Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone use their SG for 'less aggressive' music?!

sbpark

I ask because it seems like there are a lot of rock, heavy/hard rock and metal guys who tend to favor SG's. I grew up with punk, hardcore and post-punk stuff back in the 90's, but also play a lot of country/alt-country and Americana type stuff. I usually play a Tele or an SG (SG Standard and SG Classic) through a Fender Princeton with some really light overdrive. Wondering if there's anyone else out there using an SG for similar type stuff and what type of sound/gear/OD you're using?

The SG is a great and 'versatile' guitar with an interesting history... [thumbup]

Light and fast handling compared to a Les Paul... [thumbup]

Usually H/B equipped but works well with P90's

Mine has coil tap H/B's and can produce a convincing S/C sound

Played through a Boss ME70 and almost any clean amp.... [biggrin]

Can handle many genres of music thus...

V

:-({|=

My SG has the 490/498 pick up combination, and it certainly has the bite for hard rock. However, it cleans up really well and gives a sweet chimey tone on a clean channel for easier/soft rock tunes even when played through my Marshall DSL. So, I can imagine it would do even better with some amps that would give a more mellow tone.

SG's are really awesome guitars. [thumbup]

I play blues, country, old-school rock and roll on a '61 Special RI. I am not a humbucker guy, I have traditional Fenders (Tele/Strat, no hot pickups) a LPJ (P90) and the Special. I use the Strat exclusively for slide, the LPJ is tuned down one step, the Tele and the SG are the regular fretted guitars. Tele is #1 but the SG sees a lot of use. Occasionally I'll leave the Tele home and do all the fretted stuff on the SG. I'll soon have weaker pickups for the SG (9k at the bridge is too hot, 7k is more my speed with 6.5 at the neck) which might make the Tele and the SG almost interchangeable.

All my amps are clones of '59 Fenders, Champ, Deluxe and Super. I built the Champ and Super myself.

I play blues, country, old-school rock and roll on a '61 Special RI. I am not a humbucker guy, I have traditional Fenders (Tele/Strat, no hot pickups) a LPJ (P90) and the Special. I use the Strat exclusively for slide, the LPJ is tuned down one step, the Tele and the SG are the regular fretted guitars. Tele is #1 but the SG sees a lot of use. Occasionally I'll leave the Tele home and do all the fretted stuff on the SG. I'll soon have weaker pickups for the SG (9k at the bridge is too hot, 7k is more my speed with 6.5 at the neck) which might make the Tele and the SG almost interchangeable.

All my amps are clones of '59 Fenders, Champ, Deluxe and Super. I built the Champ and Super myself.

Seems like we have similar taste. I primarily play a Tele, have an old 70's Champ, '72 Princeton Reverb and recently sold a '59BMRI (could never get it to sound 'right', or at least it always too took much work to get it to sound the way I wanted, and an AC15. Tele is #1, but like you mentioned, it's nice to replace it with the SG now and then!

• 2 weeks later...

That makes at least three of us who swap between Tele and SG. I play the same songs on both. I guess it's alternative rock, or punky folk. I might have just made that up. Anyway I got my SG after watching a bunch of Todd Rundgren and Frank Zappa videos. Definitely some experimental styles. I'm not much into heavy metal, speed metal, etc. and never thought I'd have a pointy guitar but this one feels right and again, I play the same songs I always have. It's fun playing some David Allen Coe tunes on an SG. Looks all wonky!

I play blues on my SG Standard with P90s. It can do funk, hard rock, indie and whatever you want to play. You might even try out some jazzy tones with your SG...it can handle it all. I love it!

Now that I think about it...I never even played metal at all.

I have a Marshall DSL 15C tube combo and I love the sounds that I can get with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVEI4ZwO3kM

Does ratty garage rock with loud cleans count here? I run my Bigsby equipped SG Classic or a SG Special w/ a Gibson 57+ through a Silvertone 1484. When I'm not pushing cleans i use an OD808, Small Sound/Big Sound ****overdrive, and a Fuzz Factory for leads and single note riffs.

• 2 weeks later...

I use my SG for a variety of styles, ranging from Blues, Rock, lately I've been stepping into the Surf Rock and Ambient guitar.

I tend to use the clean channel more on my Blackstar HT1-R, nice cleans to just on the cusp of breaking up. The Angus Young pup gives beautiful crisp tones, it's my go to pup for playing Surf Rock and perfect to for jamming along with The Shadows. I turn the reverb on the amp to zero and use a Digitech Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Reverb, this has a superb Spring setting and really gets me in the zone for tone. Also recently fitted a Bigsby B5 to achieve a sweet vibrato.

For the Ambient guitar, nice clean tone, Way Huge Aqua Puss anologue delay paired with Digitech Hardwire Supernatural Reverb, to achieve cascading bell like tones. Thinking of purchasing a volume pedal to do volume swells, this will be perfect when I use the Shimmer effect on the Supernatural.

