Gibson Brands Forums

Inherited this 1966 Gibson L1

At least that's what it appears to be! Many more experts here though. Here's the link to some photos...

My sister had this and may have gotten int new in the mid-60s. Looks like it definitely needs a new bridge. It's dinged up fairly well but nothing horrible. Lots of sentimental value to it so I'll probably get it back into shape. Don't like the narrow neck, but I do look forward to hearing how it sounds with some new strings! Looking for a proper case for it too. Anyone with any info on these or comments/thoughts, please share; thank you!

By the serial number, it's 1965. It's an LG-1, assuming the top is ladder-braced(Transverse bracing) rather than X-braced. The L-1 would is a very old guitar very different from this one. The LG-1 was made from the early 1940's until the late 1960's.

The "special" plastic bridge on this guitar was special only insofar as it was an especially bad idea.

The guitar appears to be in very nice shape, but it's not a very valuable guitar, maybe around $900-$1000 on a very good day. Replacing the plastic bridge with a proper rosewood bridge would cost around $200 or so, depending on where you live, and would be worth it if you want to play the guitar.

Sometimes, the plastic bridge has just worked loose over time, and can be tightened up (with the strings slack) by reaching inside the sound hole with a wrench to tighten the three hex-head lag screws that go up through the bridgeplate and the top of the guitar, and are threaded into the bottom of the plastic bridge. It's worth trying that first, but these bridges sometimes crack when you try that. Do not over-tighten!

Don't touch it cosmetically. The original finish is in good shape, so anything beyond a light cleaning to remove dust, grime, and fingerprints might actually devalue the guitar.

Enjoy it.

Nick, thanks very much. My mistake on the model number, I was going by memory but yes that's also what I had been told, both for the model and the year. I do have an excellent luthier who's going to take a look at it soon and a friend sent me a very nice rosewood bridge that hopefully will work. Thanks too for the tip on not overdoing the refurbishing -- as I said, there are lots of dings and dents and minor scratches but I'll just polish and clean it up as best I can and I bet it will really make a difference. I doubt any of the cosmetic issues it has are serious. I hear TKL makes a good case for it -- the "Canadian" model, I think -- so I'll be looking at one of those too to give it a good home.... Thanks again!

A case should be reasonably easy to come by, as a lot of guitars are very similar in size and shape to this one. The body shape and size are very similar to a lot of classical guitars.

TKL makes good cases, including most of the Gibson factory cases these days. They are in Canada.

They have a good website that shows the dimensions of all their stock cases.

Archived