Gibson Brands Forums

Orville by Gibson 57 Reissue

frank1985

I've always fancied owning a Gibson and now have the opportunity to trade in my american vintage 1972 telecaster custom for an OBG 57 RI. I can't seem to find much information on it though - all I know is that it's the 93 fugi gen edition. Are these quality guitars?

Another less likely option is the 1982 Greco EG59.

Which one would you go for?

If I always fancied a Gibson I wouldn't go for either of those. Both are copies, no matter what anyone says. They are not Gibsons.

rct

Ok they're not real Gibsons. I'm just after someone's opinion on how these two particular models compare.

Greco was something we laughed at in the 70's, along with Kent, Tokai, and even Ibanez, and a few others I can't remember. All made by the same companies in the same factories. Trading a Yankee tele for one would be about as...well, not guitar prudent as it gets.

An Orville is a guitar made by Gibson to try and kinda counteract the Asian Pacific fake guitar business. The idea was like Fender making Fender Japan, we'll make a guitar in their yard with essentially our blessing. We'll price it for their market and we'll sell it to them so they don't have to buy fakes. Originally, and until someone from our hosts shows up and tells me otherwise, neither company had any intention of these guitars, Orville or Fender Japan, getting here and being sold. You can't sell a 500 dollar Les Paul next to a 1500 dollar Les Paul and call them both Les Paul, it just doesn't work.

Since anyone anywhere can make a decent guitar, the only comparison that can be done is by you between the two guitars. You might hate them both, who knows.

If you fancy a Gibson, save yer money and buy one. Rarely does anyone buy a Gibson and wish they'd held out for a better copy. But boy, the reverse always happens.

Good luck with it.

rct

I'm not sure what Telecaster is being referred to and whether its a reissue or not, but in any case a USA made Fender could be traded for a real Gibson - especially say a Studio, or LPJ, or BFG, or 50's/60's/70's tribute, could it not?

• 2 months later...

OBG's are fantastic guitars. As good as a top of the range Gibbo? Maybe....Lots of info on the net. Basically assembled in Japan using Gibson parts as rct says. I currently have an Orville which is the cheaper version, (think pups and wring is jap?). Superb guitar.

Interestingly my fave guitar of all is my Greco. Though my Gibson Junior is competing for the top spot...

Bobpost-73495-044937800 1440359072_thumb.jpg

post-73495-035871600 1440359233_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived