Gibson Brands Forums

Old capo

DukeBerryman

That IS a great looking piece. A steampunk capo. Every guitar player should have one!

Yeah, it's totally "steampunk" - I never thought of that! My great uncle played steel guitar, like old Hawaiian stuff, on cruise ships in the 30s. He was real steampunk.

Great capo. I think most capos today are over-engineered. I've been using Shubbs since the '80s and I don't think you can get much better, although sometimes on my D-18 clone I use a Paige, which is just the current generation of the capo you've pictured. I absolutely HATE Kysers. They're big and ugly and pull the guitar out of tune. Plus, I'm not big on Kyser shoving its religious preference in my face.

Here is Frank Ford's page on capos. There are some devices left over from the Spanish Inquisition....

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Acessories/Capo/capo1.html

Here is Frank Ford's page on capos. There are some devices left over from the Spanish Inquisition....

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Acessories/Capo/capo1.html

Great link - I still haven't found another like mine on the internet, but some of those vintage ones come close. I figured it was manufactured by some company, and there would be more out there. By the way, the cork I used to replace the old cork came from a roll of flat cork that you use to line kitchen drawers and shelves. It came with adhesive backing, so I just cut it to size, and stuck it on. Use a little spit to keep it from drying out.

I have used almost every possible capo that's been in use since figure 1969. Cheap ones, expensive ones, pencils and rubber bands, the works.

These from Planet Waves are great....

lbS6Sdm.jpg

Under $13.00 US, or with a plastic body if you're really broke under $9.00. Lately they've even been tossing the plastic one in as a freebie with a two-pack of coated acoustic strings from D'Addario.

They apply only the very merest amount of tension on the strings so retuning is never a problem. You don't need a King Kong grip to open it, and it's very attractive when in use due to its low profile.

At that price point I have one in every case as well as a couple floating around the house.

I have used almost every possible capo that's been in use since figure 1969. Cheap ones, expensive ones, pencils and rubber bands, the works.

These from Planet Waves are great....

lbS6Sdm.jpg

Under $13.00 US, or with a plastic body if you're really broke under $9.00. Lately they've even been tossing the plastic one in as a freebie with a two-pack of coated acoustic strings from D'Addario.

They apply only the very merest amount of tension on the strings so retuning is never a problem. You don't need a King Kong grip to open it, and it's very attractive when in use due to its low profile.

At that price point I have one in every case as well as a couple floating around the house.

Better than a "Tony Rice" $235 capo!Yikes-for a few more bucks you could get a whole guitar! Some folks just have too much money.

Archived