Gibson Brands Forums

I'm interested in a 58, 59 or 60 Standard Reissue VOS

wannabe~RokZtar

Thanks for checking out my Posting. I'm interested in a 59 or 60 Standard Reissue VOS because the little research I've done it looks like those are some of the best guitars ever made. I don't have big hands so I was thinking a smaller neck would be better for me.

#1 I'm not sure the about differences between the 2 guitars other than the neck size[/b]- 59 bigger neck and 60 slimmer Neck.

#2 I'm not sure why some new Les Pauls cost $2,000 and some cost $5,000 and up (Obviously customs cost much more but does different wood make better sound and cost more, totally cosmetic or what?)

#3 I'm not sure the difference between Humbucker and Burstbucker Pick-ups and some of the other features of the Les Paul Custom, Standard, Supreme, Classic, Classic Custom (did I miss any?) And why I would choose a particular type of pickup to play Rock, Blues and Country Rock ie Eagles....

Any wisdom that could be advised would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

wannabe~RokZtar

Hey Wannabe

1) Check back to older postings because the Admin has given specific neck "thickness" measurements, for another user, between the 58, 59, 60. Custom Shop reissues. These instruments are meant to replicate the guitars they made in that era, including the same types of tuners, electronics etc...

2) Gibson USA vs. Gibson Custom Shop:

Two divisions one company is why you are probably seeing a huge price difference. First off both make high quality instruments. I own one of each. The Gibson USA models are standard factory production and range in price. They are still U.S. made Gibson and are of high quality for the price range. I have mentioned before in another forum that I have a Gibson USA SG Select. It is not a "custom shop" guitar, but it's craftsmanship and set up ( ie string height, intonation..) were much better than my Fender custom Shop Strat. two different guitars I know but Gibson just uses great materials and electronics. You can buy a Gibson Les Paul studio and have an excellent guitar for the price range.

Gibson Custom Shop:

Uses typically higher quality materials and a more handcrafted approach. I own a 1960 LP Reissue pictured in my avatar. It had a beautiful set up from the factory and the fretboard has been Plek'd (look this up) it is a new process that insures a perfect set up. You can tell the difference in wood qulaity by looking at the grain of the wood on the guitar. For example my 1960 has a beautiful fretboard grain. I haven't seen another guitar like it. it is unique. All the CS guitars have a uniqueness to them, their own character, because of the great woods, electronics and handcrafted care that goes into manufacturing these fine instruments. They produce fewer models and are therefore much more expensive in general to the Gibson USA models, although that is not always the case. They come with a certificate of authenticity.

3) Humbuckers are wide pickups as opposed to Single Coil Pickups. they were created by Gibson in 1956/57 to cancel the background amp noise created by single coil pickups. They "buck the hum". So a burstbucker is Gibsons attempt to match it's late fifties PAF pickups (patent applied for). the Burstbucker is as close to those as you can get. If you want more details go to the accessories section on the Gibson USA website.

For your selection of music a BurstBucker would suit you nicely. If you dont want to spend the 5K for a Custom Shop reissue I would suggest the Les Paul Standard with a sixties neck from Gibson USA, they look the closest to the Custom Shop RIs. Hope this helps

• 6 years later...

Another aspect to this, is the sheer aesthetic value.

Les Paul guitars built in the 1950's, and in 1960; are some of the most valuable guitars in the world. Some easily fetch six-figure price tags when up for sale. This is, in part, because they come from the 'first era' of Les Paul guitars.

HISTORY LESSON! [biggrin] Les Paul himself worked with Gibson on the design of the then-standard, custom, and junior models; until his contract with them expired, and production of the Les Paul we know today ceased in 1961 altogether. The SG replaced it in Gibson's catalogue, and for a time held the name "Les Paul" until the man himself complained he didn't like the guitar, and didn't want to be associated with it. Les Paul came back to Gibson later in the 1960's as the guitar became popular again with emerging bands from the UK and the like, so production was resumed.

Because this 'first era' wasn't relatively long; the guitars are a rarity due to low production numbers. This uniqueness, combined with the sounds they made (the legendary PAF tones) make a collectors' piece.

So having a reissue model, which are based on these prestigious instruments; has a premium. Totally worth it; looking at getting me an R8 as the next purchase. Sell the car!

Guest Farnsbarns

Another aspect to this, is the sheer aesthetic value.

Les Paul guitars built in the 1950's, and in 1960; are some of the most valuable guitars in the world. Some easily fetch six-figure price tags when up for sale. This is, in part, because they come from the 'first era' of Les Paul guitars.

HISTORY LESSON! [biggrin]Les Paul himself worked with Gibson on the design of the then-standard, custom, and junior models; until his contract with them expired, and production of the Les Paul we know today ceased in 1961 altogether. The SG replaced it in Gibson's catalogue, and for a time held the name "Les Paul" until the man himself complained he didn't like the guitar, and didn't want to be associated with it. Les Paul came back to Gibson later in the 1960's as the guitar became popular again with emerging bands from the UK and the like, so production was resumed.

Because this 'first era' wasn't relatively long; the guitars are a rarity due to low production numbers. This uniqueness, combined with the sounds they made (the legendary PAF tones) make a collectors' piece.

