Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Just picked up this IB1964 at Guitar Center for $120.00 off regular price. I was considering an AJ45ME, but I wasn't impressed with the YouTube video, and wanted to find one to play first. I ran across this fantastic deal and couldn't pass it up.Great sound and action, at less than half the cost.post-22061-086961900 1433640536_thumb.jpg

Congratulations! The Texan is a great guitar..you got a great guitar at a great price. And the beautiful gloss finish on your Texan will certainly outshine the matte finish on the Masterbilt AJ45ME. And it will play just as well if not better. Good luck with it!

...I ran across this fantastic deal and couldn't pass it up....

It's contagious! I just put in a lowball bid on a near new IB64 Texan on ebay and came away with it for 200 bucks. What a deal! Can't wait for arrival....

It's contagious! I just put in a lowball bid on a near new IB64 Texan on ebay and came away with it for 200 bucks. What a deal! Can't wait for arrival....

Awesome! Make sure you get it set up and do consider a full fret dressing, too...I loved mine before, but since the fret dressing (and the low, low, LOW, action that came with it), it is a whole new ballgame with this guitar!

Awesome!

I figured you'd have a favorable remark. :)

Make sure you get it set up and do consider a full fret dressing, too...I loved mine before, but since the fret dressing (and the low, low, LOW, action that came with it), it is a whole new ballgame with this guitar!

Right. The guy said he bought it two months ago, and I doubt it's been set up. For the price I paid for it, I can afford to put some more into it. I might even swap the pick guard for one of those cool looking vintage Gibbie guards with points. B)

That's a great deal Cougar - well done and good luck with the new guitar - I have to say I love the colours that the Texan comes in and both the cherryburst and antique natural are gorgeous.

Just picked up this IB1964 at Guitar Center for $120.00 off regular price. I was considering an AJ45ME, but I wasn't impressed with the YouTube video, and wanted to find one to play first. I ran across this fantastic deal and couldn't pass it up.Great sound and action, at less than half the cost.post-22061-086961900 1433640536_thumb.jpg

Great deal Bubba - well done [thumbup]

I might even swap the pick guard for one of those cool looking vintage Gibbie guards with points. B)

I considered switching out for a Gibson teardrop one to make it look like a J-50, but I decided against changing the pickguard, because the original Texan is an iconic guitar and the IB64 looks exactly like it.

Let us know what you think of it once you get it properly setup!

I considered switching out for a Gibson teardrop one to make it look like a J-50, but I decided against changing the pickguard, because the original Texan is an iconic guitar and the IB64 looks exactly like it.

Let us know what you think of it once you get it properly setup!

I have to agree with Ciff. I used to change pickguards at the drop of a hat but not on the Texan - noo noo noo - it looks just right as it is - leave it alone [crying]

....I decided against changing the pickguard, because the original Texan is an iconic guitar and the IB64 looks exactly like it.

I see what you mean. Here is an actual 1964 Epiphone FT-79 Texan currently up on Reverb. He's asking 26 times what I paid for the reissue, which is looking pretty darn solid at the moment. B)

64Texan.jpg

I see what you mean. Here is an actual 1964 Epiphone FT-79 Texan currently up on Reverb. He's asking 26 times what I paid for the reissue, which is looking pretty darn solid at the moment. B)

The original Texans are collectors items. They're not 26 times the price better than the current IB64 models. They're also not as comfortable to play since they have the 60's era uber-skinny necks. I would take mine over a vintage one every day of the week.

The original Texans are collectors items. They're not 26 times the price better than the current IB64 models. They're also not as comfortable to play since they have the 60's era uber-skinny necks. I would take mine over a vintage one every day of the week.

Ditto :rolleyes:msp_confused.gifmsp_rolleyes.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_unsure.gifmsp_scared.gifmsp_blink.gifmsp_crying.gif

I'm going slowly mad :rolleyes:

Archived