Gibson Brands Forums

GForce Tuning Issue - 2015 LP Classic

thejay

Kinda frustrated by this guitar.. well not he guitar, the GForce. It will seemingly not hold tune with GForce nor does it tune accurately... Recalibatated... Tried to tune my own custom E Flat (yes the same E flat that is programmed) it's still off. Which by the way its very cool to put in custom tunings! It could totally be me but any advice? If I can't get it to hold a tuning, it's going back which is really frustrating.

Otherwise the guitar is fine, sounds and plays nice. Couple of finish things from the factory that are annoying the bridge has a mark on it that is into the metal... Little sloppy binding too, you'd think for 2300 it would be better...

I have the same guitar, I don't have any of the g-force problems on mine. Do you have the full manual for the G-Force? The reason ask is because they don't have it set to 4/40 they have set a little off, I don't remember the whole explanation they gave for not haveing it set at 4/40 but you can change that setting as well. So that's what I would try. Also keep an eye ont zero fret nut. The strings will start cutting into the brass nut if it's not the new version. The first thing you will notice with that is metal dust on the fretboard of the first fret. Hope I helped.

I have the same guitar, I don't have any of the g-force problems on mine. Do you have the full manual for the G-Force? The reason ask is because they don't have it set to 4/40 they have set a little off, I don't remember the whole explanation they gave for not haveing it set at 4/40 but you can change that setting as well. So that's what I would try. Also keep an eye ont zero fret nut. The strings will start cutting into the brass nut if it's not the new version. The first thing you will notice with that is metal dust on the fretboard of the first fret. Hope I helped.

I downloaded the full manual, I will look to reset it. I wonder why they would do that.

Is the nut not stable if the strings are cutting into it? Thats a new one [cursing]

I downloaded the full manual, I will look to reset it. I wonder why they would do that.

Is the nut not stable if the strings are cutting into it? Thats a new one [cursing]

I had no stability issues. If it starts cutting into the nut just e-mail Gibson and they will send a replacement nut that is made stronger and has smaller slots that the strings feed through. So if you are getting a ping when you do heavy bends at the lower frets on the lower strings like A or E, The smaller slots in the new nut will also eliminate the pings. I've had my 2015 Les Paul Classic since Dec, 2014 and the issue with the nut has been the only major thing with mine and It really wasn't a big issue for me. From the date of my e-mail to Gibson and the replacement nut showing up at my door was about 3 or 4 days tops. It's very easy to change. It takes about 5 minutes tops to swap out the nut.. I did have a couple of barely noticable issues with the finnish and binding. I do agree $2300 the guitar should look flawless. But It sounds and plays so good I didn't care about the tiny flaws with the gloss..

Buy the way! What color did you get? I'd like to see a pic..

DcYDwXB.jpg

There is some green on the binding, there is a healthy knick to the bridge which looks like sticker residue but I tried to clean it off; and its indented into it, are some of the quick 'issues' I noticed. Grain is grain not worried about that, gloss is really nice. My main issue is that it will not hold tune; read the manual and as far as I can tell its in 440, tunes slightly off and will not stay in tune long. By long I mean like strumming for 30 seconds and not aggressively by any means, I am not mad at it when I am playing [biggrin]

I hate to be superficial but I have purchased more than a few guitars, 98% Gibsons for less that do not have any issues, so to spend this much it's a little annoying. If it were cheaper I probably wouldn't care about that stuff, I'd take GForce off and try their standard turners. But not for $2300....verdict still out. Appreciate the help!

Be a shame too b/c I love seafood green; went with something different [thumbup]

IMG_4632_zpslh6ipkra.jpg

It suck about the second thougths because of the G-Force. She looks like a beautiful guitar. As for most peoples issues with the 2015 line the G-Force is one of them. I'm sure there are a few duds out there mine stays in tune.I did have the tuning key for the B string stop working in auto mode (I could still tune manually) but Gibson sent replacements. So I'm sure they would replace the entire unit if it's not working properly. A lot of people (Purist) just didn't give the G-Force a chance or they play one in a shop not knowing how it fully works and probabaly had people just hitting buttons not knowing what they were doing. I figured most people would have an issue with the wider neck but for me I really like how the wider neck feels for my style of playing. Although I do think some models in the usa line should be avalible without the wider neck. As for me, When I'm able to buy another New Les Paul (I have 3 now) I'll still get a 2015 because I like the wider necks. I think my next will be a 2015 les paul traditional.. So what I'm saying is if the G-Force is a dud, tell Gibson and they will make it right. I get that a $2300 guitar should be perfect out of the box. But for the nick or two on mine, it just played and felt to good to send it back because the next one may not play or feel as good. I ordered mine online and got lucky that it felt and played as well as it did. I specifically picked the heaviest one they had (Over 10 lbs.) I just didn't want to take the chance of the replacement being a dud...

