Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Guitar Amp Recommendations

Daveyl7

I'm thinking about entry level 30-50 watts. I will probably buy used. So far I found Vox, Crate, Acoustic are priced fairly. Suggestions welcomed. Anyone ever use a hybrid amp for acoustic guitar.?Thank you.

You should look for an amp that is specifically "voiced" for an acoustic guitar. DO NOT buy an electric guitar amp.

Some "acoustic" amps even have a second channel with a XLR microphone input.

You should look for an amp that is specifically "voiced" for an acoustic guitar. DO NOT buy an electric guitar amp.

Some "acoustic" amps even have a second channel with a XLR microphone input.

That's what I found in my research. Thanks for the heads up. .

I think Ibanez makes a pretty good economical acoustic guitar amp. I have a 10w version that is quite good. For a more expensive one, I recommend a Dean Marley UltraSound 50w acoustic guitar amp...which I also have. Pleased with both of 'em.

Yes, I had my eye on the ultra sound amp, These amps have a great reputation and of course sound good, but they are hard to come by used. I decided to purchase a Vox 30w amp $85 shipped used. May I ask what guitar and pickup do you use when you plug in.

I use a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Acoustic Soundhole pickup on my acoustic guitars. I own three of the pickups and move them between my guitars, depending on which guitar I am using. Guitars I gig with with the pickup include my Gibson 1964 Custom Shop J-45 Reissue, my 1956 Epiphone FT79, my 1994 Gibson Gospel Reissue, my 1965 Gibson LG1, my Epiphone El-00, and whatever other acoustic guitar in my collection I'm moved to use. I also use an Ohana Uke with a clip on Cherub pickup. All through the UltraSound 50w Acoustic Amp. Plus, I use my 1965 Gibson 125tc hollow body electric with a built in P90 in it through the UltraSound. When I bring my whole sound system, I put the UltraSound directly into the sound system through its microphone plug out in the back of the amp into one of sound system's microphone in jacks.

I like the Fishman rare Earth Rare Earth Humbucker Acoustic Soundhole pickup. Easy to use, easily interchangeable among my flat top guitars. I just let the cord hand out of the soundhole so no modification to my acoustic guitars is needed. Works fine on all of them. My EL-00 has a built in Fishman piezo that I don't use, but instead put the Fishman Rate Earth Humbucker Acoustic Soundhole pickup on it. Piezos don't jive with the way I play guitar, often resting my right hand on the saddle to mute some sounds.

The UltraSound has two in jacks. One with no effects (for a microphone) and one with various effects (including no effects) that I put the guitar into.

It's a mini standalone sound system or just an amp or an amp that can plug into a sound system with more speakers and additional mic in jacks, etc.

I've also used it as a monitor to my sound system when I don't feel like bringing a larger monitor.

At home when practicing, if I choose to plug in, I'll use my 10w Ibanez Acoustic Guitar Amp or sometimes my Ultrasound Acoustic Guitar Amp.

Hope this info helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I decided to purchase a Vox 30w amp $85 shipped used.

I've got a Vox 30w that I picked up used for $100 - the AD30VT. I'm no pro like L5Larry, but I really like this amp (in comparison to the crap I had). It's got 11 amp models, 11 effects. I run electrics and acoustics through it.

Hey Jazzman, You certainly have a great line-up of guitars and some fine ways of putting it all to good use. This will be my first try at pluggin in my acoustic, I'm going to use a Seymour Duncan Woody XL it's a Humbucker.

Hey Cougar, You are using the same amp that I ordered used, hoping mine is delivered in good shape. I like the idea of the modeling and the tube preamp, should give a warm sound to my guitars. I hope yours has served you well. Thanks to both of you for your ideas.

Have you played your AJ500 through your Vox?. Must be interesting, clean and with effects.

No electronics on that one. Or any of my Masterbilts. I run my Martin through it, the EL00, the Performer, seems to me they all sound great clean. The "Tweed 4x10" seems best for that. It's just a super fun amp.

I've got a Vox 30w that I picked up used for $100 - the AD30VT. I'm no pro like L5Larry, but I really like this amp (in comparison to the crap I had). It's got 11 amp models, 11 effects. I run electrics and acoustics through it.

Yes, my amp was delivered last night, so today I opened the box and tried out the amp for the first time. WOW, This little thing throws down some cool sounds and MAN it is powerful. It is compact, but hefty, weights about 25lbs. I'm having some fun playing my guitars with a soundhole pickup and this Vox amp. The tweed setting is a good clean setting and I really like the boutique OD for some heavy bass sound. So many possibilities with this amp, only limited by my imagination and playing ability. I'm stoked.

...MAN it is powerful.

Yeah! I like how you can set the wattage with the turn of a dial. I rarely set mine over 15W. It's loud!

So many possibilities with this amp, only limited by my imagination and playing ability.

Exactly. I also like how you can dial in how much effect you add. Reverb is great.

I'm stoked.

Oh, you're from SoCal, lol. I spent most of my life there. Lots of everything there. Well, except snow.

Yeah! I like how you can set the wattage with the turn of a dial. I rarely set mine over 15W. It's loud!

Exactly. I also like how you can dial in how much effect you add. Reverb is great.

I need to learn that trick. Can you let me in on the secret?

Oh, you're from SoCal, lol. I spent most of my life there. Lots of everything there. Well, except snow.

I live in Long Beach, as you know the drought here has been brutal. Pray this summer isn't too hot.

I should turn that knob down half a step, that is the knob on the back panel, right.

I live in Long Beach, as you know the drought here has been brutal. Pray this summer isn't too hot.

Bring in the iceburgs!

I should turn that knob down half a step, that is the knob on the back panel, right.

Right - marked 'power level'. Anywhere from 1 to 30 watts. Set it lower, then you can power up the volume knob for best effects. [cool]

• 1 month later...

How about a Fender Acoustasonic? Gives you electric options too. I have to say my current setup is to play my Epiphone Masterbilt through a Boss ME 80 into a Roland Blues Cube and the Nanoflex pickup goes to a Yamaha THR on the other side of the room.....Sounds fabulous!

How about a Fender Acoustasonic? Gives you electric options too. I have to say my current setup is to play my Epiphone Masterbilt through a Boss ME 80 into a Roland Blues Cube and the Nanoflex pickup goes to a Yamaha THR on the other side of the room.....Sounds fabulous!

Yeah, the Fender Acoustasonic was an amp I was interested in, but I just could not spend the money. It costs considerably more than the used Vox. I always need to keep budget in mind. The Acoustasonic seems like a fine quality amp with cool features-options. I've been impressed with the Vox sound and all the modeling effects it offers.

I bought a used Fender Acoustasonic 30 for $160 shipped and it is a really nice amp. I run it directly into the board at church through the output jack and it mixes nicely in the house. It tips back to allow for an effective monitor on stage, too. Has a microphone input, as well.

Archived