Gibson Brands Forums

Can I do this to my SG?

carranoj25

Of course you can, a lot of guys use these. I'm not sure it's "Better" it's simply another (real cheap) way to secure the strap. with the cost of a USA Gibson, why not just get a proper strap lock? it's but a pittance.

on the other hand, I've got about 12 electrics, they ALL have Schaller Strap Locks.

You do have to make sure that your strap buttons are always snug on the guitar, and the strap part of the lock stays tight on your strap and the most important thing is strap lock is always situated properly on your strap, (the Schaller style strap lock forms a U shape that allows the strap pin to slide in and lock in a recess in the strap button, the bottom of the U must ALWAYS face the floor.

Do that, and they will never fail on you.

Hello!

I wouldn't rely my Gibson on a rubber ring (Grolsch lock). Dunlop Ergo locks are much better if You want to keep it cheap ($3.95).

Also, You can go with EVH's solution:

EVH_Frankenstein_5-b5a6cfabcceebc5294969210bd91df28.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Of course you can, a lot of guys use these. I'm not sure it's "Better" it's simply another (real cheap) way to secure the strap. with the cost of a USA Gibson, why not just get a proper strap lock? it's but a pittance.

on the other hand, I've got about 12 electrics, they ALL have Schaller Strap Locks.

You do have to make sure that your strap buttons are always snug on the guitar, and the strap part of the lock stays tight on your strap and the most important thing is strap lock is always situated properly on your strap, (the Schaller style strap lock forms a U shape that allows the strap pin to slide in and lock in a recess in the strap bottom, the bottom of the U must ALWAYS face the floor.

Do that, and they will never fail on you.

+1

For me only Schaller, amen brotha!

U can't fail!

Just buy a set of Dunlops. Why would anyone spend hundreds or even thousands on a guitar and then stick a rubber washer they picked out of the trash on it as a strap lock because they are too cheep to by a $20 strap lock? The beer bottle washer is just about the dumbest looking thing you can do to a guitar.

Why would anyone spend hundreds or even thousands on a guitar and then stick a rubber washer they picked out of the trash on it as a strap lock because they are too cheep to by a $20 strap lock?

he shoots,, he scorrrrrrrrrrrrrres!

I posted an appraisal on some of these strap solutions. Cant remember if it was here or on the songwriter forum.

Yes use the Grolsch washers or buy a set of 4 from Fender. Fender call them Strap Blocks. The bag has a pair of red & a pair of black ones. http://www.amazon.com/Fender-099-0819-000-Strap-Blocks-Pair/dp/B00B5LDMH6

I have them on 2 guitars. NOTE: they work perfectly but are difficult to remove, especially for me as I have arthritic thumbs. For this reason you may not want to remove them, which is ok until you need to put the guitar in its case. If its a snug fit, the strap wont fit in your case.

For that reason I only use these on guitars with cases that can accommodate the strap attached (Your nice Gibson cases wont permit this).

To criticize these because they are cheap is to miss the point. They work perfectly and are hardly noticable, and if you should notice them, they look just fine anyway.

I also have Jim Dunlop strap-locks on one guitar. Its ok but it does look a bit odd with the extra pin length. The guitar (Jackson Elite) came fitted with these from new.

There is another solution I use which is secure and allows 'easier' removal of the strap. Lock-It make inexpensive secure straps that have a spring load catch inside.

http://www.lockitstraps.com/pages/reviews

These work and are secure. USA made. I use one which I share between my Hagtrom & my Gibson.

What a great video - all DIY and everything. What a money saver. Get the drill out and go baby. Bolt that sucker down.

Better yet, get out the hammer and nails! . . [lol]

WEBB.gif. hammer-and-nails.jpg

LMFAO !!! [lol]

I use both Dunlop and Schallers...and have had both fail. The Schaller simply wore out at the button...the Dunlop was defective and failed me several times recently. I even replaced some of the parts...still inexplicably and near catastrophically, popped off while I was just standing there minding my own business.

So...I'm only going to use Schaller since by design, they won't fail so unexpectedly. In fact, if you check the buttons and nuts from time to time...you're safe. Dunlop's, on the other hand, can simply fail without any warning, particularly on a LP where the angle results in the front part of the strap constantly pulling up/out on the locking mechanism.

You know I found the Grolsch beer at the liquor store and with my guitar in mind almost bought a pack, but the beer didn't have the red rubber washer things yall talk about. As far as Schaller and Dunlop straplocks it seems like there are just too many mixed reviews about it.. Why take the chance? The video I posted looks way more secure/effective and looks like it will last longer. I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it. Doesn't look too hard at all just worried because it is my first Gibson.

You know I found the Grolsch beer at the liquor store and with my guitar in mind almost bought a pack, but the beer didn't have the red rubber washer things yall talk about. As far as Schaller and Dunlop straplocks it seems like there are just too many mixed reviews about it.. Why take the chance? The video I posted looks way more secure/effective and looks like it will last longer. I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it. Doesn't look too hard at all just worried because it is my first Gibson.

I've been using Dunlop locks on everything I have for 25 years. We're talking 2 dozen or so guitars and basses. Never have I had one fail. Why take chances with a rubber washer?

Let's face it. The only reason anyone uses these stupid things is... well... BEER! [woot] If these came off of tampon applicators no one would have ever given the thought the time of day let alone picking through the trash looking for them.

There's an amusing lack of facts in this thread.

The rubber grommets work fine. So do other more complicated mechanical strap locks. I would expect the mechanical ones to fail faster than the rubber ones, and I would expect that the mechanical ones, unlike rubber ones, wouldn't show apparent signs of deficiency before failure.

That said, I gigged for years without strap locks. I never dropped my bass at a show. I dropped it a few times at practice because the strap got twisted. I was able to stop doing that without a device. I just remembered to check my strap when I put on my bass. It's also a good idea to take off the guitar before you bend over to do some dumb unrelated task.

I'm sure there are many solutions to keeping the strap on, and I'm sure one is somehow the best. But everything I've read on the topic is just ridiculous opinions from fan boys.

edit: Fender sells their own branded rubber grommets. Just in case you can't find the proper swing-top grolesch bottles for less than this ludicrously priced listing.

There's an amusing lack of facts in this thread. .... But everything I've read on the topic is just ridiculous opinions from fan boys.

edit: Fender sells their own branded rubber grommets. Just in case you can't find the proper swing-top grolesch bottles for less than this ludicrously priced listing.

Start out with a tender flame. Spout your own personal opinions and anecdotes. Finish with a slam at the members that have commented. Then add an edit about a Fender product that's already been mentioned in comment #10.

Nice. . [lol]. [lol]. [lol]. [lol]

Then add an edit about a Fender product that's already been mentioned in comment #10.

Well Its probably because another poster chose to ignore it.

And we do know it was ignored because he thought fit to repeat the same irrational conclusion afterwards.

Grolsch Grommets are what I use. Buy beer and get straplocks. How can you lose? They hold the strap in place great.

That's what I'm talking about. Good brew and a free prize! I've got these red washers on all but one of my electrics. They're tight as ****'s hatband. Really, how many of us are jumping around enough to throw a strap? If the strap hole is that loose it might be time for a new one. Anyway I've never had a strap come off with one of these on it. My favorite part is that you don't modify the guitar at all. That's my say.

EDIT: Man, they censored my 'Richard's hatband' comment. Glad I didn't say 'tight as a ******'s *****!

Archived