Gibson Brands Forums

VOS Rust

VMaxer50

I recently bought an R9 which I'm delighted with. I have one concern: the rust on the VOS metal parts. My worry is will the rusted screws, bridge, bridge studs etc continue corrode? Rust never sleeps as they say. I know that with some antiquing processes they apply a chemical that arrests the process.

I couldn't get gloss which would have been my preference. I have thought about trying to clean the separate part but the rust is on the threads of the screws (its not just where you can see it) and so would have to replace the stop bar studs etc which I don't want to do - its a new guitar!

Is the rust real or fake

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank

Yes the rust is real and the rust will continue. If you're that concerned about it, I would buy a replacement NOS ABR bridge and tailpiece. Simply put the new parts on and have a tech do a fresh set up. Bag the stock parts and save. It's that simple.

If you're concerned about the sloppy/sticky VOS gunk on the finish, spend the $20.00 and buy a bottle of Virtuoso Cleaner and a bottle of Virtuoso Polish. An old (clean, please) 100% cotton t-shirt and 1/2's worth of elbow grease and you'll have your gloss finish.

Dave

PS. depending on your body's pH level and how much you sweat when you play, you may find your new "unusted" parts aging very quickly as well. Or maybe not at all.

Archived