Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 tuning stability issue

merciful-evans

ES-339 Studio 2015

Hi

As posted elsewhere I am new to Gibsons and this is my first. I've had the guitar 10 days.

Tuning issues: With G string bends it has gone ‘ping’ a couple of times. It will detune at this stage. The last time this happened it lost nearly a halftone! Obviously I wont be able to gig this until I have a remedy.

I think I know why this happens. The G and D nut slots are straight but the strings splay outward from the nut on the headstock because of the tuner placement. In essence it’s a design issue I think.

So how do you experienced players cope. It is a case of fettling the nut slots to minimise resistance? Or should I just add some nut sauce?

Just to be clear. This is a new guitar with the original strings still on it. After 10 hours of use the strings are well played in now.

The set up seems pretty good with the right amount of neck relief and action.

-evans

Welcome. Nut sauce, is an option. Or graphite dust from pencil lead, may seem dirty at first. StewMac has abrasives just for nut slotting should you require a more permanent solution, and replacements are available for the experienced builders.

Personally I graphite dust my 335. I run a heavier gauge and they love to stick. Not anymore though. See: Repair and Restoration column for more posts on the subject.

Welcome. Nut sauce, is an option. Or graphite dust from pencil lead, may seem dirty at first. StewMac has abrasives just for nut slotting should you require a more permanent solution, and replacements are available for the experienced builders.

Personally I graphite dust my 335. I run a heavier gauge and they love to stick. Not anymore though. See: Repair and Restoration column for more posts on the subject.

James,

thanks for the those tips. I'll have a look at that column now.

You need to stretch the strings enough when you tune so there's no stretch left in them when you're bending.

After 10 hours of use the strings are well played in now.

If I could stretch it anymore, it would be time to change the strings :)

I have 2 335s and have had several Gibsons. My experience has been the nut is the problem. Gibson cuts the nut slots too narrow imo. The options are 1- replace the nut, 2- have the nut slots widened ever so slightly or use nutsauce or an equivalent and tough it out until the slots get worn enough. I would just widen the slots personally. The nut slots are the achilles heel of Gibsons . Thats why they are going the route of autotune and a brass nut.

I have 2 335s and have had several Gibsons. My experience has been the nut is the problem. Gibson cuts the nut slots too narrow imo. The options are 1- replace the nut, 2- have the nut slots widened ever so slightly or use nutsauce or an equivalent and tough it out until the slots get worn enough. I would just widen the slots personally. The nut slots are the achilles heel of Gibsons . Thats why they are going the route of autotune and a brass nut.

Thanks. That's confirmation of what I had suspected. Good to know that extra info too. I'll slacken off the string & see if I can get it to glide.

The Memphis models aren't yet getting the brass zero fret/ nut or G Force, or mine would have them too.

I actually thought the new z-fret/nut was a great idea. Its sad to now see that the brass was too soft for the purpose.

regards evans

Archived