Gibson Brands Forums

NGD '61 SG Special RI

12ay7

Hi folks. New member, but old man (60). Probably the last new guitar I'll ever have. Picked it up on Ebay for $600. Ron Ellis is making me some different P90s (these are kinda hot for me, I like weak pickups) and Ron is the very best.

Going back to my Who/Pete Townshend roots. Plays like a dream and once I got strings broken in, it stays in tune fairly well. Not as well as a Tele but not bad. Gigging it Thursday night. Glad to meet y'all.

sgspecial_zps6igvb1po.jpg

'61 SG Special RI.

Hello!

There is a '67 Special Reissue, and a '61 Standard Reissue.

The guitar on the picture is a Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute with it's TRC and pickguard replaced.

A beauty, anyways! [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

OK. Nice SG, she needs a Nashville to ABR bridge conversion, an amber switch tip, knob pointers and a blank Gibson TRC to be perfect IMHO [wink]

I forgot : a Brown Gibson/TKL with pink interior case [thumbup]

What is the point of the conversion? Are the Nashville bridges really shitty?

Hello!

Yes, that it is. No fretboard binding, silk-screened Gibson logo, and satin finish. These details all lead to this conclusion: it's a SG Special 60s Tribute model. Someone replaced the pickguard with a multi-ply piece, and put on a unique truss rod cover. Also, the machine heads got replaced.

Any of the Reissues will have gloss or V.O.S. finish, fretboard binding, and - of course - ABR-1 bridge.

Nashville units are OK, they provide more room for intonation setting than the ABR-1. Some prefer the latter, due to better coupling of the bridge with the body, since the post screws go directly into it. Nashville's thumwheels are screwed into a bushing, which is pressed into the body.

Cheers... Bence

What is the point of the conversion? Are the Nashville bridges really shitty?

All a matter of taste but the conversions are nice. The Nashville is a newer design that started around 1975 so if you have a 60's reissue, it's more fitting.

Nothing says nasty like an SG with Gibby P90s.. I have a classic,, it just screams!!!!

But, to each his own,, hope your mod goes well with the other pickups.

Oh, these ARE P90s. Just not as hot. More like '50s P90s. Alnico 3.

Hello!

Yes, that it is. No fretboard binding, silk-screened Gibson logo, and satin finish. These details all lead to this conclusion: it's a SG Special 60s Tribute model. Someone replaced the pickguard with a multi-ply piece, and put on a unique truss rod cover. Also, the machine heads got replaced.

Any of the Reissues will have gloss or V.O.S. finish, fretboard binding, and - of course - ABR-1 bridge.

Nashville units are OK, they provide more room for intonation setting than the ABR-1. Some prefer the latter, due to better coupling of the bridge with the body, since the post screws go directly into it. Nashville's thumwheels are screwed into a bushing, which is pressed into the body.

Cheers... Bence

I like the guitar. Nice piece. Love the sound. But I love A3 magnets more, and weaker windings. My other guitar for fretted stuff is a Tele, and so weaker pups in the SG mean no tweaking of amp controls on a gig, just switch for a sound and go.

I replaced the pegs, myself,. DOn't like Gibson Klusons. Fenders, I like Klusons. Gibs, I like Grovers.

Hello!

If You prefer vintage sounding P-90s, this one would be a nice replacement for the stock units: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/p-90-guitar-pickups/sp901_vintage_s/

These people in UK, will make You a custom P90 with any magnet You desire: http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/classic-53-p90-pickup.html

The guitar is indeed a beauty. When they came out, I had one on pre-order. Unfortunately, - only when I got it in my hands to play it -,I realised it did not fit my tonal needs. Bought a Tele instead.

Good luck with the modding!

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

If You prefer vintage sounding P-90s, this one would be a nice replacement for the stock units: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/p-90-guitar-pickups/sp901_vintage_s/

These people in UK, will make You a custom P90 with any magnet You desire: http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/classic-53-p90-pickup.html

The guitar is indeed a beauty. When they came out, I had one on pre-order. Unfortunately, - only when I got it in my hands to play it -,I realised it did not fit my tonal needs. Bought a Tele instead.

Good luck with the modding!

Cheers... Bence

Hi Bence. Ron Ellis makes the best pickups in the world (to my ears and a lot of others you've heard of, such as Gilmour, Springsteen, Keef, Fogerty, Joe Walsh, Paisley and many others). OB Full Disclosure: I am an endorser who gets deep discounts. Ron's pickups are VERY expensive, but I believe they are worth it. I have them in all my other electric guitars, a Tele, a Strat and a DCLPJ.

Ron's pickups will enable me to get a more vintage sound, but I can use a clean boost to hit the front end a little harder. But I like having the choice.

• 1 month later...

Ron Ellis P90s here...WHAT A DIFFERENCE! A3 magnets on the bridge, A2 on the neck pickup. 8.3k bridge, 6.5k. 130uf/150K treble bleed. Freakin' awesome!

They're worth it. Not cheap. Just the best.

both bridge designs can have some issues:

Abr-1's posts tend to bend faster over time than the thicker Nashville posts if you have the tailpiece/string angle steep. Both can and do bend but Abr-1's are seen in the shop more often. On occasion the threads in the wood strip too as the abr-1 posts are directly threaded into the wood body.

With the nashville, the post bushings/inserts occasionally can tip since they are fairly shallow. If Gibson would increase the bushing/insert depth that could be eliminated. This doesn't happen often, but it shows up.

Archived