Gibson Brands Forums

ever had a binding problem

blindboygrunt

Browsing local ads a guitar came up that had had repairs to the binding. It's a great job, or so it appears from the photos.

But I'm wondering why binding would need repaired. Seller hinting that it's a common thing... That it wears out over time. Sounds like horsefeathers to me, but I know nothing.

Interested in some expert thoughts

Grunt... I am guessing that binding problems can generally happen on newer and older guitars.

On newer guitars... perhaps they were not glued in properly.

On older guitars... the binding will lose moisture over time much less than the wood it is embedded in. So over time, there can be gaps around the binding as the wood dries and "shrinks".

Surely smarter folks than I can weigh in...

You looking newer or older?

When I eat too many bananas.

The binding had popped off my 1956 Epihone in several places when I found the guitar. It was all intact - just not on the guitar. I cut it and glued it back down. It left a bunch of gaps and someday I will get around to splicing in some binding. As the guitar only cost me $400 I really could not complain.

Had the binding start to come off a 1991 HD28 sometime around 2009. Other not so good things happened so it went back to Martin and they fixed everythig. I was original owner.

Humidity levels and fret sprout.

I got a jazz box with cracks in the neck binding appearing at some of the frets - probably a bit of low humidity fret sprout before I bought it used. Luckily the binding is stable and not getting loose.

My 65 Gretsch Country Gentleman is in the shop getting new bindings. 60's Gretsch are horrendous for deteriorating plastics.

As far as me, a couple fiber Gummie bears a day does the trick

Got an old Norlin era Sq SJ, binding let go a little bit on a bend years ago, but did not crack or shrink and has never acted up again since I set it back down.

LBS II works wonders!

steve

And fine since?

Yes, fine since, although I don't own it anymore. Saw it changed hands on AGF last year and it looked ok then.

BTW, Martin did what was quoted as $1000 worth of work for free on a 15 year old guitar. Took about 4 months, but it was like new. Neck reset, bridge re glue and re spray the top so the re glue was invisible. Re glue the binding was the easy part.

Rich

My 65 Gretsch Country Gentleman is in the shop getting new bindings. 60's Gretsch are horrendous for deteriorating plastics.

As far as me, a couple fiber Gummie bears a day does the trick

I was in GC the other day and they had a 67 Country Gentleman sitting on the sales floor like it was a $299 Epi. I figured they hadn't a clue to what it was until I saw the $2500 price tag.

I noticed two things as I briefly checked it out: the plastic on it was full of cracks and that guitar had the lowest action I've ever seen.

As to the rest of you, I didn't know that about bananas. And I'll have to try those Gummie Bears.

My 59' LG3 is still breathing thanks to Original Titebond. I've glued a few bindings, used bungie straps to hold things in place until dry. If the binding was bumped causing the problem you might need to look for other symptoms.

btw...... Chinese word for binding is 'hung-chow'.

Archived