Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special Humbucker Magnets Too Strong

melodicmetal

Just bought an SG Special and will return it. Magnets too strong causing warbling of the pitch on all strings, more noticable of course on thicker strings. Lowered them till they literally fell of the screw, problem persisted. My first Epiphone/Gibson product, very disappointed. Anyone else ran into this issue? Les Paul Special ii uses the same pickups (700T and 650R).

Just bought an SG Special and will return it. Magnets too strong causing warbling of the pitch on all strings, more noticable of course on thicker strings. Lowered them till they literally fell of the screw, problem persisted. My first Epiphone/Gibson product, very disappointed. Anyone else ran into this issue? Les Paul Special ii uses the same pickups (700T and 650R).

Sorry to hear of your problem, especially being your first Epiphone product. That's the first I've heard of warbling that lowering the pups failed to affect the issue. It's not the pups but what it actually is should be diagnosable at least. Even if you don't keep it, I'm sure we'd all like to know WHAT it was.

I'm a new first time Epi electric owner myself and apart from needing a proper setup, I've been quite pleased with my ES339. The Alnico Classic Pro pups sound good, and I've been gigging it, getting lots of positive comments on looks and tone. (Very old school vintage rock, R&B tones, it really digs in on overdrive as well.

Hope you can find a happy result either with the SG or another Epiphone guitar. I know they make many good models, mine compares favorably with many of the Fender and Gibson guitars I've played since the '60s. Good luck, melodicmetal.

Lowering the pickups did have an effect, it just wasn't enough of a change, and the tone was so weak at that point, it was unusable. And to the other guy, yes indeed I lowered the pickups till the fell off the screw. Raising the pickups tightens the screw and compressing the spring. Lowering them loosens the spring, and literally falls off.

I believe the pickups you have with that SG are pretty hot pickups. There are lots of options on epi guitars with standard pickups and many people tend to upgrade pickups as well. My advice to people in the market for new guitars is to try out a lot of different guitars with all sorts of specs so you can find one you like without the 'warbling' and such. I wonder if your guitar is just in need of a good set up.

I believe the pickups you have with that SG are pretty hot pickups. There are lots of options on epi guitars with standard pickups and many people tend to upgrade pickups as well. My advice to people in the market for new guitars is to try out a lot of different guitars with all sorts of specs so you can find one you like without the 'warbling' and such. I wonder if your guitar is just in need of a good set up.

I was thinking the same thing. I have two son's, both own LP Special II's, and the Spec II has the same pick-ups. Both sets work fine, and one guitar is an '07. I would bring it in for a set up and see if as suggested earlier, something else isn't going on. It might be something simple that can be easily fixed. As RobinTheHood said, lowering the pickups will tighten the screws until there is no more travel. Something is not right. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Archived