Gibson Brands Forums

Steinberger Hardtail 1984

GibsonUK

Hi Guys

I've got what I believe to be a very rare 1984 Steinberger Hardtail , in extremely nice original condition .

Serial # 1584

I've just purchased it so any info known would be appreciated . I sure its a 1984 has been one owner form new so I believe ??

I've just given it a quick clean , see before and after photos on link :- HARDTAIL PICS ... and its pretty good all over ..

??? any help guys ?

As the new owner of a very fine Steinberger you should first learn that this forum here is the last recommended place to ask Steinberger related questions, the fans and knowledge usually are elsewhere ;)

No matter if you UK guys like the EU or not, but Headless Europe is quite close to you, and then there is always SteinbergerWorld.

That said, yes, you have a very early production model of the GL2 hardtail (#1578 was the first production model ever). Your guitar seems to be in fantastic shape, congratulations. Looks almost like a closet queen, did the previous owner use it at all?

Bernd

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone. I enjoy hearing of the early Steinbergers. I also have one, purchased in Sydney, Australia in the early nineties which I love and soon became a one for all seasons guitar. It came with a nylon gig bag with pocket, an insertable curved bracket (to fit to your leg?), a triangular curved piece of plastic with 2 strap buttons, (for a sling?), & weighs 2980 grams. It's identical in every way to the one mentioned & pictured, bar it doesn't have an engraved serial number on the base. The only identifying mark is a small round sticker under the battery compartment cover, with a number penned on it, 1580. I believe it to be genuine in every way, anyone with any love for the guitar has to have it wrestled back off them if they ever try it, furthermore as a lucky owner of several "big" name guitars, it more than holds it's own against anything, keeps perfect tune, & achieves any sound I ever want. I've never seen another one in my travels. I seek neither publicity nor reward for this guitar, but would love to learn anything I can of it regarding date of manufacture, rarity, value etc. I'd never sell it unless someone around here needed a transplant but am curious. Thanks everybody rock on. J.D.

I seek neither publicity nor reward for this guitar, but would love to learn anything I can of it regarding date of manufacture, rarity, value etc. I'd never sell it unless someone around here needed a transplant but am curious. Thanks everybody rock on. J.D.

Hello JD,

congratulations :)

I did some in-depth research on these old GLs, I own two prototypes (without serials) and a P-numbered pre-series model myself. From everything I learned about these guitars I made this timeline diagram about these old GLs: Steinberger GL History. More info on the headless europe website. For telling you more about your guitar, I'd need some pics, also of the inside. If you want you can send them via e-mail.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd you are a legend. I actually got interested to learn more from your dialog with Gibson UK, (possibly not his real name?) but couldn't get through to you personally via Email. I absolutely love this guitar & was genuinely floored to learn it may be one of the precursors to the modern day models. I will endeavour to get some decent pix to send. Thank you very much. J.D. Rock on everyone.

Hi Bernd sorry I am having trouble sending pix via Email, possibly because you are overseas, I am no computer expert by any stretch but had hoped it would be easier! Perhaps if you email me at jameskennedy825@yahoo.com.au I can get your email address that is acceptable to send & receive stuff. I have some OK pix of my Steinberger showing relevant points ready to go, it just keeps failing to send to Headless or Bernds email address. Cheers again J.D.

Hi Bernd sorry I am having trouble sending pix via Email, possibly because you are overseas, I am no computer expert by any stretch but had hoped it would be easier! Perhaps if you email me at jameskennedy825@yahoo.com.au I can get your email address that is acceptable to send & receive stuff. I have some OK pix of my Steinberger showing relevant points ready to go, it just keeps failing to send to Headless or Bernds email address. Cheers again J.D.

Hello JD,

being overseas has nothing to do with it. I've just sent a mail, simply respond to it and attach your pics :)

Bernd

Archived