Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Vintage SG

tycobb73

I'm a homer and wanted a guitar made in kzoo as I live an hour away so I found this.

https://reverb.com/item/682156-1973-gibson-sg-deluxe-w-t-tops

It is by Detroit so he's only shipping it 3 hours. I figured I could get it cheaper with less shipping and as a bonus the pots date to the year I was born. Did as much research as I could do in a few hours and with a little back and forth we settled on a price, although I forgot about the $54 in tax. Still think I did alright though. I saw 2 beat to hell ones go for 750 and 850 on ebay recently. Reverb showed me what the last few deals went down for and mine was cheaper. Plus there were others from the 70s with broken necks that owners wanted more for. But I'd like to hear from you guys. How'd I do? It seems everything is original except the tuners. If anyone knows where I can get those let me know. Also seems t tops have a cult following. Don't know why but I guess I'll find out.

Now I may trade my 2012 SG for a reverend, heritage, or RD bass.

How'd I do value wise?

Just make sure you like the super thin "pancake" style neck on those 70's SG's. I had a '77 and as much as I loved the sound of it, the neck was way too thin around the 1st to 7th frets. Crampy hand after a few min of play. Sold it for $1500 canadian and it was in mint shape except for some buckle rash on the back, and stock with chainsaw case.

Archived