Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby tremolo replacements or modifications?

bacongrease

I have a Riviera P93 that came stock with a Bigsby. I never use it. It's just there pushed aside toward the strap button & this doesn't allow it to fall back. What options are there if any? If I removed the assembly I'd be left with two holes in the body. I don't want that. Suggestions?

you could always switch over to a trapeze or frequensator tailpiece. as far as the holes go in the top of the body; you could get them filled by a pro but it would likely be costly. the other option would be to put the screws back in. if you have the wine red or black model; you could get a paint pen and paint the tops of the screws to match. they would probably go un-noticed unless you got up close to the guitar.

I dislike it. If I break a string on the Bigsby--as with any tremolo bridge--the whole thing will be thrown off, right?

I don't think the bigsby will be as suspect as others that depend on the balance points from the string tension like a Rose or Kahler. I can't say with 100% certainty because it's probably been 20 years since I've broken a string.

I dislike it. If I break a string on the Bigsby--as with any tremolo bridge--the whole thing will be thrown off, right?

On the Floyd Rose trem the entire guitar goes incredibly and hideously out of tune, on the Bigsby it loses some pitch, but it's nowhere near as bad.

I removed the Bigsby B70 unit from my Riviera P93 and replaced it with a frequensator. Completes the look I think and doesn't have tuning issues now :)

Will post a picture later on for you to see!

It'll feel looser as there isn't a spring acting against the string tension. I've found similar effects when I blocked the trem on my old Squier Stratocaster; the trem made it harder to bend accurately as the unit would move as I did.

Archived