Gibson Brands Forums

Lab Series L5

EvoRider

Is these amps any good? I have a chance to buy one local and it is in pretty good condition. He says it is a 1978 model low serial number. It is loaded with pyle 12 inch drivers. Are they reall made by Gibson?

I believe the Lab Series was a Bob Moog design/build.

And yes, Pyle speakers are completely wrong for a guitar amp. "musical Instrument" speakers and "hi-fi" speakers are voiced very differently.

I believe the Lab Series was a Bob Moog design/build.

And yes, Pyle speakers are completely wrong for a guitar amp. "musical Instrument" speakers and "hi-fi" speakers are voiced very differently.

I have read that pyle back in the day made Guitar amp speakers... Derek trucks was suppose to use them a while back..

• 1 year later...

I have got an L5 from 1984 to 1993 and I was very happy with it.

At that time I used only the lead channel (with the parametric eq) that was really good for warm (also if a transistor amp) and pretty clean sounds.

For the dist/crunch sounds I think it should be better to use another amp.

For a little period (some months in the 1990) I have got two Lab Series an L5 (clean sounds) and a L7 (bigger speakers - lead sounds) and I was almost satisfied; I drive the two amps with a custom switch I made by myself; but I had a lot of noise for my taste, and also the distortion sound was not wonderful!!

I don't know about the speaker you has in yours, but originally mine had two Celestion 12' and they were really good for clean sound.

For a little period (some months in the 1990) I have got two Lab Series an L5 (clean sounds) and a L7 (bigger speakers - lead sounds)

Hi, mpetri -

L5: 2x12" CTS speakers, L7: 4x10" CTS. I still have L5s and an L9, which has the stock single EVM15L. [thumbup]

Archived