I had enough fighting with it, sending it back. Overall it didn't play better than any other guitar I have, GForce great idea and I think it's cool. I am good with what I have for now, if nothing else it made me realize that.

I would agree about the wider neck, I actually liked that quite a bit. Removeble pickguard and hex/Allen wrench system was a win too.

I had enough fighting with it, sending it back. Overall it didn't play better than any other guitar I have, GForce great idea and I think it's cool. I am good with what I have for now, if nothing else it made me realize that.

I would agree about the wider neck, I actually liked that quite a bit. Removeble pickguard and hex/Allen wrench system was a win too.

For the price, It's gotta be what you want and up to your standards.

Is the wider neck integral to Gforce? Another words is the metal zero fret part of the Gforce? So if your model is Gforce then you definitely have a wider neck because the zero fret requires a wider neck? I'm trying to understand why the zero fret has to be wider. The Gforce is more than just an auto headstock tuner. It is a dimentional change to the fretboard. I have no issues with a George Jetson headstock tuner but changing the fretboard width is weird. Is Gibson building their own immitation guitars now? There's more going on here than just auto tuning.Wil the Gforce not work on a standard width neck?

Is the wider neck integral to Gforce?

No.

Another words is the metal zero fret part of the Gforce?

No.

So if your model is Gforce then you definitely have a wider neck because the zero fret requires a wider neck?

No.

I'm trying to understand why the zero fret has to be wider.

Because the 2015 neck is wider.

The Gforce is more than just an auto headstock tuner.

No, it's not.

It is a dimentional change to the fretboard.

No, it's not. The G-Force will bolt in to almost any SG or Les Paul from the last 35 years.

I have no issues with a George Jetson headstock tuner but changing the fretboard width is weird.

Then you should avoid a 2015 Gibson USA modle.

Is Gibson building their own immitation guitars now?

No.

There's more going on here than just auto tuning.

With the G-Force, No. With the 2015 Gibson USA line, Yes.

Wil the Gforce not work on a standard width neck?

Yes. The G-Force will bolt on to almost any Sg or Les Paul from the last 35 years.

No.

No.

No.

Because the 2015 neck is wider.

No, it's not.

No, it's not. The G-Force will bolt in to almost any SG or Les Paul from the last 35 years.

Then you should avoid a 2015 Gibson USA modle.

No.

With the G-Force, No. With the 2015 Gibson USA line, Yes.

Yes. The G-Force will bolt on to almost any Sg or Les Paul from the last 35 years.

Thanks for all the info. Searcy But we are still gonna have to anwser the same questions over and over and over again. The next person that needs info I'm sending to this link. Thanks Searcy..

Let's see in 2014 auto tuners were called MinEtune. In 2015 the auto tuners are called G-Force. What will the 2016 name be? Electronic gadgets are perishable in that they become obsolete almost as fast as they are released. Let's see how many of those MinEtunes, G-Force and what ever the next incarnstion of auto tuners will be around in 10-15 years on the guitars that we own today.

• 1 month later...

Let's see in 2014 auto tuners were called MinEtune. In 2015 the auto tuners are called G-Force. What will the 2016 name be? Electronic gadgets are perishable in that they become obsolete almost as fast as they are released. Let's see how many of those MinEtunes, G-Force and what ever the next incarnstion of auto tuners will be around in 10-15 years on the guitars that we own today.

Yup, that's one of the reasons I held off until the e-tuner became easy to replace with other tuners ... be it current mechanicals or future electronic ... either OEM or aftermarket.

When you look at all the cool things that electronic tuners can do, it's probably going to be the way of the future, and will become more refined .... albeit on the backs of us early adopters.

All those cool multi-tuning features of the G-Force ... without the drawbacks of mechanical system, the 2015's bridge-like adjustable nut (that can turn it into a 'Dobro type' high action neck for slide ... and back again) NO NIBS!!, and the adjustable boost circuit, with a wider neck, in a 'UPS can drop-kick it from 15' high' hardcase ... are all why I ordered one. msp_thumbup.gif

Plus ..... I worked a deal that got it delivered for ~25% off current street, at $1500 from an authorized Gibby shop, and they gave me "pick of the litter" from multi angle pics of 3 different ones that they had in stock .... so I'm willing to see how it all works.

I mean really guys, $1500 is less than a new decent entry level quad copter camera ship ..... and they are not only getting bad press in the media, they are known for just flying away when their autopilot systems hiccup, never to be seen again!! unsure.gif

The only time that happens with a guitar is if you don't use strap locks and go all whirlybird by tossing it about your neck ... like some kind of 1980's, spandex glad, big hair dork. msp_blink.gif

I'll do a NGD post after it gets here next Thursday ....

Archived