Gibson Brands Forums

My BluesHawk

Mchianese

Hello,

Great to finally find a place where people know about this amazing instrument.

This is my second blueshawk; "Lady In Black". My first one was red and unfortunately was stolen along with my Chet Atkins in 2010.

I have some questions simply because this guitar seems to be an elusive one for answeres over the years, i'm not sure why that is.

I still have the stock setup and I find that there's really a substantial amount of "twang" on the high E and B strings, it just seems like the default setup needs to be tweeked. The intonation leaves a little to be desired and I know that should not be the case. Can anyone else confirm what i'm talking about? I'm nervous to take her just anywhere because unless i'm wrong this guitar may require some special knowldege and attention and I don't want someone looking at it like it's just some other guitar.

I have 10's on her, I used to use 11's but not anymore the action was too high for what she plays like and the intonation was even worse..

Any thoughts or ideas would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks, I definitely will do that first thing..Amazing I've been playing a blueshawk for a decade and haven't thought of that. Much appreciated.

Learn how to intonate it, that would be a start. It isn't too terribly hard and would go a long way to maybe making you a bit more happy with it.

rct

Hello,

Great to finally find a place where people know about this amazing instrument.

This is my second blueshawk; "Lady In Black". My first one was red and unfortunately was stolen along with my Chet Atkins in 2010.

I have some questions simply because this guitar seems to be an elusive one for answeres over the years, i'm not sure why that is.

I still have the stock setup and I find that there's really a substantial amount of "twang" on the high E and B strings, it just seems like the default setup needs to be tweeked. The intonation leaves a little to be desired and I know that should not be the case. Can anyone else confirm what i'm talking about? I'm nervous to take her just anywhere because unless i'm wrong this guitar may require some special knowldege and attention and I don't want someone looking at it like it's just some other guitar.

I have 10's on her, I used to use 11's but not anymore the action was too high for what she plays like and the intonation was even worse..

Any thoughts or ideas would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!

This seems to be a common issue with BluesHawk owners. Mine did not sing to me either until it got a good setup by a pro. After that it became my go to guitar and remains so. My advice is to look around for a good guitar tech and then talk to him about what you want out of it.

Good luck

I really was waiting to see if anyone else heard this before so I appreciate the peace of mind. I am going to do that, looking around my area now for a guitar tech whos worth it. Any word on if there are people who 'specialize' in Gibsons or Blueshawk or traits I should be looking for? Should I start with something as simple as going to a Sam Ash or G center? Or should I steer clear from chains like that?

Thanks

This seems to be a common issue with BluesHawk owners. Mine did not sing to me either until it got a good setup by a pro. After that it became my go to guitar and remains so. My advice is to look around for a good guitar tech and then talk to him about what you want out of it.

Good luck

Sam Ash and GC are fine, they generally use the local guys for whatever level of service is needed. Also spend a night out and catch a couple bands around town, ask the guitar players who they go to if they need something done. Most times you'll find they do most stuff themselves, but if they trust a guy to re-fret a guitar you can sure get a good setup from the same guy. So Sam Ash and the GC are generally using the same peoples.

rct

Welcome Mchianese

Sounds like your no newbie to the Blueshawk, They are great guitars with many great tones that can go from crisp clean to howlin growlin if you like.

I've had three Blueshawks, a Black Southern Comfort House of Blues model, a Blue one with a Black rounded nighthawk shaped neck & my current Blue one with the V Tapered neck..

First off as others have said get the guitar intonated, A guitar tuner is very helpful for this, getting your lightly fretted 12 fret note, 12th fret harmonic & open notes to be the same, If the fretted note is sharp you lengthen the string slightly & retune check again, If Flat you shorten the sting etc. This on a setup comes last after the action height is set either via the small allen screws in the bridge OR a small tweek of the truss rod nut or both to try an achieve a straight neck under tension with a slight amount of relief, If your heavy handed you'll want more relief & if you light handed & love super low action some guys prefer the neck 100 percent straight..

Also check the 6 nuts that hold the tuners into the headstock & snug them up, don't crank them down hard or you'll crack the lacquer around each post, They tend to vibrate loose over time, You issue with the "Twang" on the B & E might be able to be cured by leaving a bit extra string on those & when they are wrapped down it will cause more downward angle at the nut on those unwrapped strings, Kinda like how come a Fender has a string tree if you will.. I've seen this cure the "Twang" on several guitars, You might also lubricate each string slot in the nut with a well sharpened graphite pencil, this will help with bending & tuning stability..

I think if you either take the guitar to a tech or do the setup yourself taking time to get everything right you should be happy with the results..

I once paid for a setup etc. back in 1982 & after I saw how they were treating my guitar with drill drivers & being mean to the tuners etc. I have never paid for a setup again, Also I had a bone nut put in my Blueshawk at GC & had to take it back later as it was half done & super high action & from what I experienced wouldn't take a $50 guitar there IMO, I suppose it's up to the tech not GC.. I know a real Luthier now & only would trust him to do such work, he also makes some of the finest basses that have ever been played or heard, Alembic watch out..

My Blueshawk has a Bone Nut & Locking Grover Tuners other than that 100 percent factory other than the DiMarzio Clip Lock Strap..

