Gibson Brands Forums

Montana fun

Hogeye

This is the weather report for the Bozeman area for all the folks coming out for the "Homecoming".

It will be in the 80's tomorrow (Tuesday) for the folks coming in early to get first dibs on the Music Villa inventory. Clear and sunny. Bring lots of sunscreen and your favorite shorts. It's in the high 40's at night so it's great sleeping weather.

All the bears have been rounded up and shuffled of to the deep forest so you will be just fine. Be extra careful in Yellowstone Park as the Bison seem to be a little cranky this Spring. They have hospitalized two tourists so far this year. Or as we put it Bison 2 tourists 0.

We are excited as Mike and Jack will be in on Tuesday and we are having dinner at Ted's Grill. Yahoo! Travel safe and hope to see you soon.

Hogeye

Lawn is mowed, now to ready for the trip. Credit Card, Toothbrush and 3 guitars. No trade bait this time, gonna try and control myself this year, especially in the "high-end" room in the back Will bring my J-50 and try and get a second opinion from Ren. Wish me luck crossing Wyoming.

Be extra careful in Yellowstone Park as the Bison seem to be a little cranky this Spring. They have hospitalized two tourists so far this year. Or as we put it Bison 2 tourists 0.

Hogeye

A number of years ago, we were at one of the geyser basins in Yellowstone NP and saw some tourist not only confront a bison that was inconsiderately standing on the wooden boardwalk -- blocking the way -- but actually bop the thing on the head with their camera!!

Unbelievable!!

A Darwin Awards finalist, to be sure.

Hope y'all have a good time, and I'm sure the plant can keep MV well stocked!!

Fred

I Want to take a moment to remember Bob R,

Peace and Love

JC

We will remember him for sure. This "Homecoming" is dedicated to our friend Bob.

The first time I met Bob was during the very first "Homecoming". That was 10 years ago. He is missed and he is remembered. There will be songs played in his memory.I will bring my Ray Whitley as he always liked it.

Hey hogeye! Had dinner at Ted's too tonight. Must have just missed you. We hung around for a bit after and listened to Jeremy Morton play at the pub off the lobby. He sounds good. See you around soon

Anne

Hey hogeye! Had dinner at Ted's too tonight. Must have just missed you. We hung around for a bit after and listened to Jeremy Morton play at the pub off the lobby. He sounds good. See you around soon

Anne

We will catch up tonight(wed) at your meet and greet.

We had a nice dinner in the bar and left a bit early as Mike was a bit tired.

Lots of folks came in early. Jack got here on Monday as is busy doing the tourist thing. He went to Virginia City yesterday and met us at Ted's when he got back.

The pub is a great place to have a drink and listen to some good local music. I'm sorry we missed Jeremy. I always enjoy his good work.

Went to the "meet and greet" last night in AMP's room. There were a lot of folks. It was fun to see old friends and new people as well.

Ren and his lovely wife were there and they look amazing. Ren looked more relaxed and fit than I have seen him in years. He is spending most of his time in California. They have a condo just a short walk from the beach and really enjoyed the Winter. They have their home here as well and come back when things get too busy. He is traveling a lot, buying wood all over the world. He says it's his favorite part of the job.

Val Bolitho and her hubby Dennis were there as well. She retired a couple of months ago. She looks great. She is finally getting some rest and catching up on a lot of her other interests. Dennis is a very talented guy and has agreed to do the interior on my '56 Buick. I told him I would trade him a guitar for the work. He laughed his amazing laugh and said money would be just fine.

Several of the early arrivals spent the day in Yellowstone enjoying the countryside. Lots to do and see and they are taking advantage of the whole stay.

The weather is cooperating and the fun is starting today (Thursday). Lots of good things for the folks to do and maybe they will get some questions answered at their meeting with the Gibson folks.

This year is Kevin Kopp's ten year anniversary in his shop and he has shipped some wonderful Brazilian pieces to celebrate but says he will have some fun stuff for the folks to see. He has a great shop and loves to give the folks the tour. If I ever get around to selling some of my stuff the proceeds will go to him. I want one of his guitars. Maybe a 12th fret "Trail Boss".

It's a bit odd as Guitarlight posted he was coming on the "Homecoming" website. No one has seen or heard from him yet. We were sure he would be at the "Meet and Greet"last night.Hmmm.

Sounds like a great weekend is shaping up. Wish I was there. I went to a homecoming a few years ago and would love to go back again. Beautiful country and the homecoming is a great reason to make the cross-country trip.

Maybe next year. Have fun and give everybody a hug for me!

What is The Homecoming?

When I lived in Livingston we called the summer tourist season in YSN the season of "Stupid Tourist Tricks" ;-)

The "Homecoming" is an event put on by Music Villa and Gibson/Montana. It's a fun event for the folks that post on this forum. There are tours of Gibson as well as Waverly, Kevin Kopp's shop, and also Dan Roberts shop.

They have a meeting room at the Grantree hotel where folks get together after the day winds down and everyone just sits around and they have an open mike and a big jam 'til the wee morning hours. I'm not sure but I have heard that there might even be a little drinking going on as well. Lots of old friends just getting together. We all play each others guitars and there is every Gibson model to sample. The star last night was John G's 12 string Hummingbird. He got it at Music Villa a year or so ago. The guitar is a wonderful Cherry burst like a Hummingbird is supposed to be and it sounds like heaven. Dave from Salt Lake has an amazing '42/'45 that came from John Thomas' build. This is a very fine guitar. I had a chance to see but not visit with Anne P. from California. I understand she has several of her late husbands guitars available. RAR was his screen name here and his name is Bob R. He had an amazing collection of only the finest Gibsons. It would be an honor and privilege to own one of his collection.

Most of the people spend the week touring the fun spots like Yellowstone, Virginia City and Livingston. The people come from all over the country and many have attended all ten years this has been going on.

I have a home in Livingston. East Callender and "I" street. I know most of the locals so maybe I know your family and friends. It's a great little town with an amazing collection of odd characters.

Here is a pic of that '42 J-45 reissue wonderful sound - biggest neck I have ever seen, even bigger than my Legend. What a treet. Anne brought along RAR's '44 J45. Guitar is an extraordinarily great condition. Is easily the best guitar I have ever heard. If you have the Klamazoo Gals companion CD, this guitar is used on the track - Home On the Range.

image.jpg1_zpszyelzlpj.jpg

What a great plant tour ! Seeing all these people, and all the steps and materials really gives an apprecition of the legacy building that goes into these fine instruments. The music get togethers are a blast, the Music Villa inventory, staff, and prticipation is all outstnding. Gotta go play. See Ya.

image.jpg2_zpstrzatqhy.jpg

What a great plant tour ! Seeing all these people, and all the steps and materials really gives an apprecition of the legacy building that goes into these fine instruments. The music get togethers are a blast, the Music Villa inventory, staff, and prticipation is all outstnding. Gotta go play. See Ya.

Always a fun time!

Here's a few pics from the 2011 HC.

IMGP6172.jpg

Even the bathrooms are sunburst:

IMGP6106.jpg

The rejects:

IMG_4235.jpg

Headstocks:

IMGP6151.jpg

And one from the first HC, in 2006:

IMGP7495.jpg

Fred

Nice. Dan, I take it that is the '44 J-45 of Bob's (RAR) in the first photo? Your second pic really puts a face on the people who build these guitars, and you've captured a beautiful smile, there.

Fred- thanks for passing along a great idea for my front door. Now; what era sunburst to use? And do you recall what guitar the 30's logo (upper left in headstocks pic) went to? Interesting inlay.

Archived