Gibson Brands Forums

UPDATE: Gibson Memphis ES-Les Paul Bass

Frances50

I posted this in the Gibson Memphis forum as well. Does anyone have any experience with these basses? I have been taking rhythm guitar for two years but recently I've been going to the Guitar Center's bass group lessons and I'm hooked. I've played the Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass and it's nice but the Gibson fascinates me. I like the idea of a short scale and it won't be played a great deal. GC doesn't carry one of these and I'd order it from Sweetwater. Just want some input if anyone here can help. Thanks.

UPDATE: I just ordered one from Sweetwater. The bass should ship next week.

Does anyone have any experience with these basses?

I have not seen one, and probably never will in a music store. For some reason, the only Gibson basses that stores stock seem to be SGs (usually the cheaper "faded" versions) msp_confused.gif. I've always thought that if the higher-end Gibsons were available to us to try, they'd sell a lot more of them... I've been very happy with all my long scale Gibsons; best basses out there IMHO.

The Memphis ES is certainly a thing of beauty, and should be for the money. I'm not a fan of short scale basses though, and I've never owned one that wasn't a bit muddy sounding on the low-end. A 34" scale bass will give you a more defined, tighter sound - especially on the E and A strings in the first position. We all have different opinions as far as "the perfect sound" goes; the ES may be just what you're looking for.

If you ordered one from Sweetwater, could you return it at no cost, or would you have to pay for shipping? If you're willing to take a $100.00 gamble on a possible return, I say go for it! It might be great... It's a shame you can't try one before you fork over that much cash msp_unsure.gif.

Let us know.

• 3 weeks later...

I received the guitar and it's absolutely drop dead gorgeous. It has flat wounds and I'll tell you as a complete bass novice, I love them. I bought the Fender Rumble 40 amp with it and I like everything so far. I especially like the short scale. I'm going to bass group lesson next Wednesday night and I'll let you all know what my teacher says. I expect lots of drooling. LOL.

I received the guitar and it's absolutely drop dead gorgeous. It has flat wounds and I'll tell you as a complete bass novice, I love them. I bought the Fender Rumble 40 amp with it and I like everything so far. I especially like the short scale. I'm going to bass group lesson next Wednesday night and I'll let you all know what my teacher says. I expect lots of drooling. LOL.

That's great! Glad you like it msp_thumbup.gif. Now you're going to have to wipe the drool off and post some pics...msp_biggrin.gif

• 2 months later...

I keep coming back to look at your Axe. It is so elegant looking. It has to be one great player too. [thumbup]

Thanks. I love this bass. I'm just a student so I don't have a lot of experience with bass guitars but with the flat wound strings and short scale, learning to play on this bass is effortless. I don't know why Gibson doesn't sell more basses. I have yet to see one of these at the local guitar stores here.

Thanks. I love this bass. I'm just a student so I don't have a lot of experience with bass guitars but with the flat wound strings and short scale, learning to play on this bass is effortless. I don't know why Gibson doesn't sell more basses. I have yet to see one of these at the local guitar stores here.

You may want to try D'addario Nylon Tapewounds on it in the future. [thumbup] I use the D'Addario ETB92M, Medium Scales on my SG Std. They fit better than Short Scales do on the SG Std. anyway. The silks are higher up away from the nut. The sound is a great clear, deep, mellow tone. They do good to on the mids, and highs. You can also get a stand up bass sound if you want it.

MNwRjjM.jpg

Archived