Gibson Brands Forums

Tremotone Tremolo / Selector Switch help

Taylorplayer

To all:

A friend gave me an Epiphone Crestwood Deluxe. Someone removed the original finish years ago, and then simply stained it a Walnut color without any varnish or top coat. The guitar is bascially all original, however, and I was delighted to get it. After cleaning up the electrics and re-stringing, it plays and sounds great.

There are two things I need to address, and I would apprecaiate any help that can be provided.

The first item is that I need to obtain a knob for the selectro switch. As the switch is American made, many of the ones I see on-line are clearly marked as being "metric only". Any suggestions on where to pick one up?

Secondly, I have the bar that goes with the temolo. I was told the "Tremotone" unit requires a spring (and it is missing) If so, where / how does it attach to the unit, and again, any suggestions on where I might aquire one?

Thank you in advance.

Will

IMG_0017_zps5qxmfhaz.jpg

To all:

A friend gave me an Epiphone Crestwood Deluxe. Someone removed the original finish years ago, and then simply stained it a Walnut color without any varnish or top coat. The guitar is bascially all original, however, and I was delighted to get it. After cleaning up the electrics and re-stringing, it plays and sounds great.

There are two things I need to address, and I would apprecaiate any help that can be provided.

The first item is that I need to obtain a knob for the selectro switch. As the switch is American made, many of the ones I see on-line are clearly marked as being "metric only". Any suggestions on where to pick one up?

Secondly, I have the bar that goes with the temolo. I was told the "Tremotone" unit requires a spring (and it is missing) If so, where / how does it attach to the unit, and again, any suggestions on where I might aquire one?

Thank you in advance.

Will

IMG_0017_zps5qxmfhaz.jpg

Sorry I can't shed any light on your parts requests. But HNGD and congrats, good score.

That's a great guitar to come your way.

if you can't find the switch tip anywhere, you could always replace the entire switch with a new one. a replacement spring should be easy to find. just google replacement Bigsby spring. it should be a direct replacement. also, it should fit under where the arm attaches to the unit.

Sorry I can't shed any light on your parts requests. But HNGD and congrats, good score.

That's a great guitar to come your way.

You can contact the guys at Nashville Fretworks and they can assist you with this. They can be found on Facebook.

if you can't find the switch tip anywhere, you could always replace the entire switch with a new one. a replacement spring should be easy to find. just google replacement Bigsby spring. it should be a direct replacement. also, it should fit under where the arm attaches to the unit.

I apprecaite you taking the time to reply. Good advice on the selector switch.

But on the Tremotone unit, I think this one had some sort of internal spring. There's no "cup" for the spring to sit in, and no indication that there was ever an external spring there at all.

I apprecaite you taking the time to reply. Good advice on the selector switch.

But on the Tremotone unit, I think this one had some sort of internal spring. There's no "cup" for the spring to sit in, and no indication that there was ever an external spring there at all.

that may be tricky...can you provide pics of where the spring should go? I'm not familiar with the older Trem-O-Tone units.

After checking a little more, it appears as though the spring is still there. But, the point where the arm attaches appears to not be "stopping" in the correct spot - as the arm would then sit very high above the face of the guitar. Look at the attached pic - the arm would attach on the lower point (where there's no screw currently)... I'd have to call it a "SkyTremolo" [rolleyes]

IMG_9918_zpspdi1laew.jpg

can you remove the piece the arm attaches to? it would think you may be able to reposition that piece to where the arm would be in a more ideal spot.

Had not thought of that! One problem fixed (selector switch - different post) and maybe one more also! I'll try that. Thanks very much. Chaplain Will

Archived