Gibson Brands Forums

Questions regarding selling a guitar

fumblefingers

I've had my Gibson J45 Custom for almost 6 months now, and while I love it I am thinking it is "too good" of a guitar for me. I am just a hack player, not a musician like a lot of people here. It does bring a lot of smiles and happiness, but I am so concerned with it getting a scratch, perfect humidity, etc. that I almost feel more comfortable playing a beater and having less worry. This guitar was more than I initially intended upon spending, but I decided to throw in the extra cash and get something I really loved.

My insurance will only cover $1,000 for a guitar theft or loss through fire, etc., and that kind of bums me out, too. I asked them if I could increase it and the answer was no. Having been a victim of a terrible burglary years back, it does cross my mind at times.

So, if I indeed sell this guitar, which I am leaning towards, what do you all suggest? I live in a very rural place, so I don't have somewhere to "show it" per se. Also, I am building a house and staying in my 5th wheel right now so I don't really want people to come here because a construction zone isn't ideal. I am just wondering the best avenue. Also, what kind of a loss do you think I will take? If it was something extreme, it wouldn't make any sense to sell.

Thanks for any ideas.

Don't sell it! I have a J-15 and a Martin HD 28, I have no business owning either one... I've only been playing about a year and I'm horrible, but they aren't for sale... I love playin' them.

I would not sell it either unless you are in a financial bind. Don't worry about being "good" enough. It gives you joy. As far as insurance goes you can get separate musical instrument insurance. I pay $150 annually for up to $25,000 worth of coverage for my six guitars. I use Anderson (https://www.anderson-group.com/) but there are other choices out there. Play on!

Dont do it!

Wrong forum [mellow]

You could lose 40 - 50%......

BluesKing777.

Am I not supposed to post something like this? If so, my bad. I was just wondering everyone's thoughts on this, and perhaps what somebody should even price a gently used Gibson at. It's got no scratches. I see Guitar Center asking $2250 used for an older model than mine.

I would not sell it either unless you are in a financial bind. Don't worry about being "good" enough. It gives you joy. As far as insurance goes you can get separate musical instrument insurance. I pay $150 annually for up to $25,000 worth of coverage for my my six guitars. I use Anderson (https://www.anderson-group.com/) but there are other choices out there. Play on!

Thanks. I don't need the money for this guitar, it's just really nice and I worry even taking the thing out of the case. Seems almost like something for a professional. I don't know. The other day my dog got playful and threw her huge paw up while I was playing and thought she was going to swipe it. I'm really nervous about the guitar, to be honest. Just don't even like having it out of the case for any length of time.

A lot of us here are total hacks and own guitars that are far above our stations. But they put smiles on our faces, bring us happiness, and often keep us going.

And, yeah, sometimes bad things happen to good guitars and sometimes they don't. If you're worried about insurance google "musical instrument insurance" and you'll find places that will insure your git for whatever you want and it's not that expensive.

If your reason for purchasing your Custom was to be a collector, then you shouldn't touch it because you might get a ding in it and you should store it in a humidified bank vault. But it probably won't make much of a return on your investments for several decades. So why not play it and have fun now? And as to selling, you'll lose a bunch of money and probably that smile on your face.

Relax. Have fun. An awesome guitar will improve your playing if you just listen to it.

FMA

Am I not supposed to post something like this? If so, my bad. I was just wondering everyone's thoughts on this, and perhaps what somebody should even price a gently used Gibson at. It's got no scratches. I see Guitar Center asking $2250 used for an older model than mine.

Sorry, FF!

I was kidding - you can post any old thing you like, but the joke here is that everyone goes ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, buy, buy, buy!!!! But I don't remember - sell!

But if you aren't desperate on your knees in trouble, don't sell it - the nice guitars are just too hard to come by in this life sometimes! And it is said that a nice guitar with a good setup will help your playing along....

And yeah - relax and drive it like you stole it!

BluesKing777.

No problem asking questions like this.

I agree with the others that if you think you're not worthy put that out of your mind.

Your guitar price range is only 300-500 difference if it's mint or well played so I wouldn't worry about nicking it and enjoy it. It's not a collectors guitar.

Based on personal experience, you may get about $1600-$1800 trade in value depending on what's custom about it. If it's not too special of a custom you may get less.

Try the freebie venues like this forum's Trading Post or UMGF. There's plenty others. You may get a couple hundred more.

Try Craigs list and meet them somewhere. Never ship anywhere with CL. Never have them come to your house.

Good Luck!

