Gibson Brands Forums

Eb-Oh or Eb-Zero

Conduitcore

So I just bought a 1969 Gibson Eb-0 Bass and am dieing to know how it is truly written and pronounced. Is it with the letter O or the number 0. I often hear people on youtube and in guitar center say Eb-O"oh" but in some movies I've heard Eb-0"zero". My brain forces me to assume its 0 "zero" since there is Eb-1 2 3 etc numebered models. Can I get an official confirmation on this?

Let me clarify.

The model designation is the number "zero", but it is pronounced "oh" like the letter. Although proper pronunciation of the numeral "0" is "zero", I have never heard the model verbally described as an "E-B-Zero".

Same as the 330(Three Three Oh)guitar, you don't say a "Three Hundred and Thirty" or a "Three Three Zero".

Here in the States, those models are usually referred to as "Three-Thirties" or "Three-Thirty Fives" and so on. most of the time when I hear of the EB-0 it's referred to as EB (oh). I'm guessing it's said different in various parts of the world.

• 5 months later...

It's just like phone numbers, years or addresses --- at least here in the states, people always direct you to "Fourteen-Oh-Five Anystreet," pronounce years as "Nineteen-Oh-Two" rather than "Nineteen-Zero-Two, and usually use "Oh" in place of "Zero" when reciting a telephone number.

The bass is an Ee-Bee-Oh.

As a foreigner I just concluded that "oh clue", "zero clue" and "no clue" would mean the same, but sadly I have - just that... :unsure:

We say "keine Ahnung" = "no clue" in formal German, and "null Ahnung" = "0 clue" in colloquial language. :)

• 5 months later...

Same as the 330(Three Three Oh)guitar, you don't say a "Three Hundred and Thirty" or a "Three Three Zero".

We don't say Three Three Oh either --- it's a Three Thirty, and its semi-hollow cousin is a Three-Thirty-Five

As evidence, I'lll cite Sherlock Holmes' renowned address, which is always pronounced "Two Twenty-One Bee" Baker Street.

• 1 month later...

Archived