Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard Material

Hi

Can you guys tell me what material was used for this fretboard? Rosewood, maple, mahogany?

My first thought is none of the above. It sort of resembles rosewood, but if so, it's a variation I'm less familiar with. I'd say probably not any variety of mahogany either, and definitely not maple.

What kind of guitar is that? (and what model?)

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

That is baked maple. It is a bit more figured than usual, though.

Rosewood/granadillo has pores. Baked maple has similiar very smooth surface to ebony, with caramel-like color.

HPIM4318_zps17ef7e0f.jpg

Cheers... Bence

2012 would be the right year for baked maple fretboards, that's when many Gibson's were produced with baked maple (thanks to the Feds raiding the Gibson Factory and removing all rosewood. !nice!--)

lots of people freaked out about maple vs. rosewood,

I bought a 2012 SG Standard and found it to be quite a nice alternative to Rosewood.

My 2015 Gibson ES-339 Studio fingerboard is 'torrified maple' (also spelt torrefied)

Some people make a distinction between torrified and baked, but the point is that they are both heat treated.

I said elsewhere on this forum that I was not sure whether the baking was to colour the wood or to reduce absorption. I think it is mainly to make it more stable.

We all know wood will absorb and release moisture, but with maple this has (apparently) given rise to problems.

Fender overcame this by a heavy clear varnish on their maple necks. I had one, and never broke through that lacquer in 25 years of playing.

Gibson have used heat treatment to address the issue. As I understand it (I'm recalling from memory), there are 3 stages:

1/ Primary heating: Long & slow baking to equalise the wood. In metallics it called stress relief; it allows the material to move or warp the way it wants to.

2/ Secondary heating: higher temperature baking. This colours the wood and removes virtually all moisture from it. It also makes it more resistant to decay.

3/ Cooling and controlled re-hydration: Adds about 5% moisture back into the wood, restoring flexibility and workability.

This method means that the maple can be used without a heavy coat of lacquer.

One of the reasons I choose my guitar was because of this fingerboard wood. I hope it will cope better with my rather aggressive technique.

Other woods species that are sometimes torrified include cherry, ash, oak, poplar and aspen.

Just a couple hours ago watch the Bearded dude from Acoustic letter speaking to " Torrefication " ( my Word ) in the industry today.

How the Baking process hardens / crystalizes at the cellular level each individual cell..

This imparts a sound which before was only gotten from the natural aging effects.

I shall parrott and say that the board is a maple as well. I base my GUESS on the large longitudinal grain.

X

Archived