Gibson Brands Forums

J-15? My possible first acoustic / Your Input Please

Jimmy 3

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are well.

At age 50, I've been playing for 2.5 years and have two electrics that I live very much (BC Rich CJ Pierce ProX Eagle signature model and an Ibanez SZ520 QM) I want to purchase my first acoustic. I'm about 5' 7" w/avg size hands. I'm a huge Tom Keifer/Cinderella fan, as well as a fan of John Corabi . . . both have their harder side but do some great acoustic/unplugged stuff. Here's a few links to some songs I like from them with acoustics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnoZbNw7EWo

In doing research and playing various instruments, I came across a used J-15 that is in excellent condition for about $1,000. I was hoping you could share if this would suit my musical tastes, if this is a good price and what you think of this instrument. I know it's a little different than the J-45 that has the typical Spruce/Hog combo . . . believe this is spruce/walnut. What does Walnut as a tone wood do that's different from the J-45?

Thanks so much in advance for your response. My apologies about all the details but thought this would help.

Best Regards,

Jimmy

Wow, what a timely thread. I was just playing my J-15 after a almost a two month break. Been playing my new Southern Jumbo Special(12 fret).

I was just thinking how great that J-15 sounds. I'm 6'2", the guitar gits me like a glove.

I was really digging in on some bluesy riffs and firm strumming, man, it sounded really good. This J-15 seems to have good balance and plenty of growl when you need.

Still loving my J-15, it's a keeper for sure!

I just turned 50 also.

If it is in good shape, $1000 is a fabulous deal.

Wow, what a timely thread. I was just playing my J-15 after a almost a two month break. Been playing my new Southern Jumbo Special(12 fret).

I was just thinking how great that J-15 sounds. I'm 6'2", the guitar gits me like a glove.

I was really digging in on some bluesy riffs and firm strumming, man, it sounded really good. This J-15 seems to have good balance and plenty of growl when you need.

I just turned 50 also.

Hey Happy B-day!!! Thank you very much for the feedback. Any comments about the tone of the J-15 given the walnut and how it would fit my frame? Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

Depends on where you are as to whether it is a fabulous deal. In the States, J-15s were just going for about $1250 new at GC (and you could probably get a bit more off too if you haggled).

If you're stateside you'd get the lifetime warranty on it for that amount, but not if it were used. Bear that in mind.

However, if you've played the one you're talking about and it blew you away buy that one (but try to get the price lower if you can).

As to what do people think about the J-15 here: check out the search feature on this site. There are plenty of reviews and I think every one is positive. It has been very well received in the short time it's been out.

As to walnut, if I remember the consensus on the sound is between mahogany and rosewood. And it's a wood that is sustainable--as in not in short supply like RW. The Jackson Browne signature model that was out about 4 years ago specifically used walnut because JB insisted on it. That's a pretty good endorsement.

Best wishes in your search.

FMA

Here's our own Mr. Gibs demoing a J-15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01nr6au8NDM

and of course Big Thumb Tony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW6LTT5RRkY

Depends on where you are as to whether it is a fabulous deal. In the States, J-15s were just going for about $1250 new at GC (and you could probably get a bit more off too if you haggled).

If you're stateside you'd get the lifetime warranty on it for that amount, but not if it were used. Bear that in mind.

However, if you've played the one you're talking about and it blew you away buy that one (but try to get the price lower if you can).

As to what do people think about the J-15 here: check out the search feature on this site. There are plenty of reviews and I think every one is positive. It has been very well received in the short time it's been out.

As to walnut, if I remember the consensus on the sound is between mahogany and rosewood. And it's a wood that is sustainable--as in not in short supply like RW. The Jackson Browne signature model that was out about 4 years ago specifically used walnut because JB insisted on it. That's a pretty good endorsement.

Best wishes in your search.

FMA

Here's our own Mr. Gibs demoing a J-15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01nr6au8NDM

and of course Big Thumb Tony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW6LTT5RRkY

Thank you for the input and advice. Such a tough thing . . . $1000 is my absolute max I can go (even that's pushing it) but if I spend $850 for something less, what's the extra $150 (got my oldest going to college in the fall so trying to budget).

