Gibson Brands Forums

Vigilante man - Ry Cooder cover -slide LG-2

flatbaroque

Thanks Murph!

Cheers BK.I did study a live clip of Ry doing this...even slowing down to half speed, but there were so many nuances I just couldn't seem to pick up. Things I hear in your playing too, very subtle but evident when someone can really play slide.

But I managed enough licks to get a version together even if it's way off the original source.

Awesome autumn photo's in your thread, looks as though the guitar grew in the garden.

Thanks Murph!

Cheers BK.I did study a live clip of Ry doing this...even slowing down to half speed, but there were so many nuances I just couldn't seem to pick up. Things I hear in your playing too, very subtle but evident when someone can really play slide.

But I managed enough licks to get a version together even if it's way off the original source.

Awesome autumn photo's in your thread, looks as though the guitar grew in the garden.

Thanks FB.

No expert here really, see Tom Feldmann for that, but a helpful slide tip for me was playing very, very simple gospel vocal on one string, trying to make it human......then add a bass drone. Easy, eh? [unsure]

The way out there extension of that idea is Fred Mac's style and even harder, Blind Willie Johnson.

BluesKing777.

Great stuff FB, this is right down you alley ... and what about the slide !

Where did that come from, love it, have you been working on slide for long time ?

Ive always wanted to try it but never got around to it ...

[thumbup]

Good on ya EA! I have mucked around a little with a slide but always get frustrated at lack of progress.I was determined to get something down this time.So many directions to wander into with acoustic guitars.You'd probably enjoy having go I think.Open D or Open G tuning and a bit of a google should come up with something to try.Oh yea your LG-2 will sound pretty nice with a bit of slide too.

It's mostly there. A couple of things to lock it in tighter. The arrangement is good, tho some times Ry plays the first part of the melody ("Tell me why") on the top two strings. In terms of slide technique, Im seeing a tendency to angle the slide over much, especially on the faster single notes. When that happens, you dont quite all of the note or get it quite on pitch. When you slide up to the 5th fret, its more solid. Im wondering if your slide is heavy enough?--looks on the thin side. Think you'd make more solid contact with the string using a heavier one. Also, damp a little more behind the slide--that will kill some of the downstream noise and make for a clearer note. Always dig the singing.

Archived