Gibson Brands Forums

I bought a Masterbilt AJ-500ME

Mickthemiller

I've just bought a Masterbilt AJ-500ME - with the eSonic2 preamp gizmo. Not sure if I've done the right thing yet - and I have to wait three weeks to get it due to holiday/vacation.

I started bidding on it on Ebay last week. Mainly because they are as rare as the proverbial rocking horse poo over here. In fact it must be the first I've seen on Ebay in the last few years.

I got a bit carried away (only about £20 over what I should have - so not that bad). Anyway today, about 3 hours before it sold, someone bid against me and the price shot up by £30 to only £4 less than my maximum bid. I felt very pragmatic about being outbid and even looked elsewhere for something of a similar price. GAS is such a terrible disease isn't it?

Long story short - the second bidder dropped out and made no more bids. So I sat there expecting to be outbid in the last second - and it never happened.

So, as I say, I now have a Masterbilt AJ-500ME - with eSonic2. It's natural satin finished (yes I know, let's not start that debate again)

I wanted it when I first bid on it - then I found myself looking at the Yamaha LL 16 A.R.E Dark Tinted - solid rosewood back n sides http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ll_16_are_dt.htm#bewertung and the Stanford DJ-45 Deja Vu Series also solid rosewood back and rosewood lam sides. http://www.thomann.de/gb/stanford_dj_45_deja_vu_series.htm#bewertung That bubble has now burst - well for a while at least.

I'll let you all know what the Masterbilt is like when I get it - maybe some of you could tell me your tales of joy or woe regarding the AJ-500ME.

Oh, by the way, it's a 2009 model made in China.

One great thing that will come about as a result of this is that you'll be able to compare the AJ-500ME to the AJ-45ME. I look forward to hearing how they compare.

Me too Cliff, me too. Got a feeling that one of them may go in the end

Well, the bracing is different.

Do you own a Texan, too?

You ever feel like you own too many of essentially the same guitar?

Cliff I own too many guitars full stop. I buy em, try em, sell em. Unless I take to them and feel they are keepers. I have sold 4 in the last few weeks. A Loar LH600 archtop. an Epiphone LP special with P90s. a Sigma OM. and an Epiphone AJ220 VS. I sold a couple of Recording Kings not long before that and a Gibson LPJ. I had a Martin Dreadnought a few years ago and I sold it because it made my shoulder ache (really bad). I missed it so much - the sound - the deep bass - that dread sound. Then I came upon the AJ220 (£119) in the local music store (which is just round the corner from me - yes all those guitars saying "buy me!" every time I pass) and I was into dreads again, and I thought "well it's only a bit of pain in the shoulder - I could easily have that due to old age anyway".

I do have a Texan - sunburst beautiful - and I really like the sound. It does not sound or feel like the AJ-45ME - nor does it sound like the AJ220 and the AJ220 does not sound like the AJ45 - if you get my drift. I also have the Harley Benton (all solid dread) from Thomann (£214) and it plays like a dream - but not like any of the other three. All four have a different feel and sound and tone, but they all sound good.

I reckon that this AJ500 will have to be super good for me to hang on to it - I have a feeling it will be the one to go. But it will get a fair trial.

Cliff I'm in my 70th year (I still feel 17) so I think "sod it have what you want Mick" if I don't squander my hard earned pension and savings someone else will. Keeps me happy.

Cliff I own too many guitars full stop. I buy em, try em, sell em. Unless I take to them and feel they are keepers. I have sold 4 in the last few weeks. A Loar LH600 archtop. an Epiphone LP special with P90s. a Sigma OM. and an Epiphone AJ220 VS. I sold a couple of Recording Kings not long before that and a Gibson LPJ. I had a Martin Dreadnought a few years ago and I sold it because it made my shoulder ache (really bad). I missed it so much - the sound - the deep bass - that dread sound. Then I came upon the AJ220 (£119) in the local music store (which is just round the corner from me - yes all those guitars saying "buy me!" every time I pass) and I was into dreads again, and I thought "well it's only a bit of pain in the shoulder - I could easily have that due to old age anyway".

I do have a Texan - sunburst beautiful - and I really like the sound. It does not sound or feel like the AJ-45ME - nor does it sound like the AJ220 and the AJ220 does not sound like the AJ45 - if you get my drift. I also have the Harley Benton (all solid dread) from Thomann (£214) and it plays like a dream - but not like any of the other three. All four have a different feel and sound and tone, but they all sound good.

I reckon that this AJ500 will have to be super good for me to hang on to it - I have a feeling it will be the one to go. But it will get a fair trial.

Cliff I'm in my 70th year (I still feel 17) so I think "sod it have what you want Mick" if I don't squander my hard earned pension and savings someone else will. Keeps me happy.

That's awesome!

Anyway today, about 3 hours before it sold, someone bid against me and the price shot up by £30 to only £4 less than my maximum bid..... Long story short - the second bidder dropped out and made no more bids. So I sat there expecting to be outbid in the last second - and it never happened.

Lucky! I normally only bid once in the last 10 seconds of an auction. Why give a competitor any information that they might act upon? Yes, call me a sniper, but as a game theorist, it's the only way to play. [wink]

I'm not sure how you're not going to like that AJ500ME. I'm thinking you're going to like it. HNGD and nice score! But 3 weeks? Yeah, that's tough. I guess you've got guitars you can play until then.

Lucky! I normally only bid once in the last 10 seconds of an auction. Why give a competitor any information that they might act upon? Yes, call me a sniper, but as a game theorist, it's the only way to play. [wink]

I'm not sure how you're not going to like that AJ500ME. I'm thinking you're going to like it. HNGD and nice score! But 3 weeks? Yeah, that's tough. I guess you've got guitars you can play until then.

Unfortunately or fortunately (just depends on your point of view) I will be away from home for most of that time (lounging about at a villa in the med) - (oh poor me [rolleyes]) but I will have no guitar at all. But it will be nice to come home to [thumbup]

Congrats Mick hope you like it . The Yamaha LL16 is nice had that before I gave it back due to some blemishes and then I got the Blue Ridge .

The LL 16's neck was a little thick and I was not over confident with its heavy strumming tone but picking she was sweet with that Engleman top.beautiful banding 5pc neck was pretty to . 😃

I certainly don't think you can ever have too many guitars, haha. I have the AJ-500RE, it is a pretty fantastic guitar. Both in how it looks as it ages, and how the tone deepens. There is enough differences between the 500 and the 45 that I can't for see you wanting to get rid of either of them. Enjoy them both, and GAS for another masterbilt, like an EF. [biggrin]

Archived