Gibson Brands Forums

John Mayer: Out with Fender, In with PRS

Ryan H

Half of this story is old news, but back in October, Mayer announced via Twitter that he was no longer a Fender Artist and they wouldn't be producing his signature guitar(s) anymore. His reasoning is that "the company as it is today isn't the same one I started with".

johnmayertweet2_xwmvgg.jpg

johnmayertweet1_oalfge.jpg

There have been lots of photos floating around of him playing various PRS models after this..but just the other day (May 28th) he posted a photo on Instagram...

109d30aa6b6fb6c3fba7a47889ddc160.png

A new PRS model, with 3 Narrowfield pickups, 5 mini-toggles, a 5-way blade and 3 knobs...oh, and a 25.5" scale length..wonder what this is supposed to sound like :rolleyes:

And now, if you look on PRS's Artist page, guess who's on there..yup, Mayer's on the list. He's officially a PRS Artist now.

This is an interesting shift..I wonder how it'll affect his image. He's always been associated with a Strat.

-Ryan

It reminds me of when all the Heritage Guitars fans used to say how if Alex Skolnick played one they must be fantastic guitars, now Alex has jumped ship to ESP/LTD...

i played a heritage LP when i bought my studio pro. it was far and away the best playing, best sounding guitar i have ever held in my hands. what stopped me from buying it was the weight. unbelievably heavy, nearly 12 lbs. my studio pro comes in just under 8 lbs

Archived