Gibson Brands Forums

Added a Midtown Custom recently

Jim Zeppelin

Hey all,

I've been watching these Midtown Customs ever since Duane V picked one up a little while back. I was looking at the 339s but used Midtowns are all over ebay at fairly decent prices, a few hundred bucks below what they go for now. After watching for a few months I decided to bite on one of the cherry sunbursts in "like new" condition. They didn't make the cherry SB during the last run in 2014 so mine is a 2012. I was a little hesitant about the Richlite since I hadn't tried it yet but I don't notice the difference while playing. I can feel the difference just touching it but what does that matter. The sound of the guitar is like an airy LP but still with plenty of sustain. It does not project hardly at all compared to my 339 Epi Pro. I also have to say that this is the first time that I've purchased a guitar online that came with the intonation set near perfect. I usually purchase online as I live out in the boonies. So that was a bonus. So far I'm very pleased.

post-61604-010543000 1432926664_thumb.jpg

Well done! Who knows how long they will be around.

I would consider getting one myself, but I have heard, that it sounds very similiar to a Les Paul. Is that true? I am curious, since I don't have the chance to try one locally.

Cheers... Bence

I would consider getting one myself, but I have heard, that it sounds very similiar to a Les Paul. Is that true? I am curious, since I don't have the chance to try one locally.

Cheers... Bence

Yes Bence they do , midtown looks better to me

4H

Cheers... Bence

Hi Bence,

It does sound just like an LP when plugged in and with high gain. Clean sounds a little thinner or airy but very nice. Unplugged it does project more than an LP but who really cares about that. But that is when I notice the most difference. Upper reg access is as good as my Firebird which is better than my LP which is good because I don't have large hands and that LP heel is a bit of an issue for me. Jim

Archived