Gibson Brands Forums

Leaving labels on guitars

Guitarists are usually very proud of their guitars and are pleased to show them to others in forums such as this - but, why do some people leave all the labels on their guitars. "Made in ???????" and "inspected by ?????" etc. Even stickers on scratch-plates stating what the guitar is made of or that it has a "limited lifetime guarantee" (what does that mean anyway?) and stickers on pickups. The only label should be the sound-hole one or any that has a model number on back of headstock (these are under finish anyway). Any views on this?

I suspect that some people do this with a view to resale. I don't mean that they intend to fake "brand new" status but leaving the labels on (as long as the guitar isn't marked) allows credence to such words as "pristine" etc. At least that's my theory.

Just checked the bass a friend loaned me cos I have been asked to fill in on bass for a gig and figured I should learn how to play a bit - yep, stickers for 'made in Indonesia' and 'checked by...' and a serial number. The pratice amp he loaned me still has the tag hanging off it. now these cost him the grand total of $50 on ebay second hand, so thats at least 2 owners on a el cheapo rig - so I'm voting for 'just couldn't be bothered' as my theory.

My guitars all predate such stickers but I did notice that one I bought 25 years ago has 2 stickers on the back for Dean Markley and D'addario strings which i'd forgotten were even there. The latter is only just recognisable its so worn away. Now, i didn't put them there so they've been on at least a quarter century now and aren't even from the guitar maker... so [blush] that's another vote for 'just couldn't be bothered'.

Then again, that might just be the Aussie attitude to such things I suppose [biggrin]

Cool thread! Way to go Mick.

My '01 G-400 still has its 'Made in Korea' sticker and the '100% Inspected & Set-Up In the USA by 6 E' sticker on the back of the headstock. The serial is painted on. I did not leave them because of resale value or for a future sale of the guitar because I never had nor do I ever think I will sell it. I did not leave them because of keeping the guitar original as I have replaced the tuners and the input jack. I did not leave them because I was lazy as I have spent many hours cleaning and maintaining the guitar. I think I left them because it was on the back of the guitar and not seen by anyone so why not just keep it there.

IMG_0957_zpsab55c85a.jpg

On some of my git's I just leave them on till I decided if I keep or sell. Esp, plastic film on pick guard, and ALWAYS save all labels with the case candy too.

I may downsize and they are investments that I happen to play (except for my Gibson Dove that I'll keep if it's the last Guitar even).

Just me, I like to keep them well played & LIKE BRAND NEW both.

Aster

Heck ..... I try to add as many stickers to my guitars as I can,

To have any guitar be stickerless is just not manly, and will curve your spine, bend your mind, and keep us from winning the next war!

Stickers are people too, and they should have the inalienable rights of any citizen!!

Some of my best friends are stickers!!

Stickers saved my parents from a home fire, by dragging them out after they had succumbed to the smoke!

I 'especially' like pot stickers.

Give me stickers or give me death!!

Haters gonna hate ....... msp_flapper.gif

On mine, mostly because the first thing I do when I get a guitar is take a picture for insurance purposes. Then I take the stickers off and play it. After that, it just comes down to the fact that I'm too lazy to take a new picture (without stickers) before I post it here.

Heck ..... I try to add as many stickers to my guitars as I can,

To have any guitar be stickerless is just not manly, and will curve your spine, bend your mind, and keep us from winning the next war!

Stickers are people too, and they should have the inalienable rights of any citizen!!

Some of my best friends are stickers!!

Stickers saved my parents from a home fire, by dragging them out after they had succumbed to the smoke!

I 'especially' like pot stickers.

Give me stickers or give me death!!

Haters gonna hate ....... msp_flapper.gif

I thoroughly enjoyed this :P

Some people might not remove them so they don't get that sticky residue when the sticker doesn't peal right off, which looks worse than the sticker itself.

Some people might not remove them so they don't get that sticky residue when the sticker doesn't peal right off, which looks worse than the sticker itself.

Yep sounds like me.

TBH I've not even noticed the stickers. Ive just checked now...

no stickers anywhere except for the Hagstrom which has a CE sticker and a quality check sticker on reverse of headstock.

The CE is something to do with European Community std. (bought in Germany)

The inspector signed his name in blue pen. It reads 'Joe'.

I dont mind the stickers. They are out of the way and dont bother me.

-evans

1432812170[/url]' post='1661868']

Just a quick caution, DON'T look at my new post in the "Who here owns a Fender (BAD GUYS)" thread.

MUCH STICKER SHOCK SEEN THERE!!!!! [biggrin]

Aster

Too late! Already checked it out, lol msp_flapper.gifStickers don't bother me so I just leave them on. No one sees them.eusa_doh.gif

Archived