Thanks,

Jimmy

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. So today I contacted the folks at Guitar Center and they are holding the J-15 for me . . . small deposit that's totally refundable if I choose not to buy or if I buy, I can still return for a full refund in 30 days. So some comments and questions I hope you can help me with:

1. This is a 2014 J-15. They had it rated at 5 stars, which is the highest rating they've given used gear . . . not sure who rated it or how accurate it would be. I did notice last week there was a scratch or two (not bad) on the back.

2. When I go back to check it out, is there anything in particular that I should look for that would be a warning sign NOT to buy this instrument? I wish I could find out why the previous owner sold it after such a short period . . . not sure if they'd have that detail.

3. Anything to look for that would indicate it IS an instrument I should buy.

Again, they've got it for $1,099 but I'm going to push to lower that. Reasonable to request a set-up?

Hope you can shed some light on this and anything else relevant that I could consider.

Thanks in advance. My apologies for all the questions : )

Jimmy

I bet it's a return just because the first owner traded up, or just bought on impulse and the honeymoon ended. The only thing I would really look out for is the action. I've played a few where the action was nice and low and easy, and some where the action was too high for my liking (actually... I found the high action on many more new J35s than J15s).

I'm guessing you like low action... Fairly new to the guitar, and coming from electrics.

A good setup is not that expensive... Maybe $60-80 bucks... But so worthwhile. I am pretty sure I would not trust the kid at GC's repair counter to do the setup. All he might do is tweak the truss rod, which is the wrong way to go about it. Get thee to a good shop, set it up, and get to playing a truly great guitar.

newbie jimmi

I have had my J15 for about 3 months now and hardly play my Taylor 814 at all any more. I absolutely love the shorter scale. I've been playing for over 50 years and have had about 15 acoustics and this one is a keeper.

Dave

J15 is a very good instrument for its price. 1000$ is good I think...

I would play with a Gibson Acoustic J15 on every stage.

The sound is deep and full.

If you buy it I would advise you to put bone nut&saddle&pins.

J15 is a very good instrument for its price. 1000$ is good I think...

I would play with a Gibson Acoustic J15 on every stage.

The sound is deep and full.

If you buy it I would advise you to put bone nut&saddle&pins.

First, wonderful video of you playing the J-15. Awesome and I can tell (as I could in the store, but especially with your playing in this video) that this is going to get me into the tones I was looking to achieve (see the links I originally posted). I played a few Martins which were very nice but to me, did not have the tonal qualities of the J-15.

Given your experience as a dealer (I believe I read that), what should I be looking for to ensure/confirm that this used instrument is in good working order and not going to be a problem going forward? It's a 2014 and cosmetically looks great ... Guitar Center rated is 5-star which is their highest rating on used gear but I don't know what that's based on or who rated it. Any advice here is truly appreciated.

Thanks Mr. Gibs!

Regards,

Jimmy

If it sounds good, looks good and plays good, what are you waiting for?

As long as there are no cracks in the finish on the body and no separation where the neck meets the body, go for it!

I just bought a J-15 and it seems to improve every day. You will not regret this!

• 2 weeks later...

J15s are really good guitars. Seems the J15 and J35 sometimes are considered "lesser" guitars because of their prices. In actuality, they are top shelf instruments. My J15 is a sound cannon. And with killer looks. Kind of a "plain Jane" in the Looks Department if compared to the Hummingbird and J200, but the more you see it the more you notice how good the maple neck and walnut contrast and blend with each other. Really a beauty of an instrument. There are different kinds of beauty. The sound pretty much speaks for itself. Clear, articulate, and plenty of volume. If you've got the bucks, give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I just turned 50 also.

I have both of your guitars a Gibson J-15 and a Gibson Southern Jumbo Special both of mine are fantastic too....

what strings do you like on both Guitars

Archived