Gibson Brands Forums

Old Question, New Replies?

ratty

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new here and I'm almost certain that this or a similar question has been asked before, but can anyone explain to me the exact difference between an Epiphone Alnico Classic Pro and a Probucker pickup? And, if possible, match them up to their Gibson equivalents.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new here and I'm almost certain that this or a similar question has been asked before, but can anyone explain to me the exact difference between an Epiphone Alnico Classic Pro and a Probucker pickup? And, if possible, match them up to their Gibson equivalents.

Many thanks in advance.

The Probuckers are made with alnico II, the Alnico Classic Pros are made with alnico V and are a little hotter output. I have the Classic Pros in my ES339 and they sound great, and I've owned a '64 Gibson ES335, a '72 Gibson ES330 and a '71 Gibson SG! I'm not going to swap out the Classic Pros, it's simply unnecessary as they have excellent tone.

Both are based off of late '50s Gibson "PAF" pups in, for instance, the Les Pauls of that period. Check them out here:

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/2014/The-Sound-of-Innovation.aspx

The Probuckers are made with alnico II, the Alnico Classic Pros are made with alnico V and are a little hotter output. I have the Classic Pros in my ES339 and they sound great, and I've owned a '64 Gibson ES335, a '72 Gibson ES330 and a '71 Gibson SG! I'm not going to swap out the Classic Pros, it's simply unnecessary as they have excellent tone.

Both are based off of late '50s Gibson "PAF" pups in, for instance, the Les Pauls of that period. Check them out here:

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/2014/The-Sound-of-Innovation.aspx

Thanks Steve112, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Epiphone seem to weave a web of confusion about their stuff sometimes.

You've had some nice Gibbos in the past! It's encouraging to know that you wouldn't change your Epi pickups for something more Gibson-like.

Again, many thanks.

Archived