Gibson Brands Forums

I wasn't in the market for an IB 64 Texan, but....

Cougar

...but for 200 bucks for a near new 2014, I'll gladly add her to the stable.

There were 40 bids. I bid once with 5 seconds left. Another guy bid just once with 5 seconds left. I out-sniped him by 34 cents. [flapper] (I hope I'm not gloating to the detriment of somebody here!) Cherry burst. Not my favorite finish, but maybe it'll grow on me. Seller has 675 transactions with 100% feedback, so I don't think he'll be backing out of the deal like the last guy. A Texan! I'm ready to do some hard strummin'. B)

...but for 200 bucks for a near new 2014, I'll gladly add her to the stable.

There were 40 bids. I bid once with 5 seconds left. Another guy bid just once with 5 seconds left. I out-sniped him by 34 cents. [flapper] (I hope I'm not gloating to the detriment of somebody here!) Cherry burst. Not my favorite finish, but maybe it'll grow on me. Seller has 675 transactions with 100% feedback, so I don't think he'll be backing out of the deal like the last guy. A Texan! I'm ready to do some hard strummin'. B)

Congrats Cougar - I have a Cherry Burst and I much prefer the Gibson style burst (rather than the edge only like this) but it has grown on me and now I think it looks really good, more like iced tea. As for stummin' - this is the machine [thumbup]

Man ain't getting new gear great lol

It certainly is. Especially when it's at a great price! 200 bucks for a Texan is crazy good.

Edit :almost forgot ..... Audio please 😃🎸

Those smileys don't work, but I can imagine, lol.

Congrats Cougar - I have a Cherry Burst and I much prefer the Gibson style burst (rather than the edge only like this)...

Exactly. Still, I think I can live with it just fine, especially since it's ALL GLOSS. [smile]

As for stummin' - this is the machine [thumbup]

Yep, the one I tried at GC some time ago sure was. Since I've been playing more, and more consistently, I find my fat left-hand fingers seem to be "sharpening up" a bit (not to mention developing some callouses), and the narrow 1.68" nut doesn't bother me so much anymore. I'm getting good! (relatively speaking, of course. :rolleyes: )

The Nanoflex is worth that much on its own. To think you've got a fine guitar around it is extra special.

I remain convinced the IB'64 Texans are some of the best guitars out there for the money, by any builder. Got mine in 2010 and it has turned into a darn fine instrument, and it started out pretty nice.

Congratulations on your score!

The Nanoflex is worth that much on its own. To think you've got a fine guitar around it is extra special.

That's about the size of it! It's the feeling of getting WAY more than what one would expect. Of course, the IB64 has been doing that for some time even at full price. It's like somebody at Epiphone made a pricing mistake.

I remain convinced the IB'64 Texans are some of the best guitars out there for the money, by any builder. Got mine in 2010 and it has turned into a darn fine instrument, and it started out pretty nice.

Thanks for the input, dhanners. I just noticed an actual 1964 Epiphone FT-79 Texan on Reverb. The reissue looks darn close, I'm happy to say. He's asking 26 times what I paid for my reissue!

64Texan.jpg

It certainly is. Especially when it's at a great price! 200 bucks for a Texan is crazy good.

Those smileys don't work, but I can imagine, lol.

Come on fat fingers you know how hard it is me tap those emotes with my sexy fingers lmao

It is pretty .

Cougar...post the listing photo of the one you bought. Did the seller list as mint?

It was listed as "bought new two months ago, played very little."

More people need to realize how amazing these guitars are. Or not...I don't really mind them being our little secret.

Heh, true. But I think the location of this primo fishing hole is already on the map.

Here's a couple listing photos: (1) the only full frontal pic, (2) I like the toned down colors, yet shiny! 8-[

tex001c.jpg

tex002c.jpg

It was listed as "bought new two months ago, played very little."

Heh, true. But I think the location of this primo fishing hole is already on the map.

Here's a couple listing photos: (1) the only full frontal pic, (2) I like the toned down colors, yet shiny! 8-[

tex001c.jpg

tex002c.jpg

Looks in great condition, think you have a keeper. Congrats!

That's freaking gorgeous. At the price you got it you can easily afford a set up, fret dressing AND a case! Way to go!!!!!

Thanks, Cliff. Yeah, it'll probably need a set up, maybe dress the frets, but I'll definitely need a case. Any case that fits a dread or jumbo?

Thanks, Cliff. Yeah, it'll probably need a set up, maybe dress the frets, but I'll definitely need a case. Any case that fits a dread or jumbo?

Yep...here's the case I got for my Texan:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner-RRMADN-ABS-Molded-Acoustic-Dreadnought-Guitar-Case-106070238-i1668700.gc

But the case I got for my AJ-220S works just fine, too (I tested it right now to make sure). Here's that one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner-RRDWA-Deluxe-Wood-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Case-106070121-i1668702.gc

The Nanoflex system goes for $225 on Amazon. So either you got a good deal on a fine pickup with a free guitar attached, or a fine deal on a great guitar with a free pickup....

