the mic....) I first listened through the iPad speakers and guess what? They sounded like guitars! I just listened through my medium price Sennheisers.

BluesKing777.

My ears are on vacation this weekend so...

FMA

FullMental- This is the vacation part- any acoustic guitar sounds going into the ears vs the noise of work in the salt mines!

So; is this what you were referring to?

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-23%20at%209.36.07%20PM_zpslpovjj9r.png

A fuzzy Taylor interior (above). As far as the removal of soundboard material to fit the herringbone inlay, might not the advantages of thinning of the top be negated, and top vibration possibly further muted by the additional layers of stuff (h-bone inlay, glue) to restrict movement of the top?

Just as Adirondack Spruce is credited for sounding more alive than Sitka, an overlooked feature of Adi is that it's greater stiffness allows for builders to use a thinner top, which may be in some measure just as responsible for it's sound qualities. Not necessarily just because it's "Adi". This potential mis-attribution logic is illustrated in this think-piece by Steve Martin in "The Jerk" ("more cans!"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXRM3lFRwRI

BK7^3; interesting that you were listening for fullness of sound, and bass presence: I was listening for clarity. Different times, different things look appetizing on the menu.

So; is this what you were referring to?

As far as the removal of soundboard material to fit the herringbone inlay, might not the advantages of thinning of the top be negated, and top vibration possibly further muted by the additional layers of stuff (h-bone inlay, glue) to restrict movement of the top?

Just as Adirondack Spruce is credited for sounding more alive than Sitka, an overlooked feature of Adi is that it's greater stiffness allows for builders to use a thinner top, which may be in some measure just as responsible for it's sound qualities. Not necessarily just because it's "Adi". This potential mis-attribution logic is illustrated in this think-piece by Steve Martin in "The Jerk" ("more cans!"):

Appears to be exactly what I was referring to. And one would think that the addition of inlay might alter the sound, but the routed-only version wasn't included on the test. (Apparently Taylor has patented it--at least on the inside and a route with no filler on the outside probably would not sell well).

And I think you're spot on on the Adirondack (and on Steve Martin).

FMA

I voted nay because there is more than just the one variable in play. And even if one could take off the herringbone and move it back and forth between each guitar keeping it as the only physical part that is changing I would still say nay due to other variables outside of the instrument, like humidity. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone here heard any two acoustic guitars that sound exactly alike?

I voted nay because there is more than just the one variable in play. And even if one could take off the herringbone and move it back and forth between each guitar keeping it as the only physical part that is changing I would still say nay due to other variables outside of the instrument, like humidity. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone here heard any two acoustic guitars that sound exactly alike?

Not really -- I think it is almost impossible to make two wood acoustic guitars sound the same in a careful side-by-side test, even if they have exactly the same specs.

Archived