Gibson Brands Forums

an SG Special or something else?

dean thom

Hi all

I've an SG. it's badged as a 'Special' however it only has one pick-up in the bridge position. Everything i've read so far has stated that the Soecial has 2 pick - ups and it is the 'Junior' that only has the one. From the serial number on the rear it was made in Nashville in October 1982. The original Junior was discontinued in 1971 and only reissued in the 90s. The guitar has dot inlays and is without the 'flame' found on the higher end guitars. Can anyone shed any further light on it?

regards, dean

Hi all

I've an SG. it's badged as a 'Special' however it only has one pick-up in the bridge position. Everything i've read so far has stated that the Soecial has 2 pick - ups and it is the 'Junior' that only has the one. From the serial number on the rear it was made in Nashville in October 1982. The original Junior was discontinued in 1971 and only reissued in the 90s. The guitar has dot inlays and is without the 'flame' found on the higher end guitars. Can anyone shed any further light on it?

regards, dean

That's an SG Junior, not a Special. IMO the only REAL SG Specials have P90 pickups and I encourage anyone with a humbucker "Special," to put humbucker-size P90s in it. Of course no one will FOLLOW my recommendation, and that's ok. But Specials have P90s.

That's an SG Junior, not a Special. IMO the only REAL SG Specials have P90 pickups and I encourage anyone with a humbucker "Special," to put humbucker-size P90s in it. Of course no one will FOLLOW my recommendation, and that's ok. But Specials have P90s.

but juniors weren't in production when this was made.

Ya know, when I got my first Gibson, which was just a very few months ago, I thought "wow, Gibson seems so straight forward with their model names / numbers / specs!" BOY WAS I WRONG.

Not arguing here with 12AY7, and Jaygl knows his Gibsons / SGs so he will tell ya, but the one in my avatar (see, that microscopic looking blue thing?)is my guitar, which was Christened by Gibson as "2008 Gibson SG Special, Limited Edition". The 'limited' part is: ebony fretboard, fret markers only at frets 5 and 12, and limited 'blue mist' colour. OH...AND it has two 490 pups, uncovered, OEM. Go figure...

I dont have details, but seems Gibson 'brings back' model names whenever they deem appropriate.

Recently, there was discussion here about a two p90 pickup Gibson Les Paul Special Junior. (!!) Really, are they intentionally trying to warp our collective gourds? :huh:

I'll also chime in.."Pics...we need pics...plenty of pics..."

Brian

It's a one pickup SG special. Gibson stopped production in 1985 of this model, but before '85 you could get a 1 or 2 pickup version. Should have a maple neck. Has the typical blocky 80's style SG contours for sure. Nice find. [thumbup]

It's a one pickup SG special. Gibson stopped production in 1985 of this model, but before '85 you could get a 1 or 2 pickup version. Should have a maple neck. Has the typical blocky 80's style SG contours for sure. Nice find. [thumbup]

Correct. Thats what Gibson called that guitar. You would think Gibson would call it something else.

But it not a true special. I dont know why Gibson does that. Marketing? IDN Its a pet peeve of mine when the do that.

A true special has two p-90s and a bound neck. A true Junior has one P-90.

I guess a true Les Paul has P90s, a trapeze tailpiece, and an unplayable neck, since, evidently, model specifications aren't subject to change.

How about if I use the term original instead of true?

That'd work, but that still doesn't make the current idea of an SG special any less an SG special. ;)

The SG in this post is from the 80s that was made for a short time. Gibson called it a special. Thats how said guitar got its name. Gibson called it that.

Its not like a special that has been made consistently for over a decade. Starting in the 60s after for the short time the were called Les Pauls.

That only changed because Les himself had a problem with that. From time to time Gibson reissues those guitar the started out as original specials with P-90s

For the most part the call them specials IMHO like they should. Ive seen them called classic's. at least they had 2 P-90s and a bound fretboard.

Im taking back what I said about what are true specials. The "originals" to me are what "I" call "true specials." They were also made for over a decade.I even

consider original or true SGs models where the neck joins closer to the body.

Not small runs every once in a while that Gibson called those guitars special. Gibson can call any guitar shaped like an SG what ever they want. Im talking SGs here.

They do it with Les Pauls as well as other models.

You have you opinions and I have mine. An "original" or "true" SG special to me is one that has 2 P-90s and a bound fretboard. Like I said thats my opinion and you have yours.

Im not going to get into pissing contest over names.

Archived