Gibson Brands Forums

searching for clean combo amp

merciful-evans

Hi,

This could be a futile request because I have searched in vain so far, but…

I’m looking for a small amp combo with the following features

• It needs to have an effects loop facility.

• It should have a line out socket.

• It should be dry and clean.

• It should be solid state.

The reason for the above is that all tonal colour will be via a signal processor, and the amp itself will be used to line out to the PA and act as my monitor.

I find that even acoustic amps are laden with effects, though amps for Jazz have shown some promise.

Just to be clear: I am not interested in tubes/valves/effects/modelling/distortion/etc.

Any ideas / solutions appreciated.

Thanks guys

If you can find a used Crate Telluride amp over in the UK, I can highly recommend it for you, given your desired specifications.

True, it has some adjustable parameters for effects that you may or may not ever use (chorus, delay, and reverb), but the clean, dry sounds that it offers are fantastic.

Tone for days.

I have owned mine for a few years, and I have found that it handles acoustics, hollow-body electrics, semi-hollowbody electrics, and solid-body electrics with equal ease.

Effects loop, yes.

Line out the PA, and noise-free signal at that, yes.

If you can find one locally that some other fellow is looking to sell, I would definitely recommend you plug into it and give it a try.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/crate-ca125dg-telluride-125w-acoustic-amp-with-dsp#productDetail

And oh yes;

It also has an input and separate volume and eq controls for a vocal mic.

Just in case you ever do street-corner live performances.

I have used my Telluride for small one-man gigs, and it is the all-in-one package.

Very versatile!!

Thanks sparquelito. Its added to my list.

And oh yes;

It also has an input and separate volume and eq controls for a vocal mic.

Just in case you ever do street-corner live performances.

Yikes! I've been down on my luck before. I hope things dont come to that [scared]

these tech 21s power stations are pretty much made just for what you're looking to do...

not sure how critical the fx loop is (if you're using a looper. I get it,, you'd want an fx loop)

effect loop: Its vital.

I dont use a looper.

I use a signal processor. Only by slaving the amp to the processor can I fully & reliably control EQ uniformity for all strings.

merciful evans,

What sort of effects processor do you favor?

(Korg, Digitech, etc)

In my experience, if you use a multi-effects processor for eq, you really don't need a guitar amp.

What you want is a PA system.

The Fender Passport series are nice, if you want an all-in-one package.

Just thinking out loud.

merciful evans,

What sort of effects processor do you favor?

(Korg, Digitech, etc)

In my experience, if you use a multi-effects processor for eq, you really don't need a guitar amp.

What you want is a PA system.

The Fender Passport series are nice, if you want an all-in-one package.

Just thinking out loud.

I know what you mean. I used a Boss GT-5 for a very long time. I have been using a Line 6 POD HD400 this year. I know I can use the bands PA and I do in fact. I use the amps line out to the PA. I still need the amp as a monitor.

I use a Fender Stage 112 SE and its fine. I just wanted something smaller & lighter.

I know what you mean. I used a Boss GT-5 for a very long time. I have been using a Line 6 POD HD400 this year. I know I can use the bands PA and I do in fact. I use the amps line out to the PA. I still need the amp as a monitor.

I use a Fender Stage 112 SE and its fine. I just wanted something smaller & lighter.

Ah, so NOW I'm finally tracking.

(I'm a little slow on the uptake, I must admit.)

Great clean sound, lightweight, sounds like any of the new Peavey amps will do.

My Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 is crazy-lightweight, but unfortunately it's laden with so many amp-modeling features and crazy effects that it would probably drive you crazy.

Still, it is quite versatile, the clean voices are great, and it's a nice lightweight guitar monitor at a decent price.

Have you considered just buying an extra monitor speaker, and chaining off the PA speaker nearest to the corner of the stage where you play?

When my band plays, we always chain (cable in, cable out to the next speaker) from the PA power mixer to the largest PA cab, then to the middle speaker cabs, and then finally to small monitor speakers that we face directly back toward our faces.

As long as your Line 6 POD HD400 is loud enough in the room mix, it should be a great sound coming back at you in PA chain.

Ah, so NOW I'm finally tracking.

Have you considered just buying an extra monitor speaker, and chaining off the PA speaker nearest to the corner of the stage where you play?

When my band plays, we always chain (cable in, cable out to the next speaker) from the PA power mixer to the largest PA cab, then to the middle speaker cabs, and then finally to small monitor speakers that we face directly back toward our faces.

As long as your Line 6 POD HD400 is loud enough in the room mix, it should be a great sound coming back at you in PA chain.

Why didnt I think of that?

Ive been stuck in the rut too long obviously.

Thanks for pointing out what should have stuck out like a sore thumb! [thumbup]

m-e the other guitarist in my covers band uses 2 Fender Stages live and I use 2 Fender Princeton 112+'s (SS) - effects loop yes, but sadly no line out - we both mic to the PA via a stagebox into the desk.

now, there is something called a Fender Satellite - damned if I can remember how it works but its ringing a bell - worth looking up maybe?

Archived