Gibson Brands Forums

Fake SG?

Alex95

Hey,

got an offer for a SG Angus Young Signature in Aged Cherry from 2013 for $850 USD. It seems oddly cheap to me.. Could you please take a look at the pictures and please tell me if you think it's a fake or not. He changed the knobs, the rest of the guitar should be original..

Greeting

post-71592-097053200 1432472787_thumb.jpg

post-71592-063817300 1432472844_thumb.jpg

post-71592-032601100 1432472964_thumb.jpg

Hey,

got an offer for a SG Angus Young Signature in Aged Cherry from 2013 for $850 USD. It seems oddly cheap to me.. Could you please take a look at the pictures and please tell me if you think it's a fake or not. He changed the knobs, the rest of the guitar should be original..

Greeting

Take the cover plate off the back and see if it says Gibson on the pots. And Gibson on the control board.

Ask for some more detailed pics highlighting the headstock, neck, and body.... front and back. From those pics it looks genuine to me, but, the top horn seems long.... again, need more detailed pics. Can you get the PUP's pulled and pics of the bottom and cavaties etc? $850 does seem like a really good deal for an Angus SG. In my neck of the woods ( Toronto) the asking price would be in the $1100 - $1400 range. Mind you, that's what I've seen them asking....

Got some new pictures.. Greeting

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You can always run the serial number to find out if it a Gibson http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

You cant really tell to much with the pictures you posted.You need better pictures. For that price Im think it may have been repaired.

If its a real Angus for $850 I would grab it. Note check for a headstock repair or if the neck was reset. All it takes is for it to fall over backwards.That may be why the asking price is low.

If it was a repair and its fixed well It should not be a problem. But I would try and get him down a the price if you could.

Here is some info

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Angus-Young-SG.aspx

But that guitar has speed knobs on it. Angus did not had speed knobs on his guitar.

Standards dont have them. If the guitar is real,I doubt the speed knobs are original.

The model with the lightning bolts that has the small pickguard(not the batwing)has witch hat knobs and a white poker chip.

If you dont know what a poker chip its the round plastic part thats around the pickup selector.

Autograph on the truss rod cover.

If its a real Angus for $850 I would grab it. Note check for a headstock repair or if the neck was reset. All it takes is for it to fall over backwards.That may be why the asking price is low.

If it was a repair and its fixed well It should not be a problem. But I would try and get him down a the price if you could.

Archived