Gibson Brands Forums

J-15 Pickguard New Information

Rsdavidson

I removed the original pickguard from a J-15 and replaced it with a Black celluloid teardrop that I had saved from a Gibson J-40 (1973)

A few observations:

The original pickguard is very nice!

I removed it by warming carefully with a hair drier while not allowing it to get too warm.

I carefully pealed it off starting at the sharp point.

Once removed, it and the guitar can have the adhesive residue cleaned off using Naptha (which I think you in the USA call it. In the UK, I used a good quality white spirit which is the same thing I believe).

The pickguard can be cleaned up like new and could be re-applied using the 3M adhesive sheet that can be bought at Stewmac and other places.

The guitar was quite new so had negligible light discolouration on the top.(Tan lines)

The 1973 pick guard was somewhat warped.

I "ironed it" between two layers of paper and cloth and got it flat.

I used an orbital power sander to take out the surface irregularities and make it even thinner.

That is, a rectangular flat surface of about 7" x 4" orbital sander and used worn 80 grit.

I recut the inner radius to suit.

I gave it about 6 or 7 coats of Nitro Cellulose and rubbed it down using micro fibre sheets and liquid polish.

(You don't have to go too crazy here).

Once ready, I put it on the guitar using the 3m adhesive sheet.

I was pleased with the outcome.

Special note...

My New Black pickguard isn't J-45 shape but rather Heritage tear drop shape and I don't mind this.

Sonic observations:

To tell the truth I couldn't point to any obvious tonal difference. Between original pguard, no pguard and new Celluloid pguard.

That doesn't mean it's not there but the process is not really that scientific and objective. I had no way to measure it.

However, I will say that sound wise the guitar does now sound really good.

Here are a few measurements:

the original flexible thick pickguard was 2.4 mm thick and weighed 25.3 grms

the black celluloid pickguard was 0.71 mm thick and weighed 9.7 grms.

(It would have been thicker but I had eroded it somewhat).

Now obviously I am very happy with that measurable outcome.

My pickguard is now very light and thin which has got to be good for the guitar top.

....and I like the Black, Tear Drop "look".

I would post a couple of pictures but don't know how.

To tell the truth I couldn't point to any obvious tonal difference. Between original pguard, no pguard and new Celluloid pguard.

That doesn't mean it's not there but the process is not really that scientific and objective. I had no way to measure it.

However, I will say that sound wise the guitar does now sound really good.

I'm having difficulty with this part of your post.

No noticeable difference but guitar now sounds really good?

Congratulations on a job well done though.

I didn't know white spirit and naphtha were the same thing... I thought it was lighter fluid, which I used to replace my pickguard. Same process as you but I was scared to bring the hair dryer near it and I used dental flood soaked in lighter fluid and sawed back and fourth under the guard.

Thanks for that.

Yes, sorry for being ambiguous.

I think the original guitar was fine. It looks and sounds great.

For a variety of reasons, i wanted to do this and at least half of it is personal to me.

1/ I fix guitars and was curious about this new flexible, gel like material. I now know about it's removal and know it can be re used.

2/ i'm not keen on the "look" of it. It's too fat and shiny. It doesn't have the vibe.

3/ it looked too thick and intuitively, i feared it was suppressing resonnance.

4/ i'm always up for experimentation and realise risk is attached but it is a very important way to learn.

5/ a bit of personalisation. I have also ordered a set of Grover Sta-Tit 97 18 tuners too.

The guitar does sound really good now (but it sounded good before). Psychologically, I feel much better with it having a thin, light weight pickguard and like the look.

ALSO....I didn't want to make a big statement that would annoy and upset happy users of the guitar in its original configuration.

I really wasn't struck by any significant tonal difference ...but....I believe it is better.

I know this sounds contradictory but....while working through the stages, I didn't hear big changes eg "it was lke a blanket being lifted off" etc

However, I believe the guitar is better because it supports how a guitar "works".

Back in the '70's, EKO acoustics were popular when starting...made oy plywood and had a massive thick plastic pickguard. (Their 12 strings weren't bad) . Here in Northern Ireland where I live, we build Lowdens and Avalons (and others) and thin light Mylar pickguards are normally used.

I'd have put a Mylar pguard on the J-15 but I think it just loses the "look". The Gibson just looks great with a traditional pickguard.

Thanks for the dental floss idea...that sounds good.

A way to remove the item while not bending it unduly and that stuff doesn't break and is thin.

It's bending many plastics that deforms and renders them useless. I was able to flatten to old celluloid using steam and heat.

the original flexible thick pickguard was 2.4 mm thick and weighed 25.3 grms

the black celluloid pickguard was 0.71 mm thick and weighed 9.7 grms.

Wow, that's quite a lot of difference!

In your picture of the two pickguards the original doesn't look like something I'd want to stick on my guitar (based on how thick it looks).

Amazing that there doesn't appear to be an appreciable sonic difference.

Thanks for posting this.

FMA

I hope you understand what I tried to explain.

we look to information posted in forums, reviews and the like to help us make decisions.

A great deal of it must be taken "with a pinch of salt".

A definately believe it's sonically better but at the same time...due to the time differences between each playing test maybe, or not being able to flip back and forward, I wasn't struck by some dramatic.."WoW" moment. I believe it's better but the guitar was good to start with. I thought the original looked really good but not in a cool "player" way. The new pickguard is...new. Mine is more linked with the past I think. I just like it better but I absolutely understand folks preferring the original "look".

So...just trying not to hype it up.

Just to be clear...the Black one that I fitted was salvaged from a 1973 Gibson J-40 regular dreadnought.

I call it a teardrop (or Heritage) shape. I apologise if I'm wrong.

you said..."but I do like the look of the Gibson teardrop on a drop shoulder - it just suits it better"

The one that I removed was the current J-45 shape.

Archived