Gibson Brands Forums

New Tuners, Some Fret Dressin'...

Silvercrow

So, the Grover 102v tuners arrived yesterday and I got right to work, as I removed the GForce system last week. I went with the "milk bottle" Grovers cause to me, they seemed a little more "vintage" although admittedly I wouldn't know an actual vintage Grover if it bit me on the...

So, being overly particular and measuring two times squared, I mounted them on. Not bad! I';m happy with the way they look. Now to do a little fret-end dressing and we'll be ready. Will post pics as soon as it's completely back together.

Before putting it away last night, doing a wipe-down, I'm looking at the headstock straight-on, from the front. I'll be darned if it doesn't seem like the tuners on the bass side are set "out" toward the edge more so than the treble side? I saw it, probably a visual trick of the mind, put it away and thought "Just for fun I'll measure it tomorrow (today)". Well, I didn't have time to do it this A.M., but did pull out my SG Special. I'll be darned if it doesn't look the same; the tuner mounting holes set "out" just a scootch toward the edge!

Guys, having OCD sucks! (Or is it just being anal? Or Crazy?!) Into the re-loading area to get my calipers and measure tonight...until then, is there anyone else here who has thought this?

Brian

Guys, having OCD sucks! (Or is it just being anal? Or Crazy?!) Into the re-loading area to get my calipers and measure tonight...until then, is there anyone else here who has thought this?

I don't know what it is called, and I don't know if it is crazy or sucks or what.

I do know that if you don't let that stuff go, when it comes time to record something you really love and want to get out of you and down and finished, or you really just want to have a great time in a stank bar with a great band playing stuff you love to play:

MINUTIAE KILLS.

Let it go, bro. It is just a guitar.

rct

Let it go. RCT is right.

It's not a big thing. Imagine, I found out the some parts of the split diamond inlay on my Classic Custom are coming up! Now, that's a problem! [scared]

Well, nothing is perfect in this world. I struggle with that too, but got to live with it. Try to take it easy.

Cheers... Bence

Of course, you are both right. Doesn't help me any...but right nonetheless :rolleyes:

Once I actually get out there and start gigging again (soon, if things go right) I'll not be concerned about this stuff. Too much time t home, playing "with" the guitar and not enough time playing it...if that makes sense.

Bence- bummer! What if anything are you planning to do? I can't imagine where to start with a repair of that sort...although I'm sure there is a solution...

Brian

Bence- bummer! What if anything are you planning to do? I can't imagine where to start with a repair of that sort...although I'm sure there is a solution...

Brian

Hello Brian!

Sure, there are lot about inlay repairing on the net. So far, two pieces of the split diamond curled upwards. I can move them with fingers. I will wait to see how it progresses, then - if necessary - I will remove them with X-acto knife and replace them with real MOP pieces. It's just gluing, nothing really complicated. Inlays are available at many shops.

What I am surprised about, or would like to know, whether the inlays are applied before or after the lacquer has been sprayed on. As it seems, it is not covered with lacquer, but not completely sure.

If I have to repair, I'll document it in the repair section as I did all the other repairs/setups previously.

Cheers... Bence

Archived