Gibson Brands Forums

Piezo or No Piezo?

Aster1

Hi Ya'll,

On my newer Hummingbird, and with loss of frett'n strength with my neck disc issue, I decided to lower my action from 6/64" Low E 12 fret. I also NEVER plug in any of my acoustic/electrics and have always wondered if they sound better/worse w/o the pickup under the bone saddle. Instead of cutting down my saddle I just decided to gently remove the sting gauge pickup and attempt to kill 2 birds w/ one stone. Got just what I wanted for height 5/64" removed and now it plays wonderful (for me and with my neck issue). Already have .11's on it as I just can't Barr .12 "no-more."

Low & behold, I do believe that the Bird sounds better to me w/o the pup spacer keeping direct contact from the bridge cutout. Nothing night & day, but just a bit livelier, maybe brighter, and also, maybe woodier? Hard to describe, at least for me, but I likes it better & I didn't have to Putz with the bridge any either.

Anyone else ever tried this, stupid question as prolly everyone has, I just haven't read anything about it here that I recall anyway. Maybe it's just me, but at least I know it didn't sound worse to me. [biggrin]

When I re-string I will try the Dove, & the J-45 Custom as well. It will be interesting if they sound better, same, or worse. I really can't imagine worse, unless you are wanting to plug them in to amp up! [rolleyes] May remove the large plug in & replace with the end pin kit from Stew-Mac and see it that now cures my strap issue as well.

Aster

When I re-string I will try the Dove, & the J-45 Custom as well. It will be interesting if they sound better, same, or worse. I really can't imagine worse, unless you are wanting to plug them in to amp up! [rolleyes] May remove the large plug in & replace with the end pin kit from Stew-Mac and see it that now cures my strap issue as well.

Important stuff - do you have a possibility to make an before/after recording ?

Love them on a seafoam green National Glenwood 99. Can live without the things ever going near one of my acoustics.

Hey, you guys should boycott Piezo. They were part of the bunch that snapped up Gibson in 1983 and wanted to throw the company on the trash pile of guitar history.

ZW, I use to work with a "George Piezo" years ago. I wonder if he had anything to do with that. [rolleyes]

EM,

I don't have any recording devices (as I wouldn't want any record of how crappy my playing has gone to these last several years). [rolleyes] All the expensive audio gear we have/use and not a piece of it is for the recording side. Only playback to perfection.

Again, It would seem logical that the braided wire w/sensor (about 1/64" thick (there about's) would de-couple the vibrations from the saddle to the bridge somewhat. I'm sure that's why it works so well there for a PUP, but I would have to presume that some of "the buck would stop there" with the piezo wire. I've always cut a new saddle after I shimmed it to get the height I wanted. Thin, hard oak tag paper may transfer sound vibrations better than braided wire jacket & what ever the innards are for that pup wire. I always wanted the saddle hard set into the bridge wood however.

Aster

I've installed 100s and, although I agree in theory that they should alter the acoustic tone of the guitar, it's too subtle a difference for my ears.

I don't use piezos since years.

The under saddle piezo makes the acoustic sound worse.

The plugged in piezo cound is "flapping" and "electric".

When I plug in my acoustic guitars I use K&K Triniti Mini System.

Even if it didn't greatly improve the sound, it sure makes the action just right for me now!! [biggrin]

Still think it sounds brighter a touch as I didn't think the HBird was that bright sounding a guitar. Long ways from the Dove or the J45 Custom bright, but a touch brighter.

Aster

Archived