Here's my two "Hawks"

2013 Nancy Wilson Fanatic Nighthawk Standard & 2006 Blueshawk

NighthawkampBlueshawk_1.jpg

That was an absolute wealth of information! Thank you so much for taking the time man, as silly as it sounds now when I look back a lot of these very straight up fundamental tweaks people do, I just didn't. But I did what you said with the string; keeping extra length on there and that definitely subtly makes a difference. I've not messed with truss rod yet and I almost want to just lightly play around with it just to see what kind of changes I can make. As far as intonation I want everything to match the open note right? So harmonic and fretted note need to match the open note? Want to make sure.

Again, thanks. This is the reason I was so glad I stumbled upon this website..

Welcome Mchianese

Sounds like your no newbie to the Blueshawk, They are great guitars with many great tones that can go from crisp clean to howlin growlin if you like.

I've had three Blueshawks, a Black Southern Comfort House of Blues model, a Blue one with a Black rounded nighthawk shaped neck & my current Blue one with the V Tapered neck..

First off as others have said get the guitar intonated, A guitar tuner is very helpful for this, getting your lightly fretted 12 fret note, 12th fret harmonic & open notes to be the same, If the fretted note is sharp you lengthen the string slightly & retune check again, If Flat you shorten the sting etc. This on a setup comes last after the action height is set either via the small allen screws in the bridge OR a small tweek of the truss rod nut or both to try an achieve a straight neck under tension with a slight amount of relief, If your heavy handed you'll want more relief & if you light handed & love super low action some guys prefer the neck 100 percent straight..

Also check the 6 nuts that hold the tuners into the headstock & snug them up, don't crank them down hard or you'll crack the lacquer around each post, They tend to vibrate loose over time, You issue with the "Twang" on the B & E might be able to be cured by leaving a bit extra string on those & when they are wrapped down it will cause more downward angle at the nut on those unwrapped strings, Kinda like how come a Fender has a string tree if you will.. I've seen this cure the "Twang" on several guitars, You might also lubricate each string slot in the nut with a well sharpened graphite pencil, this will help with bending & tuning stability..

I think if you either take the guitar to a tech or do the setup yourself taking time to get everything right you should be happy with the results..

I once paid for a setup etc. back in 1982 & after I saw how they were treating my guitar with drill drivers & being mean to the tuners etc. I have never paid for a setup again, Also I had a bone nut put in my Blueshawk at GC & had to take it back later as it was half done & super high action & from what I experienced wouldn't take a $50 guitar there IMO, I suppose it's up to the tech not GC.. I know a real Luthier now & only would trust him to do such work, he also makes some of the finest basses that have ever been played or heard, Alembic watch out..

My Blueshawk has a Bone Nut & Locking Grover Tuners other than that 100 percent factory other than the DiMarzio Clip Lock Strap..

Here's my two "Hawks"

2013 Nancy Wilson Fanatic Nighthawk Standard & 2006 Blueshawk

NighthawkampBlueshawk_1.jpg

Oh, absolute beauties by the way..

I have yet to play a NightHawk and this one just seals the deal, I need to play it. Such an elegant yet badass guitar

That was an absolute wealth of information! Thank you so much for taking the time man, as silly as it sounds now when I look back a lot of these very straight up fundamental tweaks people do, I just didn't. But I did what you said with the string; keeping extra length on there and that definitely subtly makes a difference. I've not messed with truss rod yet and I almost want to just lightly play around with it just to see what kind of changes I can make. As far as intonation I want everything to match the open note right? So harmonic and fretted note need to match the open note? Want to make sure.

Again, thanks. This is the reason I was so glad I stumbled upon this website..

Your spot on with the intonation, With the string tuned to pitch the harmonic & fretted note should match, also while changing the length of the string detune the string , use proper fitting screwdriver, you don't wanna strip the head of the screw, I have a long thin phillips that I've put blue masking tape over the shaft just in case I slip or it touches the body, the long length clears the body, you can't be too carefull, You might also cover the body with a rag/towel just to keep any scratches/gouges from happening..Go easy & slow, It won't be too far off, string gauge change will always require a small adjustment of intonation..

If there's any corrosion on the saddle or screw a small drop of fine oil can help, I'm talking a micro drop on the threads at the saddle, clean up with a q-tip.. Lightweight oil is best, 3 in 1 or fine gun oil like Remoil, even wd-40 but don't spray it, ease a drop from a toothpick etc.

As far as truss rod adjustment, if you capo the strings at the 1st fret & fret the string where it meets the body, the string being straight will be farthest away from the 7th-9th fret, this where you measure the relief, If you want less relief, tighten the truss rod nut ever so slightly, if you want more relief loosen the nut just a smidge, also make a mark on the nuts top with a fine marker before you start so you'll know where you started at.. that way you can always go back to where it was at if need so be..

You should also note that a lot of times it take several hours to overnight for the neck to completely settle after an adjustment..

I like to put a mini drop of oil on the truss rod nuts threads, On a gibson the nut is brass but I still lubricate it..

I'm telling you that a finely sharpened #2 pencil rubbed into the slots, so you can't even see it on a white nut will improve tuning & stability, The graphite lubricates the slot, I know they sell "Nut Sauce" but I have never used it or had the need too..

Before long you'll never pay anyone to setup your guitars & you'll also get the pride of doing yourself plus know it was done right..

I love getting my strings wrapped just perfect & as said earlier on, sometimes just a few extra winds is all it takes to make the difference between perfect & not.. We've all seen guitars that look like they were strung up by someone who didn't care or had thirty wraps all the way up & down the tuners shaft, I also prefer to snip my strings leaving 2-3mms hanging out with a nice pair of wire cutters, I can't stand to see strings just hanging loose or rolled up like that's cool or something..

" I am Not a Luthier & Never Claimed to be "

Archived