Gibson Brands Forums

About the Riviera Valensi P94

tumnutty

Hey all,

I have recently been looking to buy a Epiphone Riviera Valensi with P94s (link), but I have been searching to no avail. I know they were limited edition and are somewhat hard to come by, but I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction as to where to look. Do you guys know of any available listings? I was also curious, how rare and sought after are these, and how hard are they to come by? Is there any chance I'll be able to find one to buy in the next year or so?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Tom

The rarity and their quality go hand in hand- they rarely come on the market because the people with them love them. I would just set reverb and ebay notifications, then just keep an eye on a national craigslist search. Looks like the last one there went up May 23rd.

I have one, and they are very nice. The P-94s with a Frequensator are a unique combination.

Seems like I've seen an average of about two or three a year pop up for sale. Just keep looking & eventually one will turn up.

Be aware that there was a more expensive & short-lived Elitist model, which preceded the Korean made version.

Thank you all for the replies.

Another quick question:

Would I get a similar sound to the Riviera Valensi if I bought a Epiphone Dot and replaced the pickups with Gibson P94s (p94r) (p94t)? They look quite similar and if the sound is similar I might go ahead with that option.

If budget is a concern, a dot with p94s would get you close tonewise, but the feel and construction of standard vs. elitist are a lot different, and you'll probably spend some cash getting it dialed in.

The frequensator adds its own dynamic- there are some 90's MIK humbucker rivieras with a frequensator, you could swap those out for p94s and be pretty close in the tone dept and probably save a few shekels. Those are probably a little bit easier to find than a valensi, especially if you're not too particular on color.

Yes, that one would work, but the price is too steep, imho.

The guitar itself is $600, and then a couple of P94s gets you up to $800. For that much, I'd recommend holding out for a real Valensi, which comes with a one piece mahogany neck, five-ply body, and quality electronics already installed.

I just came across a Valensi Riviera on Reverb.com. It's a bit pricey, but all of the ones I saw on eBay recently were selling for close to $1000.

https://reverb.com/item/817678-rare-2007-epiphone-riviera-nick-valensi-model-natural-mik-peerless-factory-korea

That's an interesting one. Most non-Elitist Valensi models were made in Korea by the Unsung factory, but this one is clearly from Peerless (R serial #). The Unsung version has a true one-piece neck, whereas I see a scarf joint on the Peerless at the heel. I've seen one other Valensi with a scarf joint at both the heal and the headstock, and it too may have come from the Peerless factory.

I purchased mine in 2010. I'd been looking at them for at least a year, and every one I saw was from Unsung with the one-piece neck (not even any headstock wings on the one I have). These variations aren't earth shattering, but I still find them noteworthy for identification purposes.

Mine is the Unsung with a single timber for the neck and headstock. it's absolutely beautiful and with no distortion it sounds like pure crystal blue running mountain stream water.

I have a total of 9 hours gigging tomorrow with very little time between locations and set ups. Giving it a bunch of thought I finally settled on my Valensi to do the jobs. I figure by this time tomorrow night I will have earned back the entire expense of this wonderful guitar.

Rather than shuttling around with separate amps for my acoustic and electric, I'll be running both through my Fishman Loudbox Performer. The semi acoustic Riviera sounds splendid through an acoustic amp.

Archived