So having a reissue model, which are based on these prestigious instruments; has a premium. Totally worth it; looking at getting me an R8 as the next purchase. Sell the car!

Sorry but this is largely inaccurate misconception.

52 to 57 Les Pauls fetch far less than the 58-60 bursts, their value is not so high because they were the "first era" it's because there were only 1712 built between 58 and 60, when the sun burst finish was introduced, very few were sold, people thought of them as old fashioned. They became very highly regarded for tone and sustain and their rarity caused prices to sky rocket. The "first era" Les Paul's, relatively speaking, have very low values.

Les Paul did not work with Gibson to design the Les Paul. It was shown to him compete and the only thing he asked to be changed was the trapeze tail piece design. Ted McCarty was the brain behind the design.

Les' contract with Gibson didn't "expire" and that isn't the reason the SG came along. This was a mutual agreement between Gibson and Les Paul quite some time into SG production. The reason was that Les wanted to minimise his divorce settlement with Mary Ford by ending the endorsement temporarily. The story that Les disliked the SG is untrue.

#1 I'm not sure the about differences between the 2 guitars other than the neck size[/b]- 59 bigger neck and 60 slimmer Neck.

#2 I'm not sure why some new Les Pauls cost $2,000 and some cost $5,000 and up (Obviously customs cost much more but does different wood make better sound and cost more, totally cosmetic or what?)

wannabe~RokZtar

Typically the 58 neck is fatter than the 59, but as they are hand built, that's not always true. The 60 is slimmer than the other 2.

The only way to find whats right for you, is play some.

I think the only other difference between the 58 and 59 is the burst finish, but again, you can get great flame tops on 58`s, so you have to check them out.

Regarding why do some cost more than others. You are paying for the quality of the materials such as light mahogany, exclusivity and the cost of manufacturing shorter runs.

There is a Les Paul for most peoples budgets and desires.

For me, its my 2011 Plain top.

Do your self a favor and go and play some, until you find one you like. Don`t get too hung up on its label.

Try some Studio`s, Standards, Tradition's, Custom Shop and VOS. If your lucky you may fall for the lower cost options and have some cash left over to enjoy later.

All the best

• 3 weeks later...

After much deliberation and in store trials, I purchased a 1960 Custom Shop VOS this past weekend; and I picked the 60 vs a 59 based on the size of the neck. I can also state that the neck feel is better/quicker than any new guitar I have purchased and I have purchased from everyone at all price ranges. In addition I did note that the wiring was true to the time period, i.e., tone to the middle lug of the volume pot. I know it is early in the ownership process, but it is the nicest LP that I have owned including an original 2001 Gary Moore that I used to think couldn't be beat.

Typically the 58 neck is fatter than the 59, but as they are hand built, that's not always true. The 60 is slimmer than the other 2.

The only way to find whats right for you, is play some.

I think the only other difference between the 58 and 59 is the burst finish, but again, you can get great flame tops on 58`s, so you have to check them out.

Regarding why do some cost more than others. You are paying for the quality of the materials such as light mahogany, exclusivity and the cost of manufacturing shorter runs.

There is a Les Paul for most peoples budgets and desires.

For me, its my 2011 Plain top.

Do your self a favor and go and play some, until you find one you like. Don`t get too hung up on its label.

Try some Studio`s, Standards, Tradition's, Custom Shop and VOS. If your lucky you may fall for the lower cost options and have some cash left over to enjoy later.

All the best

Thanks for checking out my Posting. I'm interested in a 59 or 60 Standard Reissue VOS because the little research I've done it looks like those are some of the best guitars ever made. I don't have big hands so I was thinking a smaller neck would be better for me.

#3 I'm not sure the difference between Humbucker and Burstbucker Pick-ups and some of the other features of the Les Paul Custom, Standard, Supreme, Classic, Classic Custom (did I miss any?) And why I would choose a particular type of pickup to play Rock, Blues and Country Rock ie Eagles....

Any wisdom that could be advised would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

wannabe~RokZtar

#1 - try out a 57, 58, 59 and 60s reissue if you can. I don't have big hands either and none of these models have baseball bat necks. They're all comfortabe to me. About the only thing I don't like are really thin necks like Ibanez Wizard type necks.

#2 - Custom shop models are more expensive, but totally worth it if you can afford it. Better finishes, better craftmanship, etc. Don't overlook used custom shop LPs. You can find great used reissues for $4K or less.

#3 - Burstbuckers are Humbuckers. I personally don't like Burstbuckers in LPs (but they sound great in my 335), but a lot of people like them. I never worry about what kind of PUs come on a LP because they are easy to change out and really, Burstbuckers are perfectly fine. You're amp choice is way more important. I look at playability (action, comfort, how well it sustains notes) and the quality of the workmanship. You don't even have to plug it in to test that.

After much deliberation and in store trials, I purchased a 1960 Custom Shop VOS this past weekend; and I picked the 60 vs a 59 based on the size of the neck. I can also state that the neck feel is better/quicker than any new guitar I have purchased and I have purchased from everyone at all price ranges. In addition I did note that the wiring was true to the time period, i.e., tone to the middle lug of the volume pot. I know it is early in the ownership process, but it is the nicest LP that I have owned including an original 2001 Gary Moore that I used to think couldn't be beat.

Congratulations and enjoy [thumbup]

Archived