Dave

Thanks for all the replies. No, I didn't buy this thing as a museum piece/collector, I bought it to play, and play it I do. I guess since I haven't yet put that first scratch in it I'm still dreading it. :) I have that weird syndrome where I am super protective over my nice stuff. It takes me a LOOOOOONG time to get used to dings and scratches on a new vehicle. I'm almost better off buying used things that already have dings. It's a hard life for people like me. :) Kind of wish I wasn't so protective and careful over things.

I'm in the on't sell it camp. Scratches, dings wear and tear is part of a guitars character. I'm a hack too - a happy hack. My playing skills are probably somewhere in the laminate category, just slightly above Estaban. My J-45 TV is quickly becoming my play anywhere guitar - as long as its above 50 degrees outside, that's usually where I will be - out on one of the decks playing, learning and writing. Just know thus - if you do sell, and find in a few years you want to replace, you will be money behind. Take it from me. I am a pro loser in the sales end. [biggrin]

I think sometimes, too, I become disappointed in my playing abilities, like I'm not improving. I make a lot of the same mistakes, and I feel like my fingers won't do what my mind and ears want them to. I think that honestly is behind part of this, too. The reason I chose my screen name is because I honestly think my finger dexterity is very poor. I am not naturally gifted in that department.

I think sometimes, too, I become disappointed in my playing abilities, like I'm not improving. I make a lot of the same mistakes, and I feel like my fingers won't do what my mind and ears want them to. I think that honestly is behind part of this, too. The reason I chose my screen name is because I honestly think my finger dexterity is very poor. I am not naturally gifted in that department.

I understand what you're saying, but selling this fine guitar won't make you any better. In fact playing a fine guitar will help. [biggrin]

Have a read through this, then buy the first recommended DVD and you are away!:

http://www.guitarvideos.com/the-learning-process

BluesKing777.

As usual, great responses/advice all!! Playing a 'real' guitar improves your playing. It might sneak up on you but you'll recognize it when your skill level spikes.

Repetition is the mother of retention.

I love music. I love guitars. I love looking at guitars. To me guitars are pieces of fine art that you can play. Some buy paintings; I buy guitars. I have ten guitars, among them some of the best to be found of their type.

I can hardly play. I admit, I can hardly play. I have played for fifteen years, and I still play about as well as I did ten years ago. I don´t care. I am not wealthy by any means, but guitars give me pleasure. The rest is about priorities, and we do have food on the table.

I plan on passing my guitars on to my two sons one day. That way they can also enjoy fine pieces of art, which they hopefully can play too. It will also help them remember how much their father loved music.

So, in the end, it is not about what you "deserve". It is all about what priorities you make, and what is important to you.

Don´t sell!

Lars

Well said Lars

Folk will spend the price of a guitar on golf every year no problem.

They seem expensive but break it down to a few pound a day and compare it with other things in your life. Not a big expense at all.

Unless you're bluesking ....

Then it's a very expensive hobby . but he's got carried away with himself :)

Well said Lars

Folk will spend the price of a guitar on golf every year no problem.

They seem expensive but break it down to a few pound a day and compare it with other things in your life. Not a big expense at all.

Unless you're bluesking ....

Then it's a very expensive hobby . but he's got carried away with himself :)

Ha Ha!

I put it down to having no life much!

BluesKing777.

FmblFngrs, I have, in the past, suffered from a form of "Success Guilt" or whatever shrinks call it when a person thinks they don't deserve something good in their life. Most of us here don't 'deserve' the really great guitars we own. We are lucky. That's all it comes down to. For every person that owns a Gibson Acoustic, there are 10 who wish they did. But, many of those who own one write here as first time owners - that a Gibson was a lifelong dream they finally achieved. Would you throw out a winning lottery ticket because you didn't deserve the $1M prize, or would you cash it in? Cash in on your guitar - play it. Let your dog scratch it. 10 years from now, when you no longer have your dog - you'll have that scratch and a treasured memory.

At the end of the day, your guitar is valuable only to you, only if you play it. You will get better. But it takes time. And some type of lessons/dvd will greatly speed the process. Otherwise, if you teach yourself and only play a couple of days a week for 20 minutes - your progress will be so slow, as will your improved finger dexterity - and you will become frustrated. A Gibson you love will motivate you to play much more often. If you sell it - the Takemine you settle for will be a reminder of 'the one that got away". And, the $1,000 cash you had left from the deal will go to pay some utility bills that would have gotten paid somehow anyway.

Bottom line - buyer's remorse is short lived when you buy a Gibson Acoustic - but sellers remorse is forever! G'Luck !