I use the '57 Classic for warm soulful Blues (no muddy tones). With the Pup Selector in middle position the combnation of the Angus Young pup and '57 Classic pup for a solid foundation for rhythm playing, Tone/Volume adjusted for the sweet spot.

Also use my SG for playing Classical pieces, with a dash of Reverb.

Love my SG, it allows me to let my imagination run riot and it's so comfy can play for hours at a time :) [thumbup]

I don't own an SG, though I have long admired them.

I have tried my brother's Epiphone SG once or twice, and it plays like butter.

Really light and low action.

And it's blonde yellow with a maple neck and a white pick guard, so it's very unusual to me.

But I love it.

Another old friend and occasional bandmate owns a 1970's vintage Gibson SG, and he (like a few of you here apparently) uses it alternately with his new Telecaster and his very old Stratocaster.

Bill is a blues-man to the core, and although he will play lead on some of the pop-rock songs that my band is so fond of, he really tears it up on the blues.

All three of his main axes sound terrific on this blues lead excursions, and Bill manages to eek some great and unique tones out of each guitar.

Here is a link to his home website.

You will see stories and videos of him playing all three of those guitars.

http://bill-ledbetter.com/music/

• 10 months later...

I ask because it seems like there are a lot of rock, heavy/hard rock and metal guys who tend to favor SG's. I grew up with punk, hardcore and post-punk stuff back in the 90's, but also play a lot of country/alt-country and Americana type stuff. I usually play a Tele or an SG (SG Standard and SG Classic) through a Fender Princeton with some really light overdrive. Wondering if there's anyone else out there using an SG for similar type stuff and what type of sound/gear/OD you're using?

Definitely yes. Our Classic Rock duo is a versatile lead singer and me singing backups and playing the only guitar. Recently I replaced my early '70s SG Standard with a 2015 SG Standard Les Paul signature with split coil and '57 Humbuckers. To gig we use a Yamaha StagePas 600i and I go amp-less, plugging a Digitech RP500 providing effects and amp/cab modeling directly into the mixer/amp. We'll cover jazzy Carole King, soulful Bill Withers, 'Imagine' where I'll finger pick most of the song using a capo, Stones, Paul Simon, Cream/Clapton, Van Morrison, to 'Born To Be Wild' and 'Roadhouse Blues' while throwing in 'Creep' by Radiohead. We have done this every weekend for three years and it did not take me too long to whittle down the number of presets and programs to about half a dozen on the Digitech. I'm still working on learning the tonal relationship between the bridge and treble pickups however it's very fluid (a little change goes a long way) and the sound is very rich.

Myself, I also play country rock, blues, and heavy metal. OK, 1.5 out of 3 there are less aggressive.

I must have missed this topic due to being hospitalized for several extended periods then.

Like all of my guitars, I mainly use my SGs for clean tones. Like already mentioned before, I think they are versatile and may cover lots of musical styles. As with most instruments, the player's taste and desire are the only limits.

I have been a Les Paul player for 30 years but the 10 pounds is getting tough on my back after a while and the SG is a perfect alternative.

The 498T is great for my metal & hard rock fix, the 490R lowered a bit gives me a very warm tone for fusion and even jazz.

Played a gig, yesterday, with a bunch of friends that play (old) Country, Rock, and Blues.

The SG stayed with me, the whole time, save the songs that needed the Ric 12-string.

I'll say it, again, and again...it's not the guitar, but the mind, heart, and fingers, of

the player(s)!

Use whatever you want, that gets the job done, for you!

CB

I play mostly blues and rock. I use the SG for the harder edged stuff. It goes places that that neither my LP or Strat will go. It can do the cleaner stuff if I needed it to but since I do have options that's just my preferred route

• 2 weeks later...

I play blues, classic rock, country and pop-punk (Green Day) and my SG is purfect!

2014 SGM modded with Alnico 4 PAF style pickups (8.4k bridge and 7.8k neck) and Hipshot locking tuners. Bridges the gap between clean and growly aggressive overdrive. Not a metal bone in its body!

Better sustain than my Yamaha RGX820Z (superstrat), but less than my Ibanez Artist. Its a superbly versatile guitar and especially accessible due to 24 frets.

Best guitar I have, and a steal for what I paid!!

My SG-type guitars (1993 Epiphone G-400 and 2014 Gibson SG Standard) are perfectly setup for less aggressive styles. My 2016 Les Paul Standard actually has hotter pickups than either SG. My tone is bluesy crunch, and the SGs both nail it perfectly. Admittedly, I don't have original Gibson pickups in either, but they sound amazing with the Seymour Duncan pickups that I specifically chose after much trial and error. My 2014 Gibson SG can make tones that few players could distinguish from a PAF equipped Les Paul, thanks to the pickups and some very good custom wiring. I'd better shut up before the whole "tonewood" discussion erupts!

Archived