Gibson Brands Forums

SG vs. Les Paul

Diane Lynn

Diane,

I've owned more than one of each of the models you're considering and there truly is quite a bit of difference. I'm just going to give you some of the differences "in my opinion". I'm sure there are differing opinions out there.

Where the Les Paul body can be very heavy the SG body is so light you experience "neck drop" if you don't support the neck with your fretting hand.

Les Paul necks, even the '60's slim contour, feel thicker than the neck of an SG.

SG's are solid mahogany and "double cut" where Les Pauls are "single cut", mahogany bodied with a maple top. Because of these design differences Les Pauls, on average, offer more sustain, thicker mids and a sweeter top end. SGs usually offer a faster playing neck, a tighter bass, less mids, (this can actually work in favor of a lead solo), and tend to cut through the mix a little better.

Each model has a very strong base of supporters and rightly so. While each are quite different in tone, neck feel, body weight and body shape they're both well constructed and share multiple other features as in their tuners, bridges, tail pieces, angled neck pocket, electronics, etc.

The SG tends more to late '60s / '70's Classic Rock as used by Eric Clapton, (both with Cream and afterwards starting his solo career). Also Frank Marino with Mahogany Rush, the original Alice Cooper guitarists and Frank Zappa used SGs almost exclusively.

The Les Paul probably fits the bill in a much wider range of musical styles. It's been used superbly as a guitar for Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, modern Rock, Fusion, Vintage Metal, etc. The Les Paul, because of it's mid range, has more in common with the human singing voice. For a singer songwriter's use it's just a beautiful thing. Then again, when used alongside multiple instruments or multiple voices the Les Paul can sometimes become part of the woodwork. It doesn't have the SGs ability to cut through the mix and stand out front and center in the same manner as an SG. This has to do with the SG having less mids as mentioned earlier.

Still ..... Just as an example of how many players confuse the two models ....... I've heard many many people say you should buy a Les Paul if you want to get Eric Clapton's "Woman" tone. Eric's "Woman" tone was actually a product of his SG combined with a Marshall amp. Both pickups volume full on with the neck pickups tone control wide open and the bridge pickups tone control rolled way back. The book "Cream" by Chris Welch contains much of this information as well as some of the other fine points of Cream's tone, etc.

I'm very new here and don't know your taste in music or musical styles. I don't know your preference in neck shape, body weight, overall balance of an instrument, or required tonality for your preferred use. I can say with certainty the both the Les Paul and SG have their die hard fans who would fight to the grave to stand up for their chosen one. When choosing between the two quality won't be an issue. Both are Excellent yet they're quite different from one another.

I hope I haven't confused the issue. Either choice you make will result in a fine guitar. It's more about which one better fits your needs.

In the interest of fairness I should say that the first Gibson guitar in my life was my uncle's Les Paul. The first Gibson I chose for myself was an SG. Today I own a Les Paul and a CS-336 and continue to look out for an SG that might catch my fancy.

arlum

It must be noted, any kind of music can be played on any guitar, and any guitar is suited to any kind of music. Is a Jackson Dinky my favorite choice for a jazz guitar? No, but if you can play, you can play on any guitar and make it your own.

Howard Roberts played a LOT of jazz on a Telecaster. Sister Rosetta Tharp played blues and gospel on a white SG Custom. My pal Jesse Harris played trad country on a Les Paul, tonight in Austin.

If you're doing it right, you find a guitar that speaks to you, and you just go make music. If you're real, the gear doesn't matter as long as it gives you the sound you want and plays the way you like. Without us, all the gear in the world is just furniture, anyway.

First of all, I have to say that I do have an SG Standard with P90s (2012) with a round profile and also a Les Paul Studio (2012) with a 60s neck. For the ease of playability (upper fret acces, weight) - the SG, as you already know, is awesome. My SG's neck is thicker than my Les Paul Studio's 60's neck profile, and it feels more comfortable for me. I really compared the two necks side by side and it is for sure thicker.

As of the Les Paul, I have the impression that it somehow has a rounder sound and also, like Arlum said, it definitly does have more sustain, because of the construction. The Les Paul will take a bit of getting used to if you want to rock the upper frets, because it is a singlecut model, but I love it. Also, depending on the model, they have different weights. There are, as far as I know, three methods that Gibson uses in order to achieve this weight relief: chambering, traditional weight relief (Classic) and modern weight relief (Studio, Standard). There are some Les Paul models, like the custom shops/VOS and the Les Paul Traditional that have no weight relief.

This being said, I couldn't live without any of those two. They are different and they both have their unique range of sounds that you can get. You should go into a music store and check some Les Pauls and some SGs and see what feels more comfortable to you and also what sound you like more.

PS: I know that this picture has been posted here a couple of times [biggrin]

post-65580-028054200 1433678808_thumb.jpg

Guitar geeks like us can hear a temperature difference in the room, lol.... but to the average listener....not much difference in the sound at all. I own both and think the LP has a rounder sound as someone else said, but my SG can certainly hold it's own. Either is a killer guitar for all styles and sonic textures.

I use to have a LP Studio, US Fender Start, a Black Ice Man, and Gibson EB bass. I had to liquidate due, last year, due to needing cash, and am now looking for replacements. I am playing bass mostly, because it builds up strength in my fingers. The price of the SG is a advantage. 2014 SG Standard for $1100.

Hi Diane

having two les paul standards and one SG with humbuckers (my second SG has P90s so that's not a fair compare) I can tell you my humble opinion is that with same pickups in one of my LP STDs (490R / 498T) the SG is darker, with a more focused mid range throat, where as the les paul does have a wider more complex tonal pallet to my ears (some would maybe disagree with this, but I hear it that way)

Not to say the SG doesn't sound great because it most certainly does. The upper fret access and lighter weight on your shoulders are clear advantages.

My SG Stadnard is like 7~7.5 lbs, where as my LP is closer to 10 lbs without the recent bigsby/vibrate add on I did which probably added another lb.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO,,Lp's have more low end,and midrange tonal qualities,,a heavier dense body,,the SG has more of as midrange/highend tonal qualitys,,but IMO,,I can play an SG twice as fast as a LP,,why? I think the neck shape + size has something to do with it. I use both,depending on what songs Im doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much about neck dive on an SG as this can be avoided with a thick suede or thick leather strap. Use a seat belt style strap and you've had it.

I have an SG Special Faded with 490R and 490T pickups with the '50s rounded rear neck profile. My LP is the Studio '50s Tribute HB with 490R/498T pickups (a hotter, creamier bridge pickup). My LP neck feels fatter in the palm even though it also has the '50s profile. I don't know whether that's due to the slight variability you can get in neck profiles or a psychological effect due to the lighter, double cutaway SG being a faster player.

The SG does cut through, definitely having that top end bite, but I also find the fact the my LP being fully chambered gives it SG style bite too. The maple cap adds to this effect no doubt.

If I could keep only one it would be tough to choose but I think the SG would shade it because it's such a good player.

I wouldn't worry too much about neck dive on an SG as this can be avoided with a thick suede or thick leather strap. Use a seat belt style strap and you've had it.

I use a suede-backed Moody-Leather strap, no neck dive at all. All that's needed is a little friction.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone has different playing styles. Which one speaks to you? I own a few different gibsons and honestly they all sound like gibsons. I actually own a few good les Pauls and I used my SG special for our whole album. Love that thing. like said up top, it cuts through a bit better maybe. I'd say more focused. Live I play the les Pauls. Studio- it's been an SG. My drummer complimented the "les paul tone" on a song we recorded as I'm known for playing a les paul 100% of the time, and I had to break his heart. They both have their place. Try em both. Here's a for instance-

I wanted a Tele- felt I had to buy a strat

Wanted a es339- felt I needed a les paul

Didn't go with my gut, playing these an now I own 2 teles and a 335. My best advise. Go with your gut, Brotha.

Archived