Gibson Brands Forums

Green Studio PUPs???

jbear

I traded for another Studio and it is transparent green with gold hardware. It plays as nicely as you could want. I do not dig the gold bling, so...I put the locking Grovers from my Trad. Pro on there along with a Gotoh bridge and tailpiece that were in the parts drawer. So my question...what are the PUPS in there? They are braided wire Gibson USA stamped...sound great. Would these be 490/498 or might they be 57's or...?

The only issue is a cold solder joint somewhere (or a bad pot?). The bridge PUP volume is much lower than the neck.

I wouldn't normally have been interested in a green non-Fender guitar but this one just plays so good...had to do it!

Not sure of the year...I can check.

One more diagnostic...smaller trapezoid inlays.

A multimeter will tell you a lot. Hook up a cable to the guitar, then put one lead from the meter on the tip, and the other on the ring. A 498T should read roughly 13-15k DC resistance. I think a 490R reads 7-8ish. If it's got a 498T, and the pickups were never swapped, it's probably paired with a 490R.

Mind you, a 496R/500T may read the same, as far as I know, they're the same pickups but with ceramic magnets, but I could be wrong.

57 Classics all run from 7 to 8, I think, but I don't use them, so I don't know.

I know...but I just can't help it. I just can't feature gold hardware unless it's on an jazzbox or an old semi, and even then I prefer nickel or chrome. It's not them...it's me!

Also going to put 500k pots in there and .015n/.022 PIO's.

It's a fun addiction...and nobody gets hurt.

Archived