Gibson Brands Forums

NGD-Epi ES-335 Pro

gtrman100

I saw a listing on CL, so I picked up this mint shape ES-335 Pro for a great deal-$320 with a gig bag. It plays great, sounds great and I'm impressed with workmanship. I have a G-400 Pro and love it also, so I knew what I was getting with the Pro series. It says Custom Shop on the back of the headstock, but it's just a production Epi, isn't it?

IMG_1275_zpsxvbtkv4f.jpg

IMG_1276_zpsn6qzdyx4.jpg

IMG_1274_zpsmh3evoui.jpg

I saw a listing on CL, so I picked up this mint shape ES-335 Pro for a great deal-$320 with a gig bag. It plays great, sounds great and I'm impressed with workmanship. I have a G-400 Pro and love it also, so I knew what I was getting with the Pro series. It says Custom Shop on the back of the headstock, but it's just a production Epi, isn't it?

IMG_1275_zpsxvbtkv4f.jpg

IMG_1276_zpsn6qzdyx4.jpg

IMG_1274_zpsmh3evoui.jpg

Nice looking 335, gtrman100. You definitely got a good deal, it's way more guitar than the price you paid. The vintage sunburst is THE traditional color for these guitars and just fits the overall look of these instruments. Congrats! [thumbup]

Yes, these are nice guitars. I like the vintage tuners, inlays and binding. Don't know about the Custom Shop label. Someone else may be able to speak to that.

HNGD! [biggrin]

Yeah, the "Custom Shop" designation is pretty silly. I'm sure it's just another guitar on the assembly line. But other than the poly finish, the guitar is as well built as some of my high dollar Gibsons. The poly finish looks good, but not as rich looking(or smelling) as a lacquer one. I'm selling a Gibson 335 because the Epi will be just fine as a substitute.

Regarding the Epi ES 335 Pro folks might be interested to know that Guitar Center has the Ebony and Natural finishes on sale at the moment for $349. After some calling around I was able to find one in Ebony yesterday. Even if you can't find one in stock at GC you may be able to get a price match from one of the other online retailers, such as Musicians Friend. [thumbup]

Regarding the Epi ES 335 Pro folks might be interested to know that Guitar Center has the Ebony and Natural finishes on sale at the moment for $349. After some calling around I was able to find one in Ebony yesterday. Even if you can't find one in stock at GC you may be able to get a price match from one of the other online retailers, such as Musicians Friend. [thumbup]

If you have a hankerin' for a 335, I highly recommend the 335 Pro. It sounds as good or better than my Gibson Dot RI, and plays almost as well(I like the Gibson slim taper slightly better but it's not a big deal). If you can get over the fact that it has a poly finish instead of the luxurious Gibson nitro, there is no reason to pay all that $$$ for a Gibson.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice. How was your guitar on arrival? Did you have to take it in for a set up or was it playable out of the box? I had to take mine in to have the neck set and a couple of frets polished. After that a great playing guitar. 2014 Teaburst

Nice. How was your guitar on arrival? Did you have to take it in for a set up or was it playable out of the box? I had to take mine in to have the neck set and a couple of frets polished. After that a great playing guitar. 2014 Teaburst

I picked up mine used, so it just needed the usual truss rod, bridge and pickup height adjustments. I did have a high fret, but I sanded it down a bit and now it's just fine. What do you mean "have the neck set"? Are you talking about the truss rod adjustment, or removing the neck? If it's the latter, I wouldn't spend that much on these guitars, they're not worth it.

Archived