Gibson Brands Forums

Some Help with My First Acoustic (input on Masterbuilts), Please

Jimmy 3

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. Been playing the guitar for 2 years (at age 48) and really enjoying it. I have two electrics and am getting ready to purchase my first acoustic for my birthday next month.

Looking for some input from those of you who have experience with Masterbuilts. Looking to spend between $500 - $800.

I'm 5' 7" n don't have huge hands. My favorite artist is Tom Keifer (from Cinderella) and also a big fan of John Corabi who does some wonderful acoustic stuff . . . a few links below to give you an idea of what I like and the sound I want to emulate (in the first link, Corabi's using an Epiphone Masterbuilt but I don't see that model on the Epiphone website).

When I recently visited Sam Ash, one of their reps introduced me to the Masterbuilt Series (they had all 3). He also showed me a Guild GAD M-120. The DR=500MCE sounded awesome but the size of the AJ-45ME was a little more comfortable.

Would love everyone's input on the Masterbuilt AJ-45ME vs the DR-500MCE vs the Masterbilt EF-500RCCE (what's the difference between the EF and the DR especially)? Is the model Corabi's playing in the first link available?

Appreciate you time and input very much.

Thanks - Jimmy SEE LINKS BELOW

They are very good guitars. The one he is playing looks like a DR 500P, they have one for sale on reverb for $475.00 That is the Masterbilt with the solid maple back and sides. Play whats comfortable to you, that makes you want to play.

The one he is playing looks like a DR 500P....

I would concur. Solid maple back and sides, solid spruce top. The DR has square shoulders, the AJ sloped shoulders. The EF is a bit smaller, which might give you a better fit, but the nut on the EF is 1.75" while the others are the more typical 1.68", so that might not fit your smaller hands. The maple back and sides DR is pretty rare, and it's really rare on the EF. Otherwise it's solid mahogany or solid rosewood b/s, with spruce tops (except the AJ500RC, which is a cedar top). No question the Masterbilts are great for this price range, but even if you don't go with one, I'd say there are better alternatives than that Guild. [flapper]

To my knowledge, they don't make non-cutaway Masterbilts anymore (which are spelled without the "u" [wink]), so you can only get those used, but they're often in very fine condition. They were produced from 2004-2011. Nowadays all Masterbilts are cutaways with electronics....

....except for the AJ45ME, which is a very cool just-released 2015 new version. No cutaway, with electronics. It's a regular size AJ body, 1.68" nut, but with a scale length of 24.75", while all the others are 25.5".

In fact, I might have to get me one of those. [cool]

Jimmy - you might want to check out the Epiphone Texan or even the AJ220. The AJ220 on particular is amazing for the price and is really comfortable to play and has a rich sound despite its very reasonable price. No pickup though - the Texan is simialr dimension with added pickup and solid back. if you're after one with a pickup an a cutaway the AJ220CE might be a good choice as well. Happy shopping - I love looking for a new guitar! [thumbup]

I was lucky enough to buy a Masterbilt DR-500M last year, but I believe they have been discontinued. If the other Masterbilts are comparable, I would highly recommend them. This is my first guitar and I really love it. Great craftsmanship and sound, and at $499 it was just at my price range. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't think twice about buying one. Good luck and have fun playing!

Hey, Jimmy. Welcome.

I am also around 5'7' with proportional hand size. I just purchased an 09 AJ500m 1 month ago and I think it is a great guitar. At first I felt the AJ body was too large for me, I had been playing a parlor. I have adapted to the large AJ body just fine and have to say that the neck feel on this guitar is awesome. If you want an electric/acoustic go for the AJ45me. I tried a Texan because of the electronics and I liked the gloss finish, felt it is a good guitar, but did not have the feel of the Masterbilt. Choose what speaks to you, one of those intangible things, I know many on these forums love the Texan. You may find a used Masterbilt in the $300-500 range. Peace, love and understanding.