After having spent a king's ransom to have my Texan shipped to me in Kuwait, all I can say is, I'm glad I did. Mind you, I wasn't hurting for good guitars -- I have my Schwab (a handbuilt D-18 clone built by Kevin Schwab of Hoffman Guitars in Minneapolis) and my Hot Rod Steel "Old Skool 12" resophonic. But I found I was really missing that slope-shoulder sound, as well as the ability to plug in and get a great sound. (I've found over here that most places expect you to plug in, largely because a) instrument mics are few and far between and B) most sound guys don't know how to mic acoustic guitars.)

Anyway, it hasn't been a disappointment and my Texan is adjusting to the climate. You really have to stay on top of guitar hydration over here, although most of the locals I know who play guitar look at you strangely if you humidify your guitar.

After having spent a king's ransom to have my Texan shipped to me in Kuwait, all I can say is, I'm glad I did....

Oh, that's right - you're in freakin' Kuwait! That's got to be a trip. I lived in Kenya for 2 years. That was a trip. [biggrin]

....my Texan is adjusting to the climate. You really have to stay on top of guitar hydration over here...

Haha, I imagine so! It gets pretty dry here in the Wild West too. Currently 20%. Guitars are 45% in their cases.

Our current temp at 6:50 p.m. is 111 degrees and the humidity is 4 (as in FOUR) percent. So, yeah, I check all three guitars every day.

I humidify the Texan with a Kyser soundhole humidifier. With the Nanoflex installed, you have to cut off one of the inner "wings" on the humidifier to get it to fit in the soundhole. I also have a soapdish humidifier with a sponge in the case under the headstock.

Just received this baby. First check: any cracks in neck? Nope. There's not a mark on this guitar. It looks brand new. The burst looks less bright than in that frontal pic. I'm liking it! Gorgeous guitar! OK, gotta go back to work....

It's a crying shame they couldn't make the AJ45 half that nice.

..Oh my, how true that is! What a beautiful Texan..the burst is just stunning! And I think it looks even better without the E on the pick guard! .....Congradulations to Cougar! That is a definate hit!

Considering how nice this looks in gloss, and how great these play by all accounts, I could easily see getting the Texan over the AJ45ME....and even new without a good deal, the Texan is hundreds of dollars less! Who knows?..I may end up with a TEXAN!!!

..Oh my, how true that is! What a beautiful Texan..the burst is just stunning! And I think it looks even better without the E on the pick guard! .....Congradulations to Cougar! That is a definate hit!

Considering how nice this looks in gloss, and how great these play by all accounts, I could easily see getting the Texan over the AJ45ME....and even new without a good deal, the Texan is hundreds of dollars less! Who knows?..I may end up with a TEXAN!!!

Do it, GL!

What a beautiful Texan..the burst is just stunning!

I did not like it much in the photos. It looked too red, too yellow. When I finally got her out of the packing, it was immediate WOW. It's not red, it's dark luscious red. It's not yellow, it's headed toward a nice aged brownish yellow. It's really stunning. I was surprised.

I looked her over again. Like brand new. Obviously a return for whatever reason. Maybe somebody decided on the AJ45ME instead. [smile]

Tuned up her factory strings. She can put out some big, full tones. New strings will help, but I gotta say, the non-cutaway Masterbilts are fairly noticeably bigger and fuller, especially the 12-fret RC, which has just got humongo tone that fills a room. Still, this is a precision instrument, a replica of the guitar McCartney and numerous others used in their notable careers. And she plugs in.... [woot]

The undersaddle passive just requires a little more juice from the amp, then she's all there and sounds great on my 'boutique' amp model. Oh, no question this guitar's a keeper. [thumbup]

I did not like it much in the photos. It looked too red, too yellow. When I finally got her out of the packing, it was immediate WOW. It's not red, it's dark luscious red. It's not yellow, it's headed toward a nice aged brownish yellow. It's really stunning. I was surprised.

I looked her over again. Like brand new. Obviously a return for whatever reason. Maybe somebody decided on the AJ45ME instead. [smile]

Tuned up her factory strings. She can put out some big, full tones. New strings will help, but I gotta say, the non-cutaway Masterbilts are fairly noticeably bigger and fuller, especially the 12-fret RC, which has just got humongo tone that fills a room. Still, this is a precision instrument, a replica of the guitar McCartney and numerous others used in their notable careers. And she plugs in.... [woot]

The undersaddle passive just requires a little more juice from the amp, then she's all there and sounds great on my 'boutique' amp model. Oh, no question this guitar's a keeper. [thumbup]

...Oh God, between you and Cliff and that beautiful Texan....I'm getting GAS! ..that burst is just awesome!

Archived