I have a feeling no one is really answering your question. I've been trying to figure out how I should answer it and probably like most I keep injecting my own slant towards never parting with a good guitar. But, if I unattach myself from the matter, the fact is if you aren't happy with the instrument you should indeed part with it/sell it so someone who will be happy with it will have it and play it. The common ways to sell it would be e-bay or Craig's List, although I have no experience at all with Craig's List. First keep a watch of both to see what similar mint/barely used J-45's are selling for/asking for. You will end up taking a loss since you only bought the guitar 6 months ago. A used buyer is always looking to pay less than for new...plus,the used guitar won't have its warrantee transferred. Check out Musicians Friend or Sweetwater on line to see what new ones are now selling for and then in combo with eBay and Craig's Lust price, price it accordingly based on its condition and how fast you want to sell it.

Now for some personal reflection. Most major insurance companies will only cover an instrument under the bSic homeowners or renters policy for a set limit, but are willing to add a special rider at a cost to separately insur the instrument for more. I've done that with my instruments. As someone else may have mentioned there are also insurance companies that specialize in insuring instruments. I have found they can be costlier than a special rider to your regular policy, but they provide the coverage you are seeking if your insurance company won't give a special rider. Check the Internet for musical instrument insurers.

I generally tell beginner players to buy the most expensive guitar they can because it will help force or discipline them to practice on it because of the ton on money they spent on it. That obviously is not the case with you. It may be you also are involved in the other project you've mentioned. Will you have time to play it when the project is completed seems like a reasonable question along these lines.

Another option, if you feel intimidated by the expensive guitar right now, is to buy a $199 Epiphone AJ220 or something similarly as good and play the heck out it, practice, etc. and set the J-45 aside for a year or so until you feel progress practicing on the Epi. There is no timetable for learning guitar and it should be a life long endeavor. If you stick with it as a life long endeavor at some point you will reach a higher plateau of playing and feel ready to explore what sounds are inside the J45. If you choose to do this, loosen the strings so there is no tension on the Gibson's neck and keep it humidified so a year or more down the road when you feel like musically exploring it, it will be in good shape. It's price over time won't likely go down with it being a finely kept mint instrument of a high caliber. New prices keep going up so a used mint one will, too should you decide to sell it later.

But, if you really feel it has no place in your life now or in the future, sell it at a loss to someone who will...is my recommendation.

Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you on your life journey.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I would like to again thank everyone for the kind and thoughtful responses. After sleeping on things, I truly believe a lot of the motivation is the disappointment in my own playing skills, and also the fear of scratching/hurting the guitar. It is an absolutely beautiful piece of craftsmanship. Every time I open the case, just the smell of it overcomes me. I think I'm stuck in a rut in terms of my playing. I need to go a totally different route. I'm bored of the songs, etc. There are some I've been working on, and I seem to make the same mistakes over, and over, and over, and my fingers feel stiff, slow, and uncoordinated at times.

Jazzman, thank you so much for taking the time to type that whole reply. It was well thought out, and I appreciate it. I will not be selling the guitar at this time. I think I need to get past this period and see if I can kind of break through and reinvigorate myself. Admittedly, I haven't made practicing the top priority lately with everything going on. In fact, there have been times where it's sat in its case for nearly a week. While I don't post here a lot, I love this forum and I love to read. All of you guys are great resources and can play the heck out of the guitar. I would love to one day be merely "serviceable".

FmblFngrs, Glad you are reconsidering selling your brand new J45C. Sometimes you get a new, more better, guitar and think your playing will take off. If your approach stays the same as it has since you started playing - which sounds like to self-teach yourself by playing for 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a week - you will keep getting the same results. Keep the Gibson in it's case and play it on special occasions, and get a $200 epiphone as ZmbyWf suggested. You don't need a case for it - leave it leaned up against the couch where you can see it and pick it up for 30 minutes at least once a day every day. Don't try to just keep playing the same songs - play some scales to get your fingers moving. Find a couple of melodies of simple songs and play those for accuracy and speed. Half your 'problem' is not with the J45 - it's with your skill level. Selling it and buying a mid-priced guitar will do Nothing to change your skill level. Everyone here was at the same skill level you are when they were beginning. But, none of us will want written on our tombstones "I wish I'd spent less time learning how to play the guitar." Except for the real 'professional' musicians here - most of the rest of us had dry spells. Raising a family, tough new job, moving to a new city, deployment, etc. where we couldn't spend as much time 9or any time) playing and learning. If you are at a place like that now - don't worry, be happy. You have a J45C waiting quietly in your closet. Like your dog, there may be spells when it is your best friend. G'Luck.

Archived