Thanks everyone for the input ... very much appreciated. In doing a little more research, I have 2 questions . . . again, any input would be great:

1. In comparing the Masterbilt DR500MCE to the EF-500RCCE, it sounds like the EF is more for finger picking (slightly larger nut)and a little smaller body. I like the idea of a smaller body, but I typically play more of a strumming/flat pick like the stuff in the videos I shared in my original posts. Any thought as to if the EF would still be okay given my style n average size hands?

2. Anyone have any experience in comparing the Masterbilt AJ-45ME versus something like the Recording King RAJ-26 or 22? I read some positive things about the RKs . . . any input?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Between the Dr and Ef your best bet is try them or try other guitars with the same specs .

The Dr is good for me and comfortable I finger pic a lot and at the nut area it's hard to separate the notes as my fingers get bunched up but farther up the neck it's just right strumming is good but definition might not be if that matters

On my Blueridge and the same for the Gad guild F130 I had the spacing takes some time to get used to though at the nut end its not so bad but rather up the neck it's more of a spread . No probs with strumming and you can get every note you want .

I have stubby fingers , hand size I don't know not large lol but I've been working my fingers in big stretches on chords for a long time for me between neck width it falls more to wrist angles .

Can't say on the other models . You have to first know what sound you want from the guitar , loud and punchy or smooth and warm or well balanced or more mid ranged tone

Check out some info on wood types and there tones like Cedar tops vrs Sitka or Engleman for the common tops

Then go to body woods

Once you know that then you can start hunting models and comparing .

If that don't matter there's always eni meanie miney moe 😊

I bought a DR 500mce about a year and a half ago. I had not played guitar for many years. I am way impressed. I would highly recommend one. The tone and sustain are unbelievably good. the gloss finish and the vintage burst are gorgeous. I wish it did not have a cutaway, but that is a minor complaint. [thumbup]

I once played a used Masterbilt EF rosewood. I liked the size of the body, but found the neck to be chunky, it had a slight V shape. Probably could adapt to that. I see the specs on the new EF indicate a C shaped neck, they must have changed the build. But I wanted a mahogany body and I liked the AJ better.

If you can find a nice AJ used, they are comfortable necks as well. I have an AJ-500 RE,sitka spruce top and rosewood back and sides (matte finish though), and it is a great player. Lots of tone and volume. X bracing, I believe forward shifted. Longer scale than the EJ-45. I have not played the recording kings, only watched some reviews, and they seem to be very well made guitars as well.

+1 on the cliffenstien Recording king . I'll admit though having heard up close and personal the vids I heard had it sounding .... To me better any other similar model in the high end corner . I'm impressed with its tone .

Did you watch the video of Iain Matthews playing one? It's the video that sold me on it.

1. In comparing the Masterbilt DR500MCE to the EF-500RCCE, it sounds like the EF is more for finger picking (slightly larger nut)and a little smaller body. I like the idea of a smaller body, but I typically play more of a strumming/flat pick like the stuff in the videos I shared in my original posts. Any thought as to if the EF would still be okay given my style n average size hands?

Yeah, they say the EFs are good fingerpickers, and they are, just because of the wider string spacing apparently (1/16" wider at the nut), but you can still flat pick 'em just fine. The AJ500RC was my last Masterbilt acquisition, and I think its dimensions are just a little bit bigger than EFs, but man, did I notice the difference when I put her in my lap. She's a big girl, and I'm 6'. She's got a correspondingly big voice, too. You're in a good position, though. Whichever you choose, you win!

Yeah, they say the EFs are good fingerpickers, and they are, just because of the wider string spacing apparently (1/16" wider at the nut), but you can still flat pick 'em just fine. The AJ500RC was my last Masterbilt acquisition, and I think its dimensions are just a little bit bigger than EFs, but man, did I notice the difference when I put her in my lap. She's a big girl, and I'm 6'. She's got a correspondingly big voice, too. You're in a good position, though. Whichever you choose, you win!

Personally, I'd look for a early period 03'-05' vintage DR or AJ. If you like that "chunky" sound, go for the AJ. If you can find a Maple DR that would be my first choice hands down..

Well I started this topic and have since had a chance to do more research and play . . . a lot of fun BUT a little stressful trying to make sure I end-up getting something I love and continue to love over time. Well, my b-day is next month so I got a few weeks to really narrow things down. Here's what I'm looking at . . . would love your input. In no order . . .

1. So I've played the Masterbilt AJ-45ME and the DR500MCE. I can say everyone's concerns about the finish on the AJ is true . . . not impressive. To me, the DR sounds a lot better as well. Going to play it again on Sunday to see how comfortable it is.

2. I've played a Guild F-130CE and loved the size of it. I'm 5' 7" with avg size hands and this fit like a glove.

3. Given my disappointment in the AJ, I started investigating other alternatives that I've read great things about like the Recording King RAJ-126 (

), the Blueridge BG-140 (
), and the Guild F-130 (
)

4. Lastly, I've read excellent things about Eastman guitars. I was interested in the slope shoulder E10SS(

) but some dealers I've spoken to have recommended the Eastman E20 OM or E10 OM (
). Granted the Eastmans are going to run around $1000 while the guild around $800 and the Epi around $600. I figure, $1000 is my limit.

I think most of these can get me into the Tom Keifer/Cinderella and John Corabi acoustic area/sound I'm looking for.

So that's a lot to take in . . . a lot to cover in a few weeks but would love your input and advice.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Jimmy

Jimmy,

That RAJ-126 (as well as its 12 fret fraternal twin, the RAJ-122) will give you exactly what you want. Don't be afraid to buy one. It won't let you down.

If you don't have to have all-solid then pick up an Epiphone IB64 Texan. It has laminated sides, but solid everything else and is a monster of a guitar with a street price of just $399 new. You'll have plenty left over to pay for a fret dressing, a setup and a case and have hundreds left over. It comes with really great electronics, too, in case you ever want or need to plug in.

This all comes down to what feels right and looks nice. Since the Guild seems to be the best fit, go for it. I've heard the Guild playability of the neck is spot on. Will you have a chance to play any or all of the other guitars on your list? Personal preference by looking at the videos you posted, I love the Recording King sounds and looks are all together wonderful and the Blueridge has those stunning fret board inlays, awesome look. My personal preference is the Slope shoulder body over the 000 body. Remember I'm the little man who plays the AJ500 and it feels good to me, I've also played the 000 body and they are great too, just not as strong in my opinion. Hope you can demo more guitars soon.

@ jimmy ...... My blueridge and guild have upped the game and feel pretty sure I won't be playing her that much any more . Some keep guitars like paintings I just need to have what I will play . 😊

Owned an f130 nice guitar triple O body great balance tone wise as well as build but not one that will keep up with open jams unless plugged up .

Bling is nice like on my Blueridge BR180A ... But does not make the guitar sound better .

My Guild 12 is proof of that in my house it's just a standard so no bling but she's hot everywhere else .

My DR500mce is really a great guitar for the money she plays awesome looks good and sounds good both open and plugged in . My tastes in tone has changed as I learn more . I becoming interested in Blondes now and Doyle Dykes is the reason lol he has some beautiful songs and his guitar just sounds fantastic then you gotz the money your gunna get good guitars lol

I'm really digging his signature Guild but dang that almost 4 grand anyways I stool Guild rosewood or maybe harder to find Guild Koa on my mind but I ain't telling the wife for a long time lmao .

I'll sell the Dr for 400,00 it's an Indonesian build . She's had a total make over new nut and saddle all bone of coarse fret dress and custom dyed bone bridge pins with case .

So if you drift towards the Dr let me know I'll get pics to ya that is if your in the U.S. Also just to add I'm one very picky guy when it comes to guitars I went through 3 Dr's to get this one . I don't mean on the shelf needless to say The store did not get made at me ... Openly Lmao .

Good luck on your hunt .

Archived