Gibson Brands Forums

case for a 1918 L1

Pete M

Hi, I recently aquired an amazing 1918 L-1 archtop. I am loving it, it has great tone and it plays like a dream. I would love to get a proper fitting case, though. It came with a Hiscox STD-CL, which is fairly close, but it is not an exact fit. The guitar slides around side to side a lot, and when the case closes it puts pressure on the neck up by the headstock.

Does anyone make cases that exactly fit this instrument? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Many case mfg's (Cedar Creek div of TKL, Calton, Hoffee, etc, etc) will make custom cases to fit any instrument, but.... be prepared to pay for the service. A custom "custom" case will run you anywhere from $600-$1200.

If it were my guitar, I would first try to locate a good solid case of the same vintage as the guitar. It might be somewhat difficult, I don't know, but that's where I would start. Contact some vintage dealers, and if they don't have anything, they might be able to educate you about what to search for specifically.

I just went though this same quest three months ago. I have repaired a 1914 L-1 archtop for a customer, and searched for a replacement case. I ended up ordering a custom case from Armitage, cost about $300. It's a long process(the case should arrive in about two more weeks). There is a detailed form to fill out on the Armitage site, and the cost may be more for someone not in the trade. Good luck with